LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Joe Namath on Alex smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erred:
If that is the case, see what you could get for Alex in a trade. That would determine true market value.

A conidtional 7th round pick is all I think the niners could get.

We got a sixth round pick for Balmer.

So you're saying the rest of the league thinks that Balmer is better than Smith?

Dude you're so high your Dentist could walk into your house and take your Wisdom Teeth out w/o anesthesia.

I don't think we would get much for him but that's mainly because nobody is going to give up a pick if they know they can get him in the Offseason if he's going to test Free Agency.

An uncapped year and there may be know Football in 2011 because the Owners are gearing up for a lockout. In this economy a lockout is the WORST thing they could do, but that's for another thread.

Point is only way 9ers get a pick is by extending Smith's contract right now. If they did we should get no worse than a 4th rounder for him.

This is why you're high.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Assuming he flames out. Smith will be a starter next year, but will struggle to find a job better than ours. Good teams don't turn to busts for a starting quarterback unless there's a regrooming period like with Young. Minnesota is not going to turn to Alex. They have Moss, Rice, Harvin and Petersen. They'll have whoever Philly doesn't want. Instead he'll find a team like Cleveland and Ceaddar will find 100 reasons why Cleveland screwed him too.

...and what about Arizona? The thought of Smith in a consistent 3-4 WR Offense under Whisenhunt really p!sses me off.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by dj43:
28 is too high. The number is more likely 15-18 who would sign him. 8 of those would be as a starter, the others as a backup.

Smith will get a nice contract next year.

Name me 8 teams besides the 49ers that Smith would start on

Browns, Bills, Panthers, Cardinals, Jaguars, and vikings

I can't really thin of any other teams in dire need of a starting QB.

Seahwaks, raiders?
Those would have been my 8 as well.

I would also throw in Cincy where Carson Palmer has only had one good year and is just a few points better than Smith right now. Palmer is over-rated. He gets pub because of Ocho always crying for the ball.
28 is too high. The number is more likely 15-18 who would sign him. 8 of those would be as a starter, the others as a backup.

Yep. It's amazing how badly this organization has handled a #1 freaking pic.

Aaron Rodgers dodged a bullet.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9erred:
If that is the case, see what you could get for Alex in a trade. That would determine true market value.

A conidtional 7th round pick is all I think the niners could get.

We will never know because no team is going to trade for a guy they know they can sign in FA without having to give up a player.
  • dj43
Originally posted by ttime1:

Maybe the Bronws and Bills but not with the Jaguars, and vikings
Favre's elbow tendonitis is junk. He will be lucky if he is able to play again for two weeks. Even if the fill it with cortisone, the pressure on the elbow will bring it right back.

David Garrard has been very inconsistent. He had one good game this year that bumped his rating but he has been on and off the bench over the past two years. However, it is irrelevant because Smith would be a fool to go to a team with another defensive-minded HC. Del Rio was a linebacker just like MS.

Seahwaks, raiders?

I would also throw in Cincy where Carson Palmer has only had one good year and is just a few points better than Smith right now. Palmer is over-rated. He gets pub because of Ocho always crying for the ball.

Palmer has a huge contract though. It goes to 2014. I don't know sh*t about the cap, but as long as Cincy's owner is financially tied to Carson he's keeping Palmer. He's the cheapest owner in the league. I think it's much more likely that they bring in an offensive coach to try and fix Palmer. Contractually it's Marvin's last year.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
....to be a back-up

finished
  • dj43
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by servegmo:
there is no dough he will get a nice contract, and there will be at least 15 team wanting for him to come and compete for a starting job...

last week he help himself in a big way reacting to adversity the way he did on ntaional television...

he made a lot of fans and that will be shown on the offseason...

go niners

Alex Smith choked. He got frazzled when he was booed and VD had to encourage him to speak up for his postion. He led two nice drives but when he had an opportunity to take the lead he missed a wide open Gore. Te next play was typical Alex. An interception and game over. He may have garnered some sympathy points, but he certainly did not demonstrate the leadership needed to succeed in this league.

Don't remember any choking in that final drive against NO. The line didn't have anything to do with that last interecption against Philly? With the fan base crashing down on his head and Singletary calling him out before a national audience (and his teammates strongly rallying for him) and under unbelievable pressure he leads two virtually perfect drives for TDs. I guarantee there are good NFL coaches who took notice of those games and would like to see what Smith could for them.
People around the league are well aware of what a train wreck this franchise and the coaching staff is now, and what it has been ever since Nolan arrived. They have also observed what Smith did in those two drives against the Eagles and the NO drive. They see that talent and understand the mess he is in. Therefore there is no doubt whatsoever that Smith will have some attractive choices for the future.

Most good coaches already have a franchise QB. It goes hand and hand in this league. Minnesota is going to be the most attractive team for a quarterback but don't look for them to target Smith. Kolb or Vick makes a million times more sense. Same system, west coast offense ready.

After that Arizona, Cleveland, Carolina, Jacksonville, Oakland, Buffalo could be looking for a quarterback but chances a couple of those teams will look to the draft for a quarterback. For a good starting gig Alex's best chances are probally Whisenhunt in Arizona and possibly Cowher in Carolina.

It's not just about having talent. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time. There really isn't going to be many great oppurtunities for a QB bust. Wherever you go you have a short window of time to prove yourself and you're extremely lucky if catch onto a playoff caliber team.
As much as I hate to think about it, AZ with Whisenhunt would be a good spot for Smith. Whisenhunt is a solid coach with an offense background plus having Fitzgerald to throw to wouldn't be a bad option at all.
  • dj43

Seahwaks, raiders?

Palmer has a huge contract though. It goes to 2014. I don't know sh*t about the cap, but as long as Cincy's owner is financially tied to Carson he's keeping Palmer. He's the cheapest owner in the league. I think it's much more likely that they bring in an offensive coach to try and fix Palmer. Contractually it's Marvin's last year.
Yes, I wasn't considering Palmer's contract.

I agree that Lewis is likely gone after this year and a more quarterback-friendly system would help that team, and Palmer, or whoever, a lot.

Originally posted by solidg2000:
If the niners release Alex Smith he will sign with the Vikings and be their starting QB

Wow
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Smith is one dimensional and teams are daring the niners to use that one dimension. In fact that is the game plan, take away Gore, take away V. Davis and force the ball into smiths hands and let her rip!

One dimensional?

Really?

The guy can throw the ball in all three zones(short, intermediate and long) of the field.

When he HAS time he can read Defenses and adjust to them(serious play calling issue from the booth this season proved this), get them to come off sides with the long snap count and can change the play with an audible.

Also he can run 2 minute drill VERY well. Calling his own plays.

is Red Zone Stats are damned near the best in the league.

Oh and need I mention his feet can kill Opposing Defenses when they get into our backfield?

Now please show me how he's "One Dimensional" cause your opinion is truly one dimensional. Not even that IMHO.

~Ceadder
there is no dough he will get a nice contract, and there will be at least 15 team wanting for him to come and compete for a starting job...

last week he help himself in a big way reacting to adversity the way he did on ntaional television...

go niners

Alex Smith choked. He got frazzled when he was booed and VD had to encourage him to speak up for his postion. He led two nice drives but when he had an opportunity to take the lead he missed a wide open Gore. Te next play was typical Alex. An interception and game over. He may have garnered some sympathy points, but he certainly did not demonstrate the leadership needed to succeed in this league.

Don't remember any choking in that final drive against NO. The line didn't have anything to do with that last interecption against Philly? With the fan base crashing down on his head and Singletary calling him out before a national audience (and his teammates strongly rallying for him) and under unbelievable pressure he leads two virtually perfect drives for TDs. I guarantee there are good NFL coaches who took notice of those games and would like to see what Smith could for them.
People around the league are well aware of what a train wreck this franchise and the coaching staff is now, and what it has been ever since Nolan arrived. They have also observed what Smith did in those two drives against the Eagles and the NO drive. They see that talent and understand the mess he is in. Therefore there is no doubt whatsoever that Smith will have some attractive choices for the future.

Most good coaches already have a franchise QB. It goes hand and hand in this league. Minnesota is going to be the most attractive team for a quarterback but don't look for them to target Smith. Kolb or Vick makes a million times more sense. Same system, west coast offense ready.

After that Arizona, Cleveland, Carolina, Jacksonville, Oakland, Buffalo could be looking for a quarterback but chances a couple of those teams will look to the draft for a quarterback. For a good starting gig Alex's best chances are probally Whisenhunt in Arizona and possibly Cowher in Carolina.

It's not just about having talent. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time. There really isn't going to be many great oppurtunities for a QB bust. Wherever you go you have a short window of time to prove yourself and you're extremely lucky if catch onto a playoff caliber team.
As much as I hate to think about it, AZ with Whisenhunt would be a good spot for Smith. Whisenhunt is a solid coach with an offense background plus having Fitzgerald to throw to wouldn't be a bad option at all.

Well that could be good but I think it would be a bad place for him to land cause their Line isn't very good either. One blown assignment could get Smith killed especially against this Defensive Front 7.

~Ceadder
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

go niners

Well that could be good but I think it would be a bad place for him to land cause their Line isn't very good either. One blown assignment could get Smith killed especially against this Defensive Front 7.

~Ceadder
That's true but the coaching situation would be much better.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
If the niners release Alex Smith he will sign with the Vikings and be their starting QB

my thoughts exactly
Share 49ersWebzone