LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

ESPN Latest on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Not All Alex Fault.

Interesting Read which back up the smith supporters and O Line Haters as well. Numbers are surprising as well. Lets just hope Alex comes out slinging with spread offense this Sunday and O line can protect for more than a 2 sec.
He's definitely improved a lot this year, I'll say that much. It's a shame his numbers don't back it up, but he's a lot better. A lot of this also goes back to coaching and Sing's love affair with Chilo. The OL has performed a lot better with Chilo on the bench, but Sing seems oblivious.

[ Edited by binary2nd on Oct 14, 2010 at 00:00:54 ]
Thanks Axl. It is a great article. It goes to show how important protection is to help a QB perform at his best. We knew our OL was bad and went after two first rounders in this year's draft. But it appears that we were naive to expect the OL to be effective right away. It is too bad fans cannot understand that until a good OL is established results are going to be disappointing.
I agree completely with the article.

But I'd like to note even though I'm in favor of Alex finishing the season at helm and still want to get a full season's worth of him before I, personally, make any final statements as to if I would like him to remain in 2011 or for him to be cut, two things worry me about him. For these reasons I think the ceiling for Alex is to be, at best, a good QB (top 16 in the league) and not a great or franchise QB. These things are...

1. Great QBs can still make that perfect pass even under duress. Not always, but still completing over 50% of their passes is ideal. Alex simply cannot do that, practically ever. In these cases it could make him more worthy of a QB if he would use his mobility to get some yards or even a first down, or simply to escape the pressure and find an open receiver.

2. We can never seem to beat the stronger teams in the league. Playing against weak or mediocre teams always seems to be a lock for us to win (unless it's a divisional game). But we can never beat top teams, no matter how close the game. Whether it's the Eagles, the Colts, the Falcons or the Packers, we simply cannot win. What separates good QBs from great QBs is being able to finish games. Alex can't do that either it seems. Even through all his mistakes, he almost always keeps us in the game till the final second. But we cannot get that final drive that puts us into field goal range or a TD. Some of this blame falls on the defense on not getting the ball back to our offense either.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

But I'd like to note even though I'm in favor of Alex finishing the season at helm and still want to get a full season's worth of him before I, personally, make any final statements as to if I would like him to remain in 2011 or for him to be cut, two things worry me about him. For these reasons I think the ceiling for Alex is to be, at best, a good QB (top 16 in the league) and not a great or franchise QB. These things are...

1. Great QBs can still make that perfect pass even under duress. Not always, but still completing over 50% of their passes is ideal. Alex simply cannot do that, practically ever. In these cases it could make him more worthy of a QB if he would use his mobility to get some yards or even a first down, or simply to escape the pressure and find an open receiver.

2. We can never seem to beat the stronger teams in the league. Playing against weak or mediocre teams always seems to be a lock for us to win (unless it's a divisional game). But we can never beat top teams, no matter how close the game. Whether it's the Eagles, the Colts, the Falcons or the Packers, we simply cannot win. What separates good QBs from great QBs is being able to finish games. Alex can't do that either it seems. Even through all his mistakes, he almost always keeps us in the game till the final second. But we cannot get that final drive that puts us into field goal range or a TD. Some of this blame falls on the defense on not getting the ball back to our offense either.

I agree with you. Benching Smith will not solve anything this year we need to change the offense to suit his strengths and win as many games as we can. But again like you said a good QB can succeed under pressure and even in any system which we can see Alex is not that type of Elite QB.

What Alex's ceiling is, who knows, we won't know until he's with an OC that knows what their doing. But I agree with you here, and a lot of it is mechanics. Alex doesn't have a very strong arm and has a big windup to his release. He needs space and an extra bit of time to get his pass off. Because of this, if he's under pressure, his mechanics go crazy and his passes become horrible.
Originally posted by Axl49:

I agree with you. Benching Smith will not solve anything this year we need to change the offense to suit his strengths and win as many games as we can. But again like you said a good QB can succeed under pressure and even in any system which we can see Alex is not that type of Elite QB.

Indeed. I don't understand all this mumbo-jumbo about getting Luck or whoever in the draft this year. Firstly, I doubt we'll be that bad to get the #1 QB, though the #2 QB might fall to us, then I'd be in favor of getting him perhaps. I'd rather not waste a first round pick on a QB though. I feel the depth of the upcoming draft is good too that we could get a pretty good QB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Also, rookie QBs almost never come right in and make an impact. For instance, Mark Sanchez last year. He threw a lot of picks and turned the ball over a lot. Still, he was surrounded by a great team and they were able to make it far into the playoffs despite his poor play. Though this year is different. Sanchez is playing flawless. The development he's gone through is simply phenomenal. I'd like to bring in a QB next year from the draft and let him sit a season, at most 2, and simply learn the way of the NFL before we throw him in. I loved the way they brought along Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. Look what he's become.

In my honest opinion, I'd like to bring in a Free Agent QB in the offseason to start the 2011 season, given Alex doesn't make great strides this season, and draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

I really hope Alex can find his consistency though because when Alex is at his best, it's simply amazing.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
This article just scream one thing to me. BENCH CHILO RACHAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheNef77:
This article just scream one thing to me. BENCH CHILO RACHAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL TRUTH SPOKEN RIGHT THERE MAN

• ZRF80
The article is referring to the 49ers of 2010. However, you cannot tell the NFL world with a straight face that in ALL the games that Alex Smith has played in, his line has sucked/his receivers couldnt catch/his OC couldnt call good plays/his defense stunk it up.

Alex Smith's CAREER has been one big failure. Now, if you want to prioritize where he ranks in each and every game where the team has stunk, thats your prerogative. But in EVERY game that we've lost since Smith was drafted that he's played in, you can find some flaw in his play.

He is NOT a franchise quarterback. He is NOT a star quarterback. He is NOT a probowler. He is NOT going to take us to the Superbowl. He will NOT make us the next dynasty. The entire sports world gets it, but you people dont.

Get over it. His time in SF is over...........
Originally posted by ZRF80:
The article is referring to the 49ers of 2010. However, you cannot tell the NFL world with a straight face that in ALL the games that Alex Smith has played in, his line has sucked/his receivers couldnt catch/his OC couldnt call good plays/his defense stunk it up.

LOL, did you know that statistically, our OL was the worst pass-protecting line in the league last year?
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by binary2nd:

LOL, did you know that statistically, our OL was the worst pass-protecting line in the league last year?

Didnt Rodgers line give up more sacks than ours last year ? Didnt seem to affect his probowl status, now did it ?

Didnt Rodgers line give up more sacks than ours last year ? Didnt seem to affect his probowl status, now did it ?

if u watched him play he holds on the ball for like 4 to 5 seconds he holds on to the ball for a long time

alex on the other hand doesnt have that luxury
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

if u watched him play he holds on the ball for like 4 to 5 seconds he holds on to the ball for a long time

alex on the other hand doesnt have that luxury

Roethlisberger does the same thing, it would be nice to have an O-line like that. When the line gels, we will win games. Alex has the talent to win, we just need a complete team before his talent will show.
Share 49ersWebzone