LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Joe Namath on Alex smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Regarding Shaun Hill, someone said "he just wins." If I remember corretly, he wasn't winning when the change was made last year. But that is not what HCs do. They are supposed to decide why their team is not winning. It is not always on the QB, either entirely or partly. They change their QB when they decide that he is a substantial reason why they are not winning, and because they feel that they have a backup they think can do a better job.
I've come to a conclusion. Alex Smith could be a solid QB in the NFL for the next decade. He has shown if given time, he can move the ball when needed. The problem is our increadably streaky play calling. In addition to horrible scheme, we don't pass enough to allow Smith to get into a rythm. There seems to be no rythm in our play calling and when we do make some progress, they always call a few Frank Gores up the gut to kill the momentum.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I've come to a conclusion. Alex Smith could be a solid QB in the NFL for the next decade. He has shown if given time, he can move the ball when needed. The problem is our increadably streaky play calling. In addition to horrible scheme, we don't pass enough to allow Smith to get into a rythm. There seems to be no rythm in our play calling and when we do make some progress, they always call a few Frank Gores up the gut to kill the momentum.

True... I was pretty down on Alex this season, but I agree that the play-calling was the bigger issue. Alex even hinted at that. Our play-calling sucks. I wish we still ran the WCO. What the heck was management thinking bringing in the "digits" system. Feel like showing them one of my digits! Even a non-WCO QB can succeed in that system - it is sooooo QB-friendly.

Our team also needs to seriously start looking at fixing a porous defense. We need to add some quality CBs, and some linemen...
Share 49ersWebzone