LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

ESPN Latest on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's very simple.

Let Alex finish the season.
Sign a veteran QB that can take us to the playoffs.
Draft a high profile QB to learn the ropes.
Let the Oline grow together, and look for a veteran to sign.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
The article is referring to the 49ers of 2010. However, you cannot tell the NFL world with a straight face that in ALL the games that Alex Smith has played in, his line has sucked/his receivers couldnt catch/his OC couldnt call good plays/his defense stunk it up.

LOL, did you know that statistically, our OL was the worst pass-protecting line in the league last year?

Didnt Rodgers line give up more sacks than ours last year ? Didnt seem to affect his probowl status, now did it ?

if u watched him play he holds on the ball for like 4 to 5 seconds he holds on to the ball for a long time

alex on the other hand doesnt have that luxury

Wrong again. Through the first month of last season, Rodgers did not rank in the top 10 of QBs holding the ball too long.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/23/which-quarterbacks-hold-the-ball-too-long/

In another article from November, one analyst provided stats on sacks that were the fault of the oline. He excluded sacks that were attributed to the QB holding on to the ball or running out of bounds.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/13/between-the-lines-whos-allowing-the-most-sacks/

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/13/between-the-lines-sacks-allowed-sorted-by-team/

GB's oline allowed more sacks on Rodgers than SF's.
The article is referring to the 49ers of 2010. However, you cannot tell the NFL world with a straight face that in ALL the games that Alex Smith has played in, his line has sucked/his receivers couldnt catch/his OC couldnt call good plays/his defense stunk it up.

LOL, did you know that statistically, our OL was the worst pass-protecting line in the league last year?

Didnt Rodgers line give up more sacks than ours last year ? Didnt seem to affect his probowl status, now did it ?

if u watched him play he holds on the ball for like 4 to 5 seconds he holds on to the ball for a long time

Those numbers in GB and Pitt as well are misleading....when you have QBs that scramble out of the pocket, your risk for sacks increases dramaticaly.
soooo....if he can sit back and play the game in a tuxedo he'll be fine. This article is ridiculous. You're going to get pressured in the NFL. He's not a good quarterback. That simple.

Wrong again. Through the first month of last season, Rodgers did not rank in the top 10 of QBs holding the ball too long.

In another article from November, one analyst provided stats on sacks that were the fault of the oline. He excluded sacks that were attributed to the QB holding on to the ball or running out of bounds.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/13/between-the-lines-whos-allowing-the-most-sacks/

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/13/between-the-lines-sacks-allowed-sorted-by-team/

exactly dude

he may not hold the ball too long to be sacked he hold on the ball like 4 -5 seconds to find an open guy that guy has a good o line so he doesnt get sacked

even GB fans knows he holds the ball on for too long
  • ZRF80

exactly dude

he may not hold the ball too long to be sacked he hold on the ball like 4 -5 seconds to find an open guy that guy has a good o line so he doesnt get sacked

He LED the league in getting sacked. The primary reason for this was his oline (as seen in above link). Therefore, we can conclude that his oline was worse than Smith's. Yet he still played like a probowler. What's Smith's excuse ?

Alex Smith's CAREER has been one big failure. Now, if you want to prioritize where he ranks in each and every game where the team has stunk, thats your prerogative. But in EVERY game that we've lost since Smith was drafted that he's played in, you can find some flaw in his play.

He is NOT a franchise quarterback. He is NOT a star quarterback. He is NOT a probowler. He is NOT going to take us to the Superbowl. He will NOT make us the next dynasty. The entire sports world gets it, but you people dont.

Get over it. His time in SF is over...........

I can. I can prove that this is the case with game film. I don't know what games you been watching but in the 4 years that he has been on the field the Line has been SH!T. His Receivers have been inconsistent to put it mildly.

As far as your insistence that he's not a Pro Bowl QB? Did you not see what he did on the field last season? Put a better Line in front of him and give him a full season I guarantee you he is. Star player too.

How do I know this? Look at his Red Zone stats. Look at what he does when he calls his OWN plays.

You are obviously letting your love for Smith cloud your judgement of what he COULD do when he has protection. Now I don't know if he would be a Franchise QB. I think he still could be. But I don't wish to challenge the great and powerful ZRF80 on all his subjugation. And nobody ever said that he would be our next dynasty QB. But if it would get you to shut up for a year, I hope that he does. That would be icing on the cake.

You constantly talk a lot of smack about the guy and blame everything on him.

But here is a Dynasty QBs' thought process on the 9ers.
Steve's take...

I like that he points out how our Defense was built to limit teams to 2 TDs' a game but that they haven't really done that this year. And that people blame Smith but no mention of the Defense.

~Ceadder

exactly dude

He LED the league in getting sacked. The primary reason for this was his oline (as seen in above link). Therefore, we can conclude that his oline was worse than Smith's. Yet he still played like a probowler. What's Smith's excuse ?

look at his game you can clearlty see tht rodgers has so much time to throw and has a good pocket much better than alexs

its extremely hard to believe that on that list the colts have the second worst o line allowing manning only 2 seconds to throw the ball when clearly you can see he has all the time in the world

i am not argueing that alex= aaron
but rodgers does have the better o line

also more proof that even GB 3rd RB is able to get 100 yds
frank ggore is stuggling to get over 60

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Oct 14, 2010 at 06:32:58 ]
Originally posted by tondiman:
It's very simple.

Let Alex finish the season.
Sign a veteran QB that can take us to the playoffs.
Draft a high profile QB to learn the ropes.
Let the Oline grow together, and look for a veteran to sign.

agree

exactly dude

Ever thought that Smith doesn't get sacked as much because of his feet, and dumpoffs and getting rid of the ball?

Oh btw for your information this Line gives up an average of 50+ Sacks a season. So I don't know how you can justify that Rodgers is better just cause his Line "Sucks more than ours does". It doesn't. Smith just gets rid of the ball better than Rodgers does. That's a fact.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Alex Smith's CAREER has been one big failure. Now, if you want to prioritize where he ranks in each and every game where the team has stunk, thats your prerogative. But in EVERY game that we've lost since Smith was drafted that he's played in, you can find some flaw in his play.

He is NOT a franchise quarterback. He is NOT a star quarterback. He is NOT a probowler. He is NOT going to take us to the Superbowl. He will NOT make us the next dynasty. The entire sports world gets it, but you people dont.

Get over it. His time in SF is over...........

I can. I can prove that this is the case with game film. I don't know what games you been watching but in the 4 years that he has been on the field the Line has been SH!T. His Receivers have been inconsistent to put it mildly.

As far as your insistence that he's not a Pro Bowl QB? Did you not see what he did on the field last season? Put a better Line in front of him and give him a full season I guarantee you he is. Star player too.

How do I know this? Look at his Red Zone stats. Look at what he does when he calls his OWN plays.

You are obviously letting your love for Smith cloud your judgement of what he COULD do when he has protection. Now I don't know if he would be a Franchise QB. I think he still could be. But I don't wish to challenge the great and powerful ZRF80 on all his subjugation. And nobody ever said that he would be our next dynasty QB. But if it would get you to shut up for a year, I hope that he does. That would be icing on the cake.

You constantly talk a lot of smack about the guy and blame everything on him.

But here is a Dynasty QBs' thought process on the 9ers.
Steve's take...

I like that he points out how our Defense was built to limit teams to 2 TDs' a game but that they haven't really done that this year. And that people blame Smith but no mention of the Defense.

~Ceadder

Smith is simply the scapegoat for dumb 9er fans, and most 9er fans are dumb. Fans of other teams thought our crowd was embarrassing and wildly unintelligent on Sunday, and they are.
He's definitely improved a lot this year, I'll say that much. It's a shame his numbers don't back it up, but he's a lot better. A lot of this also goes back to coaching and Sing's love affair with Chilo. The OL has performed a lot better with Chilo on the bench, but Sing seems oblivious.

Gosh Alex is so good I think wild dogs should kiss his rear end, and give Sing brown lollipops!!

The zone, just rules!
Oh wait ~
We have 2 rookie lineman and a slow receiving core. Anyone who didn't see this coming was drinking some serious kool aid. It's obvious teams are going to bring the pressure. Alex and our receivers have to a better on making adjustments.

Alex fans. You guys are just going to have to face that fact that if we don't start winning Alex is done. Fair or not this is a get it done league and this entire regime is on it's last legs.
what this article doesn't point out is that our offensive scheme make's it pretty friggin' easy to rush the passer successfully when the defense knows what's coming. run, run, penalty, desperation pass attempt, sack, punt.
Share 49ersWebzone