LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Now that I have rewatched the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Ya know, its amazing what can happen when you rewatch a game and alot of the tension is removed. You see things quite a bit differently. I think you end up seeing things the way fans of other teams see them.

Anyway....many things stood out.

1) The play of Alex Smith
2) The playcalling of Mike Johnson
3) The Play of Michael Crabtree
4) The problems on D.

1) Alex: This is well covered territory and I know I'm not breaking any ground here, but I watched him very closely when I watched the game again. I know this won't be popular, but he actually played pretty damn well even before the argument with Singletary.

I was on the verge of calling for the Yorks to blow the team up and waive goodbye to Alex, but now I'm not so sure.

He made 2 mistakes. One was the INT on the deep pass to Ginn. Ya, it wasn't a great pass, but those things are low % throws so I can't blame him for taking the shot we have been wanting him to take all season. It would also help if Ginn made more of an effort on the ball, but it was still not a great throw and was Alex's fault. The theres the fumble. No excuse. Horrible. He'd be the first to tell you that. That simply can't happen. Period. The final INT of the game tho was really Anthony Davis fault. If you watch, Alex makes the decision to throw the ball BEFORE the DE breaks free of Davis. Alex didn't have a chance.

Other than that tho....he looked GOOD. I mean REALLY good. If you don't believe me, watch the game again. The drives that stalled did so because of turnovers. The Niners punted only ONCE until there were 5 minutes left in the THIRD quarter. Alex was hitting passes on third down. He was hitting passes for 15 and 20 yards, so they weren't just checkdowns. He was hitting Crabtree, Ginn, Davis, Morgan, Gore....he was getting EVERYONE involved. He hit Ginn for almost 20 yards on a 3rd and ONE. He hit Davis for about 25 yards on 3rd and 15.

After the confrontation with Sing, he was even better.

Smith is everyones favorite scapegoat. To be fair he has at times made it easy to scapegoat him. Sunday tho....he played pretty damn well. If you don't believe me, watch the game again.

2) Johnson: I was reading yesterday that there were peeps here who were critical of MJs playcalling. WATCH THE GAME AGAIN. He was AGGRESSIVE. The Niners punted ONCE until 5 min left in the 3rd quarter and only punted 3 times in the entire game. One of those punts came after three consecutive incomplete passes. EVERY SINGLE ONE of the turnovers happened on a drive in which the 49ers had gotten a first down. They were moving the ball. The second Gore fumble was after back to back playes of 25 yards (pass to Davis) and 17 yards (run by Gore).

After watching this game again, I am not concerned at all about the playcalling.

3) Crabtree: Crabtree started to look like the guy who played at Texas Tech. The attribute of his game that has been missing so far is his run-after-catch ability. He showed it on some nifty plays down the sideline. He also ran a great route and made a great catch on his TD. What strikes me the most tho are the length of his arms. LOL. Serously...he looks like a freak. Watch him when he puts his arms up after scoring the TD...I swear to got he could fly with those things...lol.

4) The D: This is the one that concerns me. They to often find themselves out of position and have a reciever running through the secondary with nobody within 5-10 yards of them. Kolb looked good, but when a guy is that open, its pretty hard to miss them. The run D has also been showing some cracks of late. Some have said that WIllis may be hurt, but I don't think thats it. I think he's getting covered up by lionemen more than in the past. He hasn't been able to run free. I dunno if thats something offenses are doing or if its the D not protecting him. I just hope they fix it.

I'm also concerned about Mays. Its not that he played poorly. He just seems a step slow right now (although he caused the fumble that the Eagles recovered). Its not about his potential...I'm just not sure he was ready to play. We'll see and I hope he proves me wrong.

I think that Lewis is a dick. He forced Mays being on the field full time. He got butthurt that Sing told him he wasn't going to Start ONE game and then fled like a little girl. Nvm check that. I know little girls that are tougher. This is the NFL nobody is GUARANTEED a Start. Hell I don't know one league where anyone is guaranteed a Start unless it's the Coach's kid.

So we have to take our lumps with Mays and there ain't anything we can do about it. I just hope that he doesn't put us in a bad spot. I don't believe he will though. Kid was playing pretty well and as you said had that caused fumble.

Good review top to bottom.

~Ceadder
  • dj43
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by dj43:
On the very last play were A.Smith was getting hurried, hit and threw the INT,

if Smith would've done a spin move and juked the rusher, he would have had a clear field. Yes or no? I only saw one rusher coming in
Possibly, but if he tries the spin move and fails, it is a sack and game over before they could stop the clock.

Let's get back to actual circumstances; if Nedney hits a gimme field goal, this conversation doesn't exist.

One other "re-watch" bit, Collinsworth pointed out Vernon Davis not turning to look around quickly enough for Smith to get the ball to him on the blitz. We all love Davis but that is a problem he continues to have. He just doesn't sense blitz and what his proper reaction should be. A quarterback needs to have a TE that will be reliable under those situations if the proper pass is to become instinctual with the QB.

Damn good point.

So I guess the real question is.....

how do we get the oline to play like the beasts that they are?
Part of it is coaching and part is scheme. The man blocking system is more difficult to learn. A zone system is easier, and also more efficient if you want to run outside the tackles. Since this offense is geared to run INSIDE the tackles, Singletary has stuck with the same scheme that Nolan introduced.

The switch is not all that hard but it will take some work. Instead of just manning up, you block the "zone" between the two guys beside you...PERIOD. If you want run to the outside, everyone just shifts together.

Also, I would like to see Heitmann back at center with Baas at RG. I don't think Baas is as accomplished at setting protections as Baas. That may be just my assessment of it but I see too many situations where the OL is clearly confused. Maybe that is just about the rookies but it is always good to have an experience vet doing the job at center. In any case, I believe Baas at RG is better than Rachal or Snyder. I am not in favor of Heitmann at RG and Baas at center. I want Eric's experience. I think that might give Smith more confidence as well. Too many hurries on Smith this year. Changes must be made.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Nes49:
After I rewatched the game....I was like damn.....U can feel the hate from the faithful....this TEAM isn't playing up to their metal.

I was there with my 10yr old daughter who questioned what was happening around her because she didn't understand the venom.

I explained that after living 20 years of greatness with 5 championships, an innovative and successful HOF HC, with TWO HOF QBs, our fans have had enough of empty promises, losses, and the continuous display of carelessness with the rock by the same QB, Mr. Alex Smith for OVER FIVE YEARS.

I also told her to keep watching to see if Carr comes in or doesn't as I could see the interactions between Alex and Coach. She was pleasantly surprised to see Alex back and started to cheer for him and Crabtree, she wears his jersey when they started to drive down the field especially on that last TD drive.

She truly was amazed how quickly and directly we came back to score two TDs and was disappointed when Alex threw that last INT.

Well, I told her, that is why the fans had enough...because he seems to keep messing up even though he's successful at times, the Jeckle and Hyde thing.

The fans have really had enough of Smith erratic play. They want consistency and leadership from their QB.

Let's see if this week it happens the entire game instead of waiting until it's too late.

Go Alex! Free Alex! Just win Alex! Insert Alex support comment here.

As we all are man, But THIS ENTIRE TEAM LET US DOWN....not just Alex....at least he's trying. U gotta admit...seeing him stand up against Singletary as well as put the game on his shoulders again & ALMOST win it for us, maybe there's still hope for him yet.
On the very last play were A.Smith was getting hurried, hit and threw the INT,

if Smith would've done a spin move and juked the rusher, he would have had a clear field. Yes or no? I only saw one rusher coming in
Possibly, but if he tries the spin move and fails, it is a sack and game over before they could stop the clock.

Let's get back to actual circumstances; if Nedney hits a gimme field goal, this conversation doesn't exist.

One other "re-watch" bit, Collinsworth pointed out Vernon Davis not turning to look around quickly enough for Smith to get the ball to him on the blitz. We all love Davis but that is a problem he continues to have. He just doesn't sense blitz and what his proper reaction should be. A quarterback needs to have a TE that will be reliable under those situations if the proper pass is to become instinctual with the QB.

Damn good point.

So I guess the real question is.....

how do we get the oline to play like the beasts that they are?
Part of it is coaching and part is scheme. The man blocking system is more difficult to learn. A zone system is easier, and also more efficient if you want to run outside the tackles. Since this offense is geared to run INSIDE the tackles, Singletary has stuck with the same scheme that Nolan introduced.

The switch is not all that hard but it will take some work. Instead of just manning up, you block the "zone" between the two guys beside you...PERIOD. If you want run to the outside, everyone just shifts together.

Also, I would like to see Heitmann back at center with Baas at RG. I don't think Baas is as accomplished at setting protections as Heitmann. That may be just my assessment of it but I see too many situations where the OL is clearly confused. Maybe that is just about the rookies but it is always good to have an experience vet doing the job at center. In any case, I believe Baas at RG is better than Rachal or Snyder. I am not in favor of Heitmann at RG and Baas at center. I want Eric's experience. I think that might give Smith more confidence as well. Too many hurries on Smith this year. Changes must be made.

FIFY
  • dj43
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
As someone pointed out in another thread, Alex does just enough to make us lose.

Although his game wasnt as bad as some of his other performances, he was the reason why the came transitioned from winnable (17-10) to impossible (24-10).

This has been one of Alex's setbacks ever since he arrived on the scene. He just isnt capable of getting this team over the hump. As long as the overall team is playing well, Alex seems to compete. But one penalty, one defensive mishap, one dropped pass is all it takes for him to self destruct. As Madden points out, it's a quarterback's league. At some point, your leader has to overcome team mistakes and make a bad situation into a good one.

Alex, unfortunately, rarely does this.

Just signs of a bad team. Think about it how often do you see Brady or Manning put in a bad position. Not sayin Alex is anywhere near the level of those 2 but the guy needs some help and I'm not talking about out the door

Manning was in a bad position throughout his first couple of years, BUT... you could tell he was gonna be good.
You cannot compare Manning to Smith. In Manning's case, he has had Tom Moore, the same OC throughout his career. (now has a Moore protege calling plays with Moore as "offensive consultant) Moore's offense was tailored to take advantage of Peyton's best talents. Moore and Indy brass tailored their drafts to bring in players like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark who were not only excellent athletes but could also read defenses and make quick, accurate sight adjustments to allow Manning to have an open receiver almost immediately. He also had Tony Dungy, a very bright guy who is also very quarterback friendly. Dungy understood the unique relationship that must exist between a HC and his quarterback.

So far, Alex Smith has had NONE of those things.

The two situations are both prototypes. Indy is about how to develop a quarterback. SF is about how to make sure a quarterback is going to have the maximum number of barriers to success.

You dont think that Manning had anything to do with the development of these guys ? I didnt see any teams jump on Harrison when he was let go from Indy. And Dallas Clark is NOT a probowler without Manning as his QB. QBs make average players look great. They make great players look even better. This is exactly what Manning and Brady (see Deion Branch, see Troy Brown) did with their respective teams.

Sorry, dude. But Alex HAS the players around him to be great. Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook, and Dixon = a monster backfield. If anything, Smith should be lighting up defenders with his arm, forcing them to defend the pass..........THEN allowing Gore and Co. to tear it up with the running game.

Instead, Smith's failed attempt at QBing has allowed teams to pack the box and defend the run. Without a running game, our team is in shambles.
Of course Manning helped them but he didn't do it until the OL was in shape, AND he got Harrison and the rest of them.

If you don't think an average quarterback would keep Dallas Clark in the Pro Bowl then you need to watch Indy a little closer. The guy blocks, has speed, AND perhaps most importantly, reads defenses better than just about any other TE in the game. Without his reads on many pressure situations, Manning would have no where to throw the ball.

However, my main point is, Peyton Manning had the same OC for all his career, and that OC tailored the offense to Peyton's style and ability. He also had a head coach that fully understood what makes a good offense and he let his OC run that part of the show even though he knew what would work and why. Dungy is a very good defensive mind who knows both the strengths and weaknesses of different defensive approaches, and he helps his OC attack those weaknesses - something that has never happened in SF since Nolan/Sing have been here.

Clark is one of the reason's Manning is Manning. He makes Peyton's life so much easier than most TE ever could.
Clark is SO very good at reading defenses and making the correct hot read.

Vernon Davis has improved his overall play a good deal since MS sent him for an early shower. However, the one area that has not improved is his hot reads. By that I mean making an adjustment that opens him up in less that 2 seconds. In at least two situations against the Eagles, Smith looked immediately at Davis, cocked his arm as if to throw to him but Davis wasn't looking and Smith had to pull it down and look elsewhere. On one of those occasions, Collinsworth reviewed the play and noted that Davis was making it hard on his quarterback by not looking back on time.
On the :36 mark focus on Graham and how he gets blasted on this pass play by Davis, Bass and finally Rachal

Man, we need more of that and consistently from our OL. That was awesome!
Share 49ersWebzone