There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Isaac Sopoaga as our FB in the last drive

Did anyone see Isaac Sopoaga on the last drive as our fullback?! The man did great! I think we should seriously consider him for short yardage situations? Here is a bit I read in the post-game article, “When he comes in the offensive huddle in practice, I leave,” Spencer said. “I just go to the sideline. I'm not messing with Isaac. He's a very athletic big man. Offensively and defensively, I think he really helps out when he goes in there."

When the coaching staff told Sopoaga he was headed into the game to play fullback, he was excited. Sopoaga played rugby for 12 years, and he said lining up at fullback brought him back to those days.

He loves the opportunity to hit guys with a running start.

“I enjoy it, and I hope there’s more coming,” he said.

Thoughts?

article link http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/49ers-Ready-to-Roll/40ea64a6-b93e-4e33-9c1e-49132e06c08d

[ Edited by BleedRandG on Oct 17, 2010 at 21:44:41 ]
I missed the game on TV, but caught this play on the radio. I think it was a brilliant idea. Wonder if this was something that Johnson thought of.
I don't think the offensive line can make a big enough hole for Soap. Someone on that line has to make the sacrifice, cause they will get hurt when Soap goes through it. The health of our O-line is very questionable if Soap is in the backfield on a consistent basis.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 17, 2010 at 21:49:57 ]
  • 9r4lf
it was awesome! dude rolled the LB
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I don't think the offensive line can make a big enough hole for Soap. Someone on that line has to make the sacrifice, cause they will get hurt when Soap goes through it. The health of our O-line is very questionable if Soap is in the backfield on a consistent basis.

come on. really?
Originally posted by FourNine49:

come on. really?

You're not taking my post seriously are you...?
I was wondering do you guys think Mike Johnson was the one thought of this I say its a great idea. I bet he got sick and tired of Norris slow and weak @ss.

come on. really?

Yes. I don't know how you even got to your comment.
That is awesome. Watching it at the bar, I didn't even notice.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
That is awesome. Watching it at the bar, I didn't even notice.

he totally smacked right into someone like a train
Fridge 2.
Originally posted by English:
Fridge 2.

Cosigned. We should do it more often. Like 2 or 3 times per game. If he gets a hole there's no LB that can get to the RB.

come on. really?

Yes. I don't know how you even got to your comment.

actually when i played ball in hs, we had this big bruiser that would just hit the hole

super hard, and unless you made the hole big enough, this guy would hit you in

the back/kidneys/elbows, i got hit in the lower back,s*** hurt real bad, although

im not sure if a injury is real possible, but with a big a** samoan dude like soap

running into you, who knows
Bill Walsh was the 1st to put a lineman at the fullback position. Guy McIntyre
was in that role in 84, then the bears copied it with Fridge perry in 85. Perry was more famous since he got a TD in the super bowl.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by English:
Fridge 2.

Cosigned. We should do it more often. Like 2 or 3 times per game. If he gets a hole there's no LB that can get to the RB.

Cosigned +1

One of the few offensive contraptions from the old-school Bears that actually isn't a bad idea.