LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Tackle Play - Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I believe Davis will be alright. We have to give him some time. Just think now, there have been plenty of posts about getting Synder away from the RT position. Now there posts getting Davis out of there. Give him a chance. Staley did disappoint though. Iupati and Baas played well I thought. Chilo wasn't too bad.
Staley was gettin beat like he stole something!!!
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I've never been high on Staley. The right side of the line is getting destroyed though so far today. I can't figure out how Rachal remains a starter...

I agree with you 100%. Staley is pretty overrated on our OLine. Sims came in last season and played better than Staley was before his injury. Davis and Rachal need to be on the bench.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Every single run = up the middle. Every single roll out, bootleg, etc. = Smith has to throw away (2 guys totally unblocked running full speed at him).

They have gotta do something. This line gives up pressure on every pass play!
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I've never been high on Staley. The right side of the line is getting destroyed though so far today. I can't figure out how Rachal remains a starter...

I agree with you 100%. Staley is pretty overrated on our OLine. Sims came in last season and played better than Staley was before his injury. Davis and Rachal need to be on the bench.

Except the right side is the ONLY side of the line we can run on. The left side run off tackle is non-existent! So the one thing Staley was supposed to be able to do, he can't now...pass block. Baas looked good today, Iupati did OK, Chilo = Meh. Davis, as always, good on run blocking, sucks on pass blocking.

Staley + Davis = Smith running for his life. Nice to see Smith FINALLY ripping into his line = two subsequent TD's.
I noticed that staley has changed his technique in that he is picking up his left foot on the snap of the ball, I wonder if Solari is messing with his mechanics. Which brings me to the point of solari.

This is the guy we need to be on, he is the O -line coach for f's sake, and its his unit is regressing.
I look forward to watching more closely this week, but yes, our OL is not playing well. We all see this. I really thought Solari would be an upgrade to Foerster, but it's not happening. Really thought Alex was gonna get broken during this game.

Right now, I just don't have a solution for the OL. What did impress me was their ability to come out of their stance quickly in pass pro... but that's not helping them protect as it should. Sorry for this worthless, unhelpful post... just rambling.

Big smiles for our first W though.
there was one play in particular where both tackles were beaten badly off the snap when smith was in the shotgun that sticks out in my mind.
can staley play right guard?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I look forward to watching more closely this week, but yes, our OL is not playing well. We all see this. I really thought Solari would be an upgrade to Foerster, but it's not happening. Really thought Alex was gonna get broken during this game.

Right now, I just don't have a solution for the OL. What did impress me was their ability to come out of their stance quickly in pass pro... but that's not helping them protect as it should. Sorry for this worthless, unhelpful post... just rambling.

Big smiles for our first W though.

There was an article earlier this week on how Smith passes under duress more then any QB in the game. Today? It must have been around 75% of the time!

I think as a rookie Davis has struggled and also done well. With Chilo nest door he is left on an island because Chilo can't do his own job so no help for Davis. I am most disappointed in Staley. He was a decent RT. and should have never been moved. Also when your top 0-lineman the last 3 tears is back healthy and he doesn't sniff the field with this o-line says a lot about Sings stubborness or ignorance.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Staley should've never been moved from RT. He isn't even close to being the elite player some fans here at the zone think he is.

The tackle play could be fixed real easily.....Move Staley back to RT and start Sims on the left side. If Sing wanted to fix the rest of the line, he'd move Snyder or Heitmann to RG and bench Rachal ass.

Line fixed; Sims, Iupati, Baas, Heitmann/Snyder, Staley

And if Simms proves to be too old at this point, lets try Davis. That is where he played in college, wasn't it?
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I think as a rookie Davis has struggled and also done well. With Chilo nest door he is left on an island because Chilo can't do his own job so no help for Davis. I am most disappointed in Staley. He was a decent RT. and should have never been moved. Also when your top 0-lineman the last 3 tears is back healthy and he doesn't sniff the field with this o-line says a lot about Sings stubborness or ignorance.

Sims back as LT, move Staley to RT.

If Heitman is healthy, C.

Whoever is best at RG (I don't think anybody has stood out), keep Iupati at LG.

Could work.

I think Davis needs time to develop/fully mature (not even 21 yet, is he?). I don't think I ever understood the Chilo draft pick, but I was hopeful. He sure has looked bad and/or inconsistant this year. I'm certainly ready for some changes on the O line. I knew that, as a minimum, the first half of this year was going to be painful for the line as it developed with 2 rookies starting, but I don't think I ever envisioned it this bad.

The bit above about Staley having a shoulder injury would help to explain things, but if that is the case, why haven't the Coaches pulled him so that a healthy player is in what is usually considered the most important spot? Has Sims slipped that bad?????
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

Sims back as LT, move Staley to RT.

If Heitman is healthy, C.

Whoever is best at RG (I don't think anybody has stood out), keep Iupati at LG.

Could work.

I think Davis needs time to develop/fully mature (not even 21 yet, is he?). I don't think I ever understood the Chilo draft pick, but I was hopeful. He sure has looked bad and/or inconsistant this year. I'm certainly ready for some changes on the O line. I knew that, as a minimum, the first half of this year was going to be painful for the line as it developed with 2 rookies starting, but I don't think I ever envisioned it this bad.

The bit above about Staley having a shoulder injury would help to explain things, but if that is the case, why haven't the Coaches pulled him so that a healthy player is in what is usually considered the most important spot? Has Sims slipped that bad?????

Tough call b/c if you move Staley to RT, where else are we going to run? Gore is way too slow laterally to string along and then dart up the line. He only has two runs now...up the gut and behind Davis off RT. If we made changes along the line, we'd need to change Gore for Dixon too.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Man, Staley and Davis are just terrible. Every single pass play Smith is running for his life. I can somewhat understand Davis but Staley? This guy has gotten worse every year. FO's was noting that we also run the least off Staley's side too. Wonderful..he can't pass block and we can't run off his edge. This is a HUGE problem people. The talk of Chilo is seems to be the spotlight but watch our tackles and tell me what you think.

This OL is beyond bad , h*ll they still are letting defenses folks run thru unblocked at times .
Share 49ersWebzone