LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Any chance Sing lit a fire under Smith ala TE Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bret:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
90% of Alex's struggles are psychological and have been psychological IMO. We've seen this throughout his career. Last night after he went back in he is just chucking the ball around and not thinking about it too much. We saw it agaisnt Houston last year too. He wasn't expecting to play so he just threw it in there when he got in during the second half.

Alex sometimes thinks too much. Then he hesitates. The hesitation leads to the ball being off or late and sometimes high. Also holding it too long where he sometimes fumbles. He gets unsure and second guesses himself. You just have to chuck it in there in the NFL. He plays best when he just throws and doesn't think.

IMO he can throw the ball. But it's the hesitation and insecurity that bites him sometimes.

I once dated a girl who had been in about a dozen car accidents. I never understood why until I rode with her: she was just like Alex. She'd pull up to an intersection, and I'd look left and right and think intuitively, "after that third car on the left we'll have an opening". But she never trusted that instinct. She'd wait until the opening got there and then sort of double clutch and finally get out into the intersection a split second too late! I was terrified! (I didn't give her 6 years of chances, I never rode with her again!)

But it shows by analogy your exact point.

In fact, it seemed like this year for the first time, Alex seemed to have overcome most of this.

But I think you're right, that when he's under pressure and pressing a little bit, he falls back into old habits.

Who knows if he can ever change. But this season gives me hope he can do it. It also gives me fear he won't do it with us and he'll come back to haunt us for the next ten years.

then Homer Simpson is gonna go....
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
it's amazing what a quarterback can do when defenses are playing soft to preserve a lead and run the clock out....knowing eventually that the other teams quarterback will make a mistake

While Sing hasnt been successful as a coach and never deserved the position and Alex hasnt been a good QB, they are not losers. I would guess that both have been more successful than u, in life. Dont make the remarks personal. It makes all of us fans look bad.

that had nothing to do with what i posted. i believe you're the one getting personal there, brah.

[ Edited by GoldenIowa49er on Oct 12, 2010 at 06:26:30 ]
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ptw1:
it's amazing what a quarterback can do when defenses are playing soft to preserve a lead and run the clock out....knowing eventually that the other teams quarterback will make a mistake

While Sing hasnt been successful as a coach and never deserved the position and Alex hasnt been a good QB, they are not losers. I would guess that both have been more successful than u, in life. Dont make the remarks personal. It makes all of us fans look bad.

that had nothing to do with what i posted. i believe you're the one getting personal there, brah.

sorry, i quoted the wrong poster. meant to quote the poster before you
Share 49ersWebzone