• Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by susweel:
Overrated

Find me a LB(excluding P-Willie) who can run stride for Stride with a Great TE and intercept the pass in a diving fashion.....than Ill agree

One int in 3 years. Big whoop

This. However, Lawson is one of our key players against the run.

I was looking at football outsiders stats and our defense is ranked near the top in terms of stopping runs to his side. We are terrible in stopping runs to the other side...Parys...no speed...

We need to lose Parys, use that money on our strong strong side guy, Manny, and work on a "real" weakside pass rush.

Yes, thank you! Manny Lawson's job isnt to get INT's ..But he is good enough to use him that way(That's why he is a keeper). His real strenght is run stuffing and if you watch Niner games he's always right there to wrap up or stop a player for a loss. I believe he had 2-3 tackles for loss on McCoy in the eagles game, and McCoy is a speedster.

Yeah but he bit hard on that double reverse yesterday.

Dude does not fit the 3-4 system, in a 3-4 the OLB must be a good pass rusher and thats something Lawson is a FAIL at.

You dont sign a OLB on the fact that he's good "run stopper".

Lawson needs to go
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Dude does not fit the 3-4 system, in a 3-4 the OLB must be a good pass rusher and thats something Lawson is a FAIL at.

Lawson needs to go

You just made my point about why people want him gone. This is the only reason.

There is a difference in responsibility between weak side and strong side. Also, I don't care who's getting to the QB as long as someone does. Good pass rushers aren't a dime a dozen and if we get one, he goes on the weak side.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
He won't resign. An actual playoff contender will pay him more and sooner than we will.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
This is Morgan's last year. If we want a guy to make a catch a game we can put Jason Hill back on the field. At least Hill will attempt to stretch out like Manny did yesterday.

Goldson is still raw. Not worth 7 mil a season but not worth less than 3 mil a season cause attitude is worth something in the Secondary and he's Mike Lewis now that that Loser is gone.

I said this last Offeseason Manny NEEDS to be re-signed and we need to get rid of Haralson.

People Bish about Manny not making the Sacks? Why bish? Manny is on the Strong Side and has to deal with a lot more than what Haralson has to on the Weak Side. Yet you ALWAYS see Manny around the Ball. He may not get there in Shazam! like fashion but he's there and he's ALWAYS fighting to get the Ball Carrier.

Haralson gets there too but isn't making his presence felt. Manny had the Strip Sack Fumble Recovery this season and he had this Interception. That's what Manny gives this team. The ability to create turnovers. That's SEVERELY underrated by many in this Forum.

Oh yeah, if we get Merriman wave to Haralson at the end of the Season.

~Ceadder

Have to agree with this. Manny's speed and athleticism makes him able to cover fast te's and rb's out of the backfield, a clear asset. Other than clements, and possibly willis, manny has the most potential to create turnovers and i only say clements because of his ability to anticipate routes, Manny's speed sets him apart from most outside lb's in the league, if we get merriman we'll probably have the fastest linebacking core in the league. Lock up manny and find a shut down corner via the draft or free agency and our defense is good to go, easy to say it like that but who knows.
Manny defintately deserves a new contract. I would bump him up over D Goldson and anyone else that's inline. The pick he had yesterday was awesome! He either led or was tied for team high sacks last year and needs to stay on this team
SF should go with a 4-3 scheme and yes, therefore, extend Manny. Still depends on how much he demands. I think he loves being a 49er and would take a lil less to stay here. It was only gross speculation that he wanted huge money, when all he really said was he wanted to have a commitment for his future.

I'd easily go tell Franklin and Morgan to pizz off... not worried about retaining them. Goldson, I want to keep on, but surely not for more than 3 or 4 mil per year.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Yeah I wanna bring Manny back for sure. And depending how Franklin plays maybe him next
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
morgan and goldson can walk for all I care. We need Manny.

moar of this.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
SF should go with a 4-3 scheme and yes, therefore, extend Manny. Still depends on how much he demands. I think he loves being a 49er and would take a lil less to stay here. It was only gross speculation that he wanted huge money, when all he really said was he wanted to have a commitment for his future.

I'd easily go tell Franklin and Morgan to pizz off... not worried about retaining them. Goldson, I want to keep on, but surely not for more than 3 or 4 mil per year.

Not a bad idea of going back to the 4-3 and putting him a OLB because then he doesn't have to rush like a DE. on passing down they go into a 4-3 anyway. if they go to 4-3 Franklin $$$ can go somewhere ells.

Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Overrated

Find me a LB(excluding P-Willie) who can run stride for Stride with a Great TE and intercept the pass in a diving fashion.....than Ill agree

One int in 3 years. Big whoop

This. However, Lawson is one of our key players against the run.

I was looking at football outsiders stats and our defense is ranked near the top in terms of stopping runs to his side. We are terrible in stopping runs to the other side...Parys...no speed...

We need to lose Parys, use that money on our strong strong side guy, Manny, and work on a "real" weakside pass rush.

Yes, thank you! Manny Lawson's job isnt to get INT's ..But he is good enough to use him that way(That's why he is a keeper). His real strenght is run stuffing and if you watch Niner games he's always right there to wrap up or stop a player for a loss. I believe he had 2-3 tackles for loss on McCoy in the eagles game, and McCoy is a speedster.

Yeah but he bit hard on that double reverse yesterday.

Lawson needs to go

You officially do NOT have a clue to what you're talking about.

I'm now convinced that you out your ass parroting what other people say.

But hey let's look at the fine points here.

Manny SEALS his edge. This is first and foremost his RESPONSIBILITY as the Strong Side Backer. He allows Icebox to take less blockers and vice versa Icebox allows him to get into the backfield. They work great together. But his primary focus is to keep Runs from gaining traction. This he does extremely well and THIS is what you PAY for.

Sacks are a secondary Focus, when you KNOW that the Back is not coming your direction then your focus shifts to Pass Defense. Manny has quick awareness to allow him to identify the Ball Carrier so he goes to the ball no matter where it is. I often see Manny on the Weak Side because he's got cover speed to burn.

YOU PAY FOR THIS.

Turnovers is something Manny is ALWAYS looking to create. And he does it.

YOU PAY FOR THAT TOO.

If you cannot look past Sack stats then just stop talking cause I'm getting fed up with your myopic BS susweel.

~Ceadder
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dlance:

Not a bad idea of going back to the 4-3 and putting him a OLB because then he doesn't have to rush like a DE. on passing down they go into a 4-3 anyway. if they go to 4-3 Franklin $$$ can go somewhere ells.

There would be little difference in playing 4-3 vs. 3-4 with Lawson at OLB. You're basically just saying you want the ROLB to change from two point to three point stance. Then you basically end up with an under shifted 4-3.
During the off-season we've been talking about this team having many potentiall Free Agents. We listed in our minds that the players worthy of the extensions were in this order:

1. Willis
2. Davis
3. Goldson
4. Morgan
5. Manny Lawson

We've gotten Willis and Davis out of the way! Obviously.....

At this point of the season, if we can re-create that same list....the players of importance are:

1. Willis
2. Davis
3. Manny Lawson
4. Morgan
5. Goldson

I truthfully feel that Manny Lawson is an asset on the field. He can tackle, especially tackles for loss. Oh and btw, the many can cover like a safety....watch the replay of the 49ers/Raiders game yesterday.

So what Im saying, before Lawson continues to shine...we need to extend him before the off-season comes. Because the demand for good/great OLB is HIGH and the quality of them availiable is slim. So lets this be the official....GET MANNY LAWSON a NEW CONTRACT THREAD.!!!!!!!

Lets do this!

How come Lawson deserved to have his first name and the others did not

Naw, the 3-4 is a great fit for Manny. If we went to a 4-3 our Linemen would get swallowed up at the point of attack and now Manny Willis and Weakside Backer would also get swallowed up because of the bigger OLines in the league. With 2 extra gaps in created by the 3-4 it allows a DB access to the backfield off the edge and Willis and TKO/Bowman can hit those gaps with momentum to make the stop in the Backfield.

Changing from the 3-4 to the 4-3 would change the dynamics of our Defense and if you don't remember we had a harder time with the Hybrid Defense cause it used 4-3 alignment. Only when we focused on our strengths did our Defense become what they are now. Fiddling with it would set us back nearly 2 years.

And on top of that Merriman is a 3-4 guy. I guarantee that we wouldn't even be looking in his direction if we changed to a 4-3. He'd get swallowed up by the FB on outside Runs.

Oh yes and lastly Haralson is not bad. But both our guys rely on how many Blockers the NT occupies. If he takes up 2 or 3(like ABF did last season) that is one or two less guys to the outside because they get occupied by Smith and Icebox on the edge.

But ABF is not 100% yet so he's not consistently getting Penetration on the Center and since he isn't there is at least one extra body to the outside. That makes a HELL of a difference to a 3-4 OLB.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 18, 2010 at 16:22:12 ]
During the off-season we've been talking about this team having many potentiall Free Agents. We listed in our minds that the players worthy of the extensions were in this order:

1. Willis
2. Davis
3. Goldson
4. Manny Lawson
5. Morgan

We've gotten Willis and Davis out of the way! Obviously.....

At this point of the season, if we can re-create that same list....the players of importance are:

1. Willis
2. Davis
3. Manny Lawson
4. Goldson
5. Morgan

I truthfully feel that Manny Lawson is an asset on the field. He can tackle, especially tackles for loss. Oh and btw, the many can cover like a safety....watch the replay of the 49ers/Raiders game yesterday.

So what Im saying, before Lawson continues to shine...we need to extend him before the off-season comes. Because the demand for good/great OLB is HIGH and the quality of them availiable is slim. So lets this be the official....GET MANNY LAWSON a NEW CONTRACT THREAD.!!!!!!!

Lets do this!

Fixed

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone