LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 278 users in the forums

Now that I have rewatched the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HIMYM:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Good post..... I'm gonna watch it again, maybe it'll make me feel better. I don't know what's happening to our Defense. I thought it was better than they are playing right now.......

If you wanna feel better, only start from when the crowd started chanting for Carr. Anyways, about the Defense, every game around 4 min. mark in 4th quarter, if we lead by 3 or 7, I start feeling a 30+ yard pass completion from the opponent. I have no faith in this D in the end of the game. They always give up majority of the field in like 5 plays in the end.

Ignore that. Smith was playing well from start to finish...just skip the fumble and you will feel much better.
"Mr. Checkdown" threw for over 300 yards and complete SEVERAL passes of 15 to 20 yards and a few of 30-40 yards.

STOP listening to Collinsworth. He doesn't know the reads on a play. Just because a guy appears open, that doesn't mean you throw to him. If he's the second read but the first read is wide open, you throw to the first read.
You really have to consider the type of D the EAgles starting playing the 4th Qtr. It was more of a prevent and soft coverage.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by sachie23:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
The Smith apologists blow my mind....

So what you guys are saying is that the best game of his career was a loss in which he had 3 turnovers.

I mean, I guess I have to agree but that fact speaks volumes to his ineptitude as a QB in this league.

I'm tired of this and I'm not going to let him go free of blame for another game/week/season.

He's garbage pure and simple. Good QB's know how to win games and eliminate turnovers, no matter what the circumstances. He can't do either. Let's also remember that he's got an abundance of talent around.

Everyone can look good sometimes. His bright spots are far too infrequent, too inconsistent and never come through when the game's on the line.

...and the Smith haters drive me nuts. No matter what the guy does, you would hate him. I'm not saying he's the best QB in the world, I'm just saying that he played well. If you were OBJECTIVE, then you would see that.

Objective is seeing that he had 3 costly turnovers and didn't win the game. That doesn't constitute "playing well" in my book and I don't think it does in anyone else's as well.

Lol. I love how you twist the statistics to fit your argument. The first interception ended up with the Eagles having to start a drive on their 3 yard line. Hardly all that costly. The second interception was at the end of the game when A Davis completely whiffed on a block and he was hit as he threw. Give Alex more than 1.5 seconds on that play and that ball is probably not picked off.

The fumble obviously was horrible.

Gore, as good of a player as he is had two extremely costly turnovers. Both occurred when we were driving down the field. Alex Smith was not the reason we lost this game.

If I remember right the 1st Int was on 2nd down and the team was around mid field. So I would say that was very costly when you still have 3rd down to try and get a 1st down and points on the board. His last pick looked to me like he just thew up in the air. He did get killed but he let the ball go before he got hit. I have been a huge Alex supporter but I he just doesn't have it. He makes mistakes every week that hurt the team.

You remember wrong.

Smith began his throwing motion JUST before the DE busted free of Davis and CLEARLY hits Smith in the chest before he could complete the throwing motion. The reciever he was throwing to BTW (Zieglar) was open for about 12 yards and a first down.

Yea, that's why I was yelling at A. Davis in the stands and not A. Smith. If Davis was able to sustain his block for about another two to three seconds, Smith completes that pass and we continue to march down the field with time left.

That's why this season is soooooo agonizing as we as a team have failed with penalties, missed assignments, lapse in focus, poor decision making, etc., but the leader has been Smith in all those regards.

He needs to lead us out of this hole by not making critical mistakes at critical times starting this Sunday, damn it!
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Smith wasn't the sole reason. He was equally culpable with Gore. The offense has been more responsible for our losses this season than the D.

I don't know about that. Gore had 2 turnovers that were his fault (great plays by the D too) but didn't do much in the running game to help the team win. 52 yards on 18 carries isn't going to cut it, especially when you put the ball on the carpet twice.

Alex's fumble was all on him. Bad in more ways than one (he never should have rolled out there in the first place) but he had over 300 yards and 3 TDs.

I'd still say they equally hurt us since Smith's fumble was returned for 6. Either way, the point is the offense hurts the team too much with TOs and 3 and outs. The D is going to break at some point.

so whats your excuse for the D when we score on the opening drive against the Eagles then they march right down the field and score to tie it up...

The Bears D was able to stop the Panthers after The Bears QB threw 4 ints and 63 yards for the entire game

But, but but... It's a QB-driven league!

By insinuating that it's NOT a QB driven league, you lose credibility.

Its just that cliche statements like that are stupid. Every time I hear it the person saying it loses credibility. I don't care how driven by any one positions the game is, no one wins the SB without a quality D and a decent running game. Period. Not to mention the fact that if it is all about the QB and that is what all teams are trying to do, defenses are adjusting to that kind of football, being built around stopping the QB, wouldn't it be prudent to be the first team to buck that trend and create an offense that takes advantage of what the QB-driven league D's are trying to do? Of course it would.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by sachie23:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
The Smith apologists blow my mind....

So what you guys are saying is that the best game of his career was a loss in which he had 3 turnovers.

I mean, I guess I have to agree but that fact speaks volumes to his ineptitude as a QB in this league.

I'm tired of this and I'm not going to let him go free of blame for another game/week/season.

He's garbage pure and simple. Good QB's know how to win games and eliminate turnovers, no matter what the circumstances. He can't do either. Let's also remember that he's got an abundance of talent around.

Everyone can look good sometimes. His bright spots are far too infrequent, too inconsistent and never come through when the game's on the line.

...and the Smith haters drive me nuts. No matter what the guy does, you would hate him. I'm not saying he's the best QB in the world, I'm just saying that he played well. If you were OBJECTIVE, then you would see that.

Objective is seeing that he had 3 costly turnovers and didn't win the game. That doesn't constitute "playing well" in my book and I don't think it does in anyone else's as well.

Lol. I love how you twist the statistics to fit your argument. The first interception ended up with the Eagles having to start a drive on their 3 yard line. Hardly all that costly. The second interception was at the end of the game when A Davis completely whiffed on a block and he was hit as he threw. Give Alex more than 1.5 seconds on that play and that ball is probably not picked off.

The fumble obviously was horrible.

Gore, as good of a player as he is had two extremely costly turnovers. Both occurred when we were driving down the field. Alex Smith was not the reason we lost this game.

If I remember right the 1st Int was on 2nd down and the team was around mid field. So I would say that was very costly when you still have 3rd down to try and get a 1st down and points on the board. His last pick looked to me like he just thew up in the air. He did get killed but he let the ball go before he got hit. I have been a huge Alex supporter but I he just doesn't have it. He makes mistakes every week that hurt the team.

You remember wrong.

Smith began his throwing motion JUST before the DE busted free of Davis and CLEARLY hits Smith in the chest before he could complete the throwing motion. The reciever he was throwing to BTW (Zieglar) was open for about 12 yards and a first down.

Yea, that's why I was yelling at A. Davis in the stands and not A. Smith. If Davis was able to sustain his block for about another two to three seconds, Smith completes that pass and we continue to march down the field with time left.

That's why this season is soooooo agonizing as we as a team have failed with penalties, missed assignments, lapse in focus, poor decision making, etc., but the leader has been Smith in all those regards.

He needs to lead us out of this hole by not making critical mistakes at critical times starting this Sunday, damn it!

Damn, 2 to 3 seconds? That's asking A LOT. If he could have sustained his block for another one second that would have been nice and probably would have resulted in another outcome.
Agree for the most part. I forgot to set the DVR, so I have not been able to rewatch the game. I think the lack of defense is the biggest suprise of this year. Smith may have not played horribly, but he makes mistakes at the worst times. He also has 10 turnovers! That is just plain unacceptable. Sometimes he just needs to tuck the ball away and take the sack. 6 years later, he should know this...
Originally posted by Joecool:
Smith wasn't the sole reason. He was equally culpable with Gore. The offense has been more responsible for our losses this season than the D.

I don't know about that. Gore had 2 turnovers that were his fault (great plays by the D too) but didn't do much in the running game to help the team win. 52 yards on 18 carries isn't going to cut it, especially when you put the ball on the carpet twice.

Alex's fumble was all on him. Bad in more ways than one (he never should have rolled out there in the first place) but he had over 300 yards and 3 TDs.

I'd still say they equally hurt us since Smith's fumble was returned for 6. Either way, the point is the offense hurts the team too much with TOs and 3 and outs. The D is going to break at some point.

so whats your excuse for the D when we score on the opening drive against the Eagles then they march right down the field and score to tie it up...

The Bears D was able to stop the Panthers after The Bears QB threw 4 ints and 63 yards for the entire game

I think you forgot to mention the Panthers QB's threw 3 combined INTs. They also had 4 fumbles but none were lost.

"Face!"

Exactly. I didn't see much of the game, only what they showed on the RedZone channel. That's the point. The Bears D stopped them, those three INTs was part of stopping them. It's pretty cut and dry what happened when you win a game by 17 points and your QB throws 4 picks and only 63 yards. Forte was the offense, the D did the rest. Even dealing with 4 picks.

Yeah but the Panthers QB is about as good as ours. Did the Bears defense stop them or was it just poor play like our QB not making smart decisions? I wish we play against QB's like Alex Smith who try to throw passes while falling down or throw right into a defenders stomach.

My point is that Alex has been throwing to the defense or giving it to them when he had other open options on that play. That's not good defense, that's poor QB'ing.

By insinuating that it's NOT a QB driven league, you lose credibility.

Its just that cliche statements like that are stupid. Every time I hear it the person saying it loses credibility. I don't care how driven by any one positions the game is, no one wins the SB without a quality D and a decent running game. Period. Not to mention the fact that if it is all about the QB and that is what all teams are trying to do, defenses are adjusting to that kind of football, being built around stopping the QB, wouldn't it be prudent to be the first team to buck that trend and create an offense that takes advantage of what the QB-driven league D's are trying to do? Of course it would.

what hes trying to say is that the team doesnt wn or lose witht he qb

its a team sport
Originally posted by dwy621:
"Mr. Checkdown" threw for over 300 yards and complete SEVERAL passes of 15 to 20 yards and a few of 30-40 yards.

STOP listening to Collinsworth. He doesn't know the reads on a play. Just because a guy appears open, that doesn't mean you throw to him. If he's the second read but the first read is wide open, you throw to the first read.

You really have to consider the type of D the EAgles starting playing the 4th Qtr. It was more of a prevent and soft coverage.
Who said anything about the 4th quarter? He did it all game. WATCH THE GAME AGAIN.

I think you forgot to mention the Panthers QB's threw 3 combined INTs. They also had 4 fumbles but none were lost.

"Face!"

Exactly. I didn't see much of the game, only what they showed on the RedZone channel. That's the point. The Bears D stopped them, those three INTs was part of stopping them. It's pretty cut and dry what happened when you win a game by 17 points and your QB throws 4 picks and only 63 yards. Forte was the offense, the D did the rest. Even dealing with 4 picks.

Yeah but the Panthers QB is about as good as ours.
Did the Bears defense stop them or was it just poor play like our QB not making smart decisions? I wish we play against QB's like Alex Smith who try to throw passes while falling down or throw right into a defenders stomach.

My point is that Alex has been throwing to the defense or giving it to them when he had other open options on that play. That's not good defense, that's poor QB'ing.

So Clausen and Moore threw for over 300 yards and 3 TDs? The Panthers QB(s) didn't even throw for 100 yards or one TD. Chicago's D is good but so is Philly's. Actually before Sunday Philly's D was ranked higher than the Bears. Just stop posting, you're not capable of clear or critical thought (when it comes to these type of discussions anyways).

[ Edited by Gavintech on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:57:26 ]

Originally posted by HIMYM:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Good post..... I'm gonna watch it again, maybe it'll make me feel better. I don't know what's happening to our Defense. I thought it was better than they are playing right now.......

If you wanna feel better, only start from when the crowd started chanting for Carr. Anyways, about the Defense, every game around 4 min. mark in 4th quarter, if we lead by 3 or 7, I start feeling a 30+ yard pass completion from the opponent. I have no faith in this D in the end of the game. They always give up majority of the field in like 5 plays in the end.

Ignore that. Smith was playing well from start to finish...just skip the fumble and you will feel much better.

I noticed that about the defense too. Seems like they've take a step backward. I thought they were much stouter last year and so I expected better from them.....

It's the stinking turnovers that make me sick...... If they stop turning the ball over I'll feel great......
Ooops, double post.

[ Edited by Gavintech on Oct 12, 2010 at 11:57:04 ]
great post man!!! I feel the same way, I just hope we can somehow pull it together, I still believe in out team but its becoming more and more difficult to hope for a different result when each time you go to the game believing you are the better team, you just find a way to lose it repetitively...

I still support alex and coach but they really have to do something special to keep their jobs for next season....

lets keep the faith!!

go nienrs

"Face!"

Yeah but the Panthers QB is about as good as ours.
Did the Bears defense stop them or was it just poor play like our QB not making smart decisions? I wish we play against QB's like Alex Smith who try to throw passes while falling down or throw right into a defenders stomach.

So Clausen and Moore threw for over 300 yards and 3 TDs? The Panthers QB(s) didn't even throw for 100 yards or one TD. Chicago's D is good but so is Philly's. Actually before Sunday Philly's D was ranked higher than the Bears. Just stop posting, you're not capable of clear or critical thought.

Clausen is a rookie QB who has 1 TD and 3 Interceptions. His best game was 188 yards. He has thrown under 61 yards in two games and a 4th game with only 146 yards. Moore has thrown 0 TD and 1 Interception on the season.

Really? It's not only the Bears who have been able to "stop" these guys. They aren't doing anything against any teams.

Why don't you look at more than one game before you begin to claim a defense was great even though they played against crap QBing. You combine crap QB against a top 15 defense and you have a near shutout.

You claimed the Bears won while throwing 4 INTs because of their defense not at all acknowledging that the other teams crap QB's threw 3 INTs and that EVERY team has been able to stop those QB's and you're telling me to stop posting?

But I guess our QB turning the ball over almost 3 times per game means nothing. Now include even more turnovers by our offense overall and you say it's the defense's fault?

This offense has 6 fumbles lost and 9 INTs. That's 15 turnovers in 5 games!

This defense has gotten 5 turnovers in 5 games but no one talks about the fact that our offense should be turning those 5 turnovers into TD's. You can't make up for 15 turnovers! Seriously?
Originally posted by dwy621:

Who said anything about the 4th quarter? He did it all game. WATCH THE GAME AGAIN.
I did watch the yesterday and I agree that Smith played better than I thought when I saw it live. I'm just saying that a majority of those 300 yards came in the 4th qtr.

Smith is as good as his Oline will play. He needs a perfect pocket in order to to anything.
Share 49ersWebzone