There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tackle Play - Offensive Line

Staley isn't playing well at all
Originally posted by lamontb:
Staley isn't playing well at all

I don't know what sucks worse, the Joe Show or Joe Staley the LT. We should send him back to RT... and if he can't get it done there... to Detroit so he can reconnect with his true love, Shaun Hill.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by flow:
LT: Sims
LG: Iupati
C: Baas
RG: Anthony Davis
RT: Staley

I'd start sims at LT but keep davis at tackle. The kid is explosive off the line and appears to have the athletic ability to be special, he just needs reps. Keep him in position and let him learn it don't move him around.
Staley was gettin beat like he stole something!!!
Our line will never be good with Rachal starting. I think we have the personnel to have a solid O-line right now, but our coaches are too incompetent to realize it.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Every single run = up the middle. Every single roll out, bootleg, etc. = Smith has to throw away (2 guys totally unblocked running full speed at him).

...... When will it change ?????
Injured player’s two rookies a backup center.

Staley was listed as probable with a shoulder injury. He’s not the greatest when fully healthy and it was clear he was not 100%. Snyder was also listed a probable with a quadriceps. Both had limited time in practice.

Baas didn’t play center till halfway though his senior year at Michigan. It’s a big task for Bass to run an NFL line with a dozen games at center under his belt. The line was clearly better with Heitmann at center.

Two rookies starting is another giant task for an offensive line. Those two are still trying to figure out the speed of the game.

Gee I wonder why they’re ok at run blocking suck at pass blocking and assignments are being missed all over the place guys getting blown up. Right now they are ranked 18th for all OL in the league and have given up the 2nd most QB hits. It’s pretty clear what the issues are.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Injured player’s two rookies a backup center.

Staley was listed as probable with a shoulder injury. He’s not the greatest when fully healthy and it was clear he was not 100%. Snyder was also listed a probable with a quadriceps. Both had limited time in practice.

Baas didn’t play center till halfway though his senior year at Michigan. It’s a big task for Bass to run an NFL line with a dozen games at center under his belt. The line was clearly better with Heitmann at center.

Two rookies starting is another giant task for an offensive line. Those two are still trying to figure out the speed of the game.

Gee I wonder why they’re ok at run blocking suck at pass blocking and assignments are being missed all over the place guys getting blown up. Right now they are ranked 18th for all OL in the league and have given up the 2nd most QB hits. It’s pretty clear what the issues are.

Nine post, can't argue with any of that.

Thanks also for noting the injury report on Staley. I'm not sure how that slipped by me, but as I mentioned in an earlier post it was clear from the start of yesterday's game that Staley wasn't himself. Hopefully that shoulder is useable next week, we can't afford a repeat of yesterday's performance.
Do you all think Anthony Davis can play LT?
Originally posted by LanceQ:

That's certainly one way of getting rid of Smith...
I know Rachal has played poorly this year, but I watched him on some plays and he seemed to play fine (vs. Oakland).
Originally posted by LanceQ:

now...no, in 2ish years yes.
Originally posted by jta854:
I know Rachal has played poorly this year, but I watched him on some plays and he seemed to play fine (vs. Oakland).

They still have him listed as the #3 G on the nfl depth chart lol
Originally posted by flow:
LT: Sims
LG: Iupati
C: Baas
RG: Anthony Davis
RT: Staley

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I think as a rookie Davis has struggled and also done well. With Chilo nest door he is left on an island because Chilo can't do his own job so no help for Davis. I am most disappointed in Staley. He was a decent RT. and should have never been moved. Also when your top 0-lineman the last 3 tears is back healthy and he doesn't sniff the field with this o-line says a lot about Sings stubborness or ignorance.

Sims back as LT, move Staley to RT.

If Heitman is healthy, C.

Whoever is best at RG (I don't think anybody has stood out), keep Iupati at LG.

Could work.

I think Davis needs time to develop/fully mature (not even 21 yet, is he?). I don't think I ever understood the Chilo draft pick, but I was hopeful. He sure has looked bad and/or inconsistant this year. I'm certainly ready for some changes on the O line. I knew that, as a minimum, the first half of this year was going to be painful for the line as it developed with 2 rookies starting, but I don't think I ever envisioned it this bad.

The bit above about Staley having a shoulder injury would help to explain things, but if that is the case, why haven't the Coaches pulled him so that a healthy player is in what is usually considered the most important spot? Has Sims slipped that bad?????

Tough call b/c if you move Staley to RT, where else are we going to run? Gore is way too slow laterally to string along and then dart up the line. He only has two runs now...up the gut and behind Davis off RT. If we made changes along the line, we'd need to change Gore for Dixon too.

We do need to mix in Dixon more. Gore is the man, but he needs to let the team do what it has to do to win. I know he wants to win as bad as the fans do. He has been putting up with this same stuff since 2005!

I wouldn't move Staley to RT at all. I would return the OLine to what it was last year. It played a lot better last year than it has this year.

Staley/Sims-Iupati-Heitman-Baas-Snyder

How does Synder upgrade RT? He gave up 9 sacks last year at RT.

Some people obviously have forgotten about upside. Davis is only 21 and he has plenty of upside. Synder has reached his ceiling as a horrific right tackle.