Grade Mike Johnson's play calling last night:

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Mike Johnson's play calling last night:

• tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Joecool:
While I would give him a passing grade last night, the bigger question to me is; is he improving.

The answer to me is 'yes.' The first game he had almost no time to prepare anything different than the Raye offense. Last night he put in a lot more variety and had more players involved.

There were two problems last night as I saw it.

1. Johnson did not make any adjustments after the first drive. This was the same thing as the Atlanta game. I put a great deal of that on inexperience and lack of support in the rest of the staff to look for the ways to adjust. Eventually he did make some adjustments that worked well. (I wonder how many of the plays in those last two TD drives were his calls and how many were Smith's. In a number of cases it looked like Alex was calling his own plays. He certainly audibled on what appeared to be about 1/3 of the plays.)

2. It takes players time to adjust to the change in play design and their own responsibilities and assignments. Johnson's biggest hurdle right now is trying to "change horses in the middle of the stream." Players spent all of OTAs and TC learning to think and play one way and now Johnson is trying to get them to change that mindset and those playing patterns to a very different way of playing and thinking. That is going to take time.

#1 is completely false. We were moving the ball. We had nearly a 100 yard receiver in the 1st half. This caused the defense to adjust in the second half and Ginn and Vernon ended up being open deep on multiple plays. This means the defense focused on Crabtree's routes more.

Johnson called a very good game.
You only read the first sentence. I said he did adjust eventually but Philly took away some stuff after the first drive for which Johnson did not have an immediate counter. As I said, part of that is experience and part of it is how much the staff helps.

One of the great contributions to the Walsh/Seifert success was the high level of communication and understanding between the OL and receiver coaches and the OC. When Philly adjusted last night the staff did not have an good response. That is not all on Johnson.

Overall, I would likely give him a C for last night but a higher grade for the progress he has made under very difficult circumstances of taking over a row boat in the middle of the lake and trying to turn it into a blown fuel hydro.

Did either of you catch Cris Cillingsworth's comment about this game was the first game since the J.Raye era that they actually [listen carefully now] 'Game Planned"???

If there's truth to that, then that could explain why the coachs never seem to make adjustments during the games.[/list]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by rapid4:
C -, however this is an improvement. But - ignored Vernon Davis the entire first half, kept calling Gore up the middle when everyone in the stands much less the Eagles knew it was coming, still needs to call a broader variety of plays. After the first drive, no more TD until the end of the 4th quarter. We are not going to win many games with 7 or 10 points (plus garbage-time scores), particularly since we don't have a shut-down defense. It's all about scoring more points than the opponent, and MJ has to get us up from 7-10 to the 20-30 point range.

Agreed. Our biggest problems are ball security and our defense.

But our defense has pretty much the same personnel it had last year. With the replacement of Lewis for Mays and the same coordinator. My question is, why isn't the defense playing as good as it did last year?
One answer is that offenses have learned how to deal with #52. Need to use Spikes and Bowman in a more open scheme that allows them to roam more instead of playing like a defensive fullback.

Also, teams have learned that Aubrayo Franklin is a one-gap NT and have taken advantage of the fact he usually takes a slant instead of a head-on approach. Last night Philly, and previously KC and Atlanta, just used his momentum to push him out of the play and allow the runner to pick which side was open. Need a true two-gap NT or switch to a 4-3.

Thanks for the input. Is what you're saying though a fact or opinion though? I'm just curious. I want to know the real issue.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Yetiman:
Originally posted by Baldie:
I think the playcalling has improved a bit. They are totally moving the ball more than they were with Raye calling the plays. If those turnovers didn't happen and we win, then everyone is praising Mike Johnson's play calling. Its not Mike fumbling the ball, its the players. He called a good game, its just the players made the mistakes in the game. Those last two drives should represent what we should be doing on every drive. If the offense needs to be in a 2 min offense to thrive, then do that throughout the game. Alex seems to thrive on the hurry up when calling his own plays anyway.

I pretty much agree with this. The play-calling itself was good, but the execution wasn't. I think most of the problem lies with the OL. Not doing a particularly good job of opening holes in the running game, and not pass-protecting well at all. If the line issues can (ever) be fixed, it would improve the whole offense, both run and pass.

Its just so heartbreaking that this team is just on the border from being so great. We have the talent. The play-calling has improved. The OLine just can't be consistant. The QB play is mediocre and the defense is off and on. They do enough to stay in the game, but not enough to win it.
F.Gore up the middle to PHI 17 for 1 yard (A.Dixon). caught at PH 14
F.Gore up the middle to PHI 7 for -2 yards (T.Cole).
F.Gore left guard to SF 27 for 1 yard (M.Patterson).
F.Gore right end to SF 28 for 1 yard (Q.Mikell).
F.Gore right guard to SF 45 for 3 yards (M.Fokou). FUMBLES (M.Fokou), RECOVERED by PHI-E.Sims at SF 45. E.Sims to SF 45 for no gain (J.Staley).
F.Gore right tackle to SF 31 for 2 yards (A.Dixon).
(Shotgun) F.Gore right guard to SF 38 for 2 yards (J.Parker).
F.Gore left end to SF 16 for -4 yards (B.Graham).
F.Gore up the middle to SF 32 for 2 yards (S.Bradley).

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
I give him an A. He wasn't the one who fumbled twice. The execution was what was lacking. We went up against a team that was supposedly weak against the run and that was before the injuries.

- We wanted Alex to throw the ball down field and MJ called those plays. For the 1st time this season our leading receiver wasn't Frank Gore.

- MJ isn't the one who turned the ball over 4 times. He isn't the one who missed a "automatic" Field Goal. He put us in position to make plays and the execution F'd it up

- Most of you need to learn the damn sport before commenting after the fact. Maybe you should watch our 1st 3 games to see the difference of Raye and MJ. Give the guy a break, for only 2 weeks on the job he's doing great.

[ Edited by TheNef77 on Oct 11, 2010 at 11:18:09 ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
D+

scored another opening drive TD, which is great, but then we didn't do s**t for most of the rest of the game. It got better late--too late.
AWFUL

Until we were down big
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:

Last 7 minutes: A

Last seven minutes was Alex calling the plays in the no-huddle.
I KNOW ALEX SMITH LEADS THE LEAGUE IN INTERCEPTIONS BUT CAN WE PLEASE THROW THE BALL A LIL MORE!!! I KNOW MIKE JOHNSON IS STILL FOLLOWING SINGLETARYS WISHES BUT PLAIN AND SIMPLE WE MOVE THE BALL WHEN WE THROW I LOVE GORE BUT LOOK AT CRABTREE AND V DAVIS NUMBERS THE NUMBERS DONT LIE SO HERES MY LETTER TO MIKE PLEEEEEEAAAAAASE THROW THE BALL MORE WE GOT THE TALENT!!! I GAVE YOU A B FOR YOUR 2ND HALF PLAY CALLING!!!
  • NP9er
  • Veteran
Coach Pom Pom was at it again

Singletary also addressed the team's predictability on first down with runs up the middle. Singletary said he talked to offensive coordinator Mike Johnson during the week about the need to run the ball. It seems as if the 49ers felt they could get some good gains on runs particularly from three-receiver sets and spread formations.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=74309#ixzz125KRZJrU

Why doesn't somebody lock the door to the offensive meetings and keep that Neanderthal away from the offense

Originally posted by NP9er:
Coach Pom Pom was at it again

Singletary also addressed the team's predictability on first down with runs up the middle. Singletary said he talked to offensive coordinator Mike Johnson during the week about the need to run the ball. It seems as if the 49ers felt they could get some good gains on runs particularly from three-receiver sets and spread formations.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=74309#ixzz125KRZJrU

Why doesn't somebody lock the door to the offensive meetings and keep that Neanderthal away from the offense

Analyst were saying this also, that we should be able to take advantage of the Eagles weakness against the run. Too bad no team is afraid of Alex Smith and rightfully so.
i gave it a C- because MJ's callings at the end of the game gave us a chance to win...but it's only C- because of the run on first and 2nd in the 1st half when it didnt work at all.

[ Edited by communist on Oct 11, 2010 at 13:56:14 ]
We had a LOT of third and longs. That usually means you're gonna lose.
I am crazy--I won't deny it---but i truly believe this team should trade Frank Gore.

I would rather have a workhorse rb that gets 3-5 yards a pop than one that gets 1-3 yards a pop with the occasional long burst.

an emmitt smith type rather than a barry sanders type--Gore is sort of in between-- a poor man's both.
Not going to give him a grade...but

9 straight runs on first down
still running gore up the middle for little to no gain
failure to move the pocket
terrible personnel groupings(over reliance on 2 TE sets and moran norris)
Share 49ersWebzone