LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Resigning Lawson.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 8to80
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Originally posted by 8to80:
I will have to admit that I am impressed with how he is playing this season, but that isn't saying much. I do consider that he was injured his 2nd season. Putting it bluntly, he is average at best. He is extremely athletic, and that is why he was picked in the 1st round of a draft. But, it's his 4th year in the league, and he has yet to show us he is better than average. The only compliment I can give is that he's extremely athletic, and he is an all-around OLB. But, he doesn't excel in any particular area. So we should sign him to a long-term deal? I would rather have us take our chances w/signing Merriman. At least Merriman has shown above average ability.

Hmmm how can someone be extremely athletic and just be average? Not making much sense. His key INT stopped the Raiders' momentum in the 1st qtr. He does wreak a lot of havoc in the backfield. He did have 6 sacks last year. Not too shabby.

That INT was a game changer. More so than a sack would have been. Some of you seem to live and die by sacks. Lawson is rangy enough to play safety. How many other LB's in this league make that INT? Just a handful and one of those others is on our team.

Extremely athletic: Jamarcus Russel, Reggie Bush, Charles Rogers, Troy Williamson
How can these guys be extremely athletic and not be above average players? That's a good question. I am not referring to just his ability to pass rush (below-average). His coverage skills are also below-average. How many LB's in this league make that INT? I have a better question: How many LB's have a higher INT per game average than Lawson? BTW, Lawson has 2 INTs & 9 Pass defenses in 54 games. QBs must deliberatly throw away from Lawson since he can make "incredible interceptions".

[ Edited by 8to80 on Oct 17, 2010 at 21:08:53 ]
During the off-season we've been talking about this team having many potentiall Free Agents. We listed in our minds that the players worthy of the extensions were in this order:

1. Willis
2. Davis
3. Goldson
4. Morgan
5. Manny Lawson

We've gotten Willis and Davis out of the way! Obviously.....

At this point of the season, if we can re-create that same list....the players of importance are:

1. Willis
2. Davis
3. Manny Lawson
4. Morgan
5. Goldson

I truthfully feel that Manny Lawson is an asset on the field. He can tackle, especially tackles for loss. Oh and btw, the many can cover like a safety....watch the replay of the 49ers/Raiders game yesterday.

So what Im saying, before Lawson continues to shine...we need to extend him before the off-season comes. Because the demand for good/great OLB is HIGH and the quality of them availiable is slim. So lets this be the official....GET MANNY LAWSON a NEW CONTRACT THREAD.!!!!!!!

Lets do this!

[ Edited by DaFaro49ers on Oct 18, 2010 at 14:08:46 ]
Lawson is playing well, if it continues he should get resigned. Goldson isn't impressing me so far. Morgan we could resign cheap and would be smart to do it.
morgan and goldson can walk for all I care. We need Manny.
Absolutely. Lawson deserved the game ball yesterday.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Overrated
Originally posted by susweel:
Overrated

Find me a LB(excluding P-Willie) who can run stride for Stride with a Great TE and intercept the pass in a diving fashion.....than Ill agree
Co Sign...Definetely
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Ray McDonald should be on that list.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
morgan and goldson can walk for all I care. We need Manny.

Isn't there a resign thread already???
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Overrated

Find me a LB(excluding P-Willie) who can run stride for Stride with a Great TE and intercept the pass in a diving fashion.....than Ill agree

One int in 3 years. Big whoop
Overrated

LOL. do you remember the amazing Sideline interception against the rams??? Lawson jumped bout 10 ft into the Air and still landed inbounds.
Overrated

This. However, Lawson is one of our key players against the run.

I was looking at football outsiders stats and our defense is ranked near the top in terms of stopping runs to his side. We are terrible in stopping runs to the other side...Parys...no speed...

We need to lose Parys, use that money on our strong strong side guy, Manny, and work on a "real" weakside pass rush.
Overrated

Lawson is a great tackler, covers a lot of ground, makes plays on ST, and always shows up. If you don't think he is one of our best players, you are a poor judge of talent.
Share 49ersWebzone