LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Alex's Injury?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Alex plays this weekend with a sprained shoulder would he get more praise from this board?
Hey Shaj...I think Alex only went to london for the MRI to get free healthcare.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
If Alex plays this weekend with a sprained shoulder would he get more praise from this board?

eric davis didn't come out and say it, but he did say that "a defensive player would have popped an aspirin and got back in there".

i think smith is done. mentally, he is the equivalent of an abused child left alone with his drunk step dad. better that he just "nurse" his wounds until january. if he played, i would be indifferent to it.
Originally posted by 49ermark:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
A lot of you guys are delusional when it comes to bashing Alex Smith.

- Alex Smith is the best QB CURRENTLY on the roster.

The Plan SHOULD be:
1.) Fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach
The problem we've had is a lack of continuity on offense. And philosophically, we've carried a ball-control team that relied on a good defense to win games. True, that CAN win ballgames, as seen with the Ravens and Steelers... But I think the fans have had enough with this line of thinking. MOST winning teams in the league are quarterback-driven.

One of the major problems we've had is the lack of continuity on offense. By hiring an offensive-minded coach, that problem is solved for as long as he's head coach. It'll be HIS offense. I'd prefer if he keeps Mike Johnson, because I think he'll be a good play-caller in the long-run. It'd be nice to be a West Coast Offense, but it all depends on who is available at the time. If Mike Johnson can adapt and run a WCO, or whatever offense the new HC wants, that'd be good. If not, we'll have to see him go.

Gruden, in my opinion, is our best choice. He runs a West Coast offense, but uses a power-running variation of it. It would fit our personnel very well, and we'd have minimal turnover as he brings in guys that would fit his scheme. But all in all... it depends on who's available.

2A.) Look for a free agent QB or trade for one.
This team is ready to win now. Unfortunately for Alex this season, the offensive line is too young and inexperienced for a marginal QB to win with. A superstar QB like Manning probably could win, but not a QB on the fringe like Alex.

By next season though, HOPEFULLY the line will have progressed like it should have. They should be able to take care of whoever is their QB. (That's a big if, and a question the head coach needs to seriously consider).

But we need to try to upgrade the QB position via a trade or free agent signing. The offense has everything it needs, except the QB. The offensive line needs time to gel. Like I said, it's unfortunate for Alex that it had to be this season... but it is what it is. By next year, the only missing piece on offense is the QB.

2B.) Draft a QB high in the draft.
Alex Smith may or may not be the answer (most will probably say he is NOT). But if we cannot find a veteran QB, we must draft a QB. That QB will be in a very good situation, especially if we fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach.

Reason I say he'll be in a good situation is this... This rookie will not be (hopefully!) on a team that just went 2-14 like Alex Smith did. He'll have Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and Frank Gore as weapons. He'll (hopefully) have an emerging offensive line that had experienced its growing pains the season before.

3.) Retain Alex Smith for 2 years
Unless we land a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, the QB situation will likely be questionable. We'll most likely get a solid veteran on the level of Kyle Orton, or someone like that.

Or, if we went with Option 1B and drafted a QB, he'll be a rookie. Who knows if he'll be ready to play? With an established offensive cast, he could potentially have a rookie season a la Ryan or Sanchez... or he might need some time.

If it's the latter, rather than the former, we'll need someone who knows the offense and has a decent amount of chemistry with his teammates. That man could be Alex Smith. It also gives a LONGSHOT chance that Alex could bust a Drew Brees, but it's more to give the rookie QB time to groom.

Wait..

Did you just say "retain Alex Smith for two years?"

Why on God's Green Earth WHY? Isn't this season ENOUGH for you already? You really want him back at the controls?

Nope -- I say we cut our losses. Alex Smith is gone. I don't care if he develops into Superman with another team. Who gives a rat's hind end? I don't. I want Alex GONE. Period. End of story.

The rest of your post I agree with. Kind of. Well -- to be honest -- my eyes kind of glazed over with that "Retain Alex Smith" part. I started barfing on my computer screen from that point forward.

That's great. Who do you want at QB? Draft a rook and hope it pans out? Or get a s*itty retread free agent QB. It's VERY rare to have a solid starting QB on the market. Smith will probably be the best option until a youngster is groomed.

Or, there might be Shaun Hill. Boy, if we had him we would be the best team in the NFL. He is amazing.
For better or for worse, the best the 49ers could hope for next season would be that Jed would hire Gruden, or someone with a similar offensive pedigree, and get it done immediately after the season is over. That person could then talk to Alex and convince him that there will be an actual 2011 NFL offensive scheme in place that would allow players to take advantage of their skill set instead of some archaic mindset that has been dead for 20 years, and consequently Smith would have a chance to actually play in a decent system.

While I do not believe that will happen, it would allow the 49ers to have a starter in place that can run things until a rookie develops. I don't want to see another Rattay for five games and then a raw rookie begins on-the-field training.

As to an FA coming in that will be measurably better than Smith, that will not happen. Even a cursory look at starting QBs around the league will quickly reveal that there are 3 classes; some very good ones who will not be available at any price, some who are definitely worse than Smith, and about a dozen who are just like Alex Smith but wearing a different jersey right now.

In all my years of watching NFL football, I have never seen a year so marked by poor quality QB play, and it isn't getting any better. Hence, the best thing that can happen for the 49ers is that Smith gets healthy and can play again before the season is over.

We will know about that when the X-rays and MRI are completed. He will have to be healthy enough to at least hand off with both hands. Unfortunately, in order for a shoulder separation to heal properly, it needs to be immobilized, or at least in a limited range of motion for a period of time. With this OL playing as poorly as it is, Smith would be a fool to come back and attempt to play before his shoulder is fully healed. If he comes back early and re-injures it, he will have less value in FA after this season. Therefore it is in his best interest not to waste his body on an offense that is dragging a pre-historic offensive philosophy around by the neck.

I am just beside myself...You really believe Alex (6year plan) Smith is still our future QB? You want to keep him ? You don't think he has caused enough damage?

GOOOOD GRIEF!!!!!Amazing some people are still holding onto a dream that will never come true. Let's drop this loser and move on. I for one can't take another losing season. Alex=LOSER

Did I say he is our future? It's ridiculous that if someone tries to use logic people freak out.

What is the alternative? We have a pretty good team besides the QB. I don't want to rebuild with a rookie QB, our team is too good for that. If we don't get a good free agent QB, and we probably won't because there won't be any out there, who do you want to play? Smith will probably be the best option.

Again, I'm not saying he is good. He is an average QB. But, he is by far and away the best option. And next year, he probably will be also. If we get a youngster, we should not put him in immediately. Instead of being "besides yourself" give me a real solution. Anyone besides Alex? Does that include David Carr?
I could care less if he plays, injured or not. My hope would be that Nate Davis would get the call off the practice squad, but he still is in Sing's doghouse apparently. Why that is, nobody knows.

What has this team have to lose by putting the most talented physical specimen on the field at this point?

Alex Smith sucks when healthy or injured.
David Carr is not the answer.
Troy Smith is a question mark.
Time to try Nate Davis.................
Originally posted by 76Razor:

eric davis didn't come out and say it, but he did say that "a defensive player would have popped an aspirin and got back in there".

i think smith is done. mentally, he is the equivalent of an abused child left alone with his drunk step dad. better that he just "nurse" his wounds until january. if he played, i would be indifferent to it.

he's a p*ssy ive been saying it for quite a while sissy a$$ foo has no heart

take a seat you lil b*tch!!!
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

i won't go that far, homie. but i will say he's just battered-as i am sure many players are. you know many of the players ask themselves "WHEN?"

one thing i will give props to sing for is not doing alex like nolan did with his injury.
Forget about Nate Davis. It's not happening. Whether you like him or not. Not until bigger fish fry will we not go down that far in the QB depth chart

[ Edited by BETTERDAYZ9ERS on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:56:58 ]
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

i won't go that far, homie. but i will say he's just battered-as i am sure many players are. you know many of the players ask themselves "WHEN?"

one thing i will give props to sing for is not doing alex like nolan did with his injury.

He's a millionare because of "US" the fans that keep buying into his sorry a$$
at the end of the day the dirtbag can care less what the fans think about him

F*ck him!!!!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I could care less if he plays, injured or not. My hope would be that Nate Davis would get the call off the practice squad, but he still is in Sing's doghouse apparently. Why that is, nobody knows.

What has this team have to lose by putting the most talented physical specimen on the field at this point?

Alex Smith sucks when healthy or injured.
David Carr is not the answer.
Troy Smith is a question mark.
Time to try Nate Davis.................

Davis probably did something to his fam or something...tangent, did anyone watch that video on Sing and his 7 kids! Daughters are hot...I see what that safety from the Rams sees in the Singletary fam.

Forget about Nate Davis. It's not happening. Whether you like him or not. Not until bigger fish fry will we go down that far in the QB depth chart

true. people need to stop these things:

1. asking/begging for nate davis
2. asking/begging for gruden
3. asking/begging for luck

i like davis, but really, he has been available to other teams and no one jumped. what does that tell you?
Originally posted by 49ermark:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
A lot of you guys are delusional when it comes to bashing Alex Smith.

- Alex Smith is the best QB CURRENTLY on the roster.

The Plan SHOULD be:
1.) Fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach
The problem we've had is a lack of continuity on offense. And philosophically, we've carried a ball-control team that relied on a good defense to win games. True, that CAN win ballgames, as seen with the Ravens and Steelers... But I think the fans have had enough with this line of thinking. MOST winning teams in the league are quarterback-driven.

One of the major problems we've had is the lack of continuity on offense. By hiring an offensive-minded coach, that problem is solved for as long as he's head coach. It'll be HIS offense. I'd prefer if he keeps Mike Johnson, because I think he'll be a good play-caller in the long-run. It'd be nice to be a West Coast Offense, but it all depends on who is available at the time. If Mike Johnson can adapt and run a WCO, or whatever offense the new HC wants, that'd be good. If not, we'll have to see him go.

Gruden, in my opinion, is our best choice. He runs a West Coast offense, but uses a power-running variation of it. It would fit our personnel very well, and we'd have minimal turnover as he brings in guys that would fit his scheme. But all in all... it depends on who's available.

2A.) Look for a free agent QB or trade for one.
This team is ready to win now. Unfortunately for Alex this season, the offensive line is too young and inexperienced for a marginal QB to win with. A superstar QB like Manning probably could win, but not a QB on the fringe like Alex.

By next season though, HOPEFULLY the line will have progressed like it should have. They should be able to take care of whoever is their QB. (That's a big if, and a question the head coach needs to seriously consider).

But we need to try to upgrade the QB position via a trade or free agent signing. The offense has everything it needs, except the QB. The offensive line needs time to gel. Like I said, it's unfortunate for Alex that it had to be this season... but it is what it is. By next year, the only missing piece on offense is the QB.

2B.) Draft a QB high in the draft.
Alex Smith may or may not be the answer (most will probably say he is NOT). But if we cannot find a veteran QB, we must draft a QB. That QB will be in a very good situation, especially if we fire Singletary and hire an offensive-minded Head Coach.

Reason I say he'll be in a good situation is this... This rookie will not be (hopefully!) on a team that just went 2-14 like Alex Smith did. He'll have Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and Frank Gore as weapons. He'll (hopefully) have an emerging offensive line that had experienced its growing pains the season before.

3.) Retain Alex Smith for 2 years
Unless we land a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, the QB situation will likely be questionable. We'll most likely get a solid veteran on the level of Kyle Orton, or someone like that.

Or, if we went with Option 1B and drafted a QB, he'll be a rookie. Who knows if he'll be ready to play? With an established offensive cast, he could potentially have a rookie season a la Ryan or Sanchez... or he might need some time.

If it's the latter, rather than the former, we'll need someone who knows the offense and has a decent amount of chemistry with his teammates. That man could be Alex Smith. It also gives a LONGSHOT chance that Alex could bust a Drew Brees, but it's more to give the rookie QB time to groom.

Wait..

Did you just say "retain Alex Smith for two years?"

Why on God's Green Earth WHY? Isn't this season ENOUGH for you already? You really want him back at the controls?

Nope -- I say we cut our losses. Alex Smith is gone. I don't care if he develops into Superman with another team. Who gives a rat's hind end? I don't. I want Alex GONE. Period. End of story.

The rest of your post I agree with. Kind of. Well -- to be honest -- my eyes kind of glazed over with that "Retain Alex Smith" part. I started barfing on my computer screen from that point forward.

That's great. Who do you want at QB? Draft a rook and hope it pans out? Or get a s*itty retread free agent QB. It's VERY rare to have a solid starting QB on the market. Smith will probably be the best option until a youngster is groomed.

Or, there might be Shaun Hill. Boy, if we had him we would be the best team in the NFL. He is amazing.
For better or for worse, the best the 49ers could hope for next season would be that Jed would hire Gruden, or someone with a similar offensive pedigree, and get it done immediately after the season is over. That person could then talk to Alex and convince him that there will be an actual 2011 NFL offensive scheme in place that would allow players to take advantage of their skill set instead of some archaic mindset that has been dead for 20 years, and consequently Smith would have a chance to actually play in a decent system.

While I do not believe that will happen, it would allow the 49ers to have a starter in place that can run things until a rookie develops. I don't want to see another Rattay for five games and then a raw rookie begins on-the-field training.

As to an FA coming in that will be measurably better than Smith, that will not happen. Even a cursory look at starting QBs around the league will quickly reveal that there are 3 classes; some very good ones who will not be available at any price, some who are definitely worse than Smith, and about a dozen who are just like Alex Smith but wearing a different jersey right now.

In all my years of watching NFL football, I have never seen a year so marked by poor quality QB play, and it isn't getting any better. Hence, the best thing that can happen for the 49ers is that Smith gets healthy and can play again before the season is over.

We will know about that when the X-rays and MRI are completed. He will have to be healthy enough to at least hand off with both hands. Unfortunately, in order for a shoulder separation to heal properly, it needs to be immobilized, or at least in a limited range of motion for a period of time. With this OL playing as poorly as it is, Smith would be a fool to come back and attempt to play before his shoulder is fully healed. If he comes back early and re-injures it, he will have less value in FA after this season. Therefore it is in his best interest not to waste his body on an offense that is dragging a pre-historic offensive philosophy around by the neck.

I am just beside myself...You really believe Alex (6year plan) Smith is still our future QB? You want to keep him ? You don't think he has caused enough damage?

GOOOOD GRIEF!!!!!Amazing some people are still holding onto a dream that will never come true. Let's drop this loser and move on. I for one can't take another losing season. Alex=LOSER

Did I say he is our future? It's ridiculous that if someone tries to use logic people freak out.

What is the alternative? We have a pretty good team besides the QB. I don't want to rebuild with a rookie QB, our team is too good for that. If we don't get a good free agent QB, and we probably won't because there won't be any out there, who do you want to play? Smith will probably be the best option.

Again, I'm not saying he is good. He is an average QB. But, he is by far and away the best option. And next year, he probably will be also. If we get a youngster, we should not put him in immediately. Instead of being "besides yourself" give me a real solution. Anyone besides Alex? Does that include David Carr?

Some of you are worse than women and have SEVERE reading comprehension issues. He never said "ALECKS IZ TEH FOOTURE!" Please re-read.

Anyway, my stance on Alex is that it's probably best for EVERYONE involved (from a business stand point) to part ways. Nothing personal...strictly business. Whether we like it or not...Alex Smith has become the symbol for this teams failures. His "fault" or not...it doesn't matter. We need a fresh start and so does he. I'm sure he want a new start as well.

The ONLY way I'd want Smith to come back is in a BACK UP role. Again, this is after DRAFTING a QB in the 1st round and/or signing a proven vet. If we DRAFT a QB in the 1st round...then Alex can stick around like Rattay. Play a while then let the new kid take over. Again, that's not the best idea but there's just no way Alex comes back the starter in San Fran.
I do find it interesting though -- how many of Alex's supporters are so ready to ditch Carr -- when he hasn't even started Game One yet.

You know who these people are. They are the posters who call us "haters," or "not a true fan," or some other garbage.

I just find it interesting that they're willing to give Alex game after game after game after game after game to straighten it out (which he never will folks -- and that's the sad truth). Yet they're riding Carr's nvuts after two quarters of play.

Where is the consistency here? Perhaps it's the Smith supporters who are not true fans? Perhaps they are more in love with one player rather than the team itself.

Hmm....

A point to ponder....

Being a true fan has nothing to do with supporting Alex Smith. A true fan routes for their team regardless of who is in the starting lineup. A true fan's loyalty doesn't waver, ever. I think by now most 49er fans realize that Alex Smith is not the long term answer and that in the short term this team is playing the best offensive football it will until a better qb takes over. It was clear yesterday that David Carr's intangibles are not as good as Alex Smith's. I mean come on bro, a check down on 4th down from 60 yards out? Any other qb is going to drop back, step up, and throw that ball towards the end zone. Carr didn't even trust his arm to make the throw. Alex Smith gives us the best chance to win, and in the end that is what any true fan wants their team to do.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Wow.

I can't believe people are questioning the kids toughness.

You know he's played with a third degree separation in his throwing shoulder that needed surgery, right? He knows that injury and knew he separated his shoulder. After an injury like that, pain isn't even a factor. It's about actually having the physical ability to play. Kid wouldn't even have been able to handle the snap because of swelling.

Also, Smith had been hit more than any other QB this season and hadn't missed a snap.
Originally posted by kazak13:
well any info on how serious it is? I couldnt catch it on tv..

so how much more do we appreciate Alex now that we seen David Carr? Troy Smith in anytime soon?

We dont appreciate the bust known as Alex Smith........the question we should be asking is if Singletary and company had no faith in Carr and the rest of the backups why did we get rid of Shaun Hill !
Share 49ersWebzone