LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 246 users in the forums

Grade Mike Johnson's play calling last night:

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Mike Johnson's play calling last night:

I have to say I think it was a big improvement.

There were of course vintage Sing moments when they ran it into the line 3 times with minimal yardage.

Also they put themselves in too many 3rd and long situations.

He also has more to learn when it comes to using the run creatively (i.e. where is the draw play? why no draw plays? great for keeping teams off balance and their pass rush at home.)

All in all though the 9ers are far less prdictable with him calling the play and they are focusing more on geting the ball down field. As far as play calling goes I was actually not too upset with Alex's first int because it was on a deep pass and essentially amounted to a great punt. That being said, he DID underthrow it and I DID throw up in my mouth just a bit.

I am giving Mike Johnson's play calling a B-
it was good in the end crappy at the beginning
Please. It was a C- at best. They only moved the ball during the first drive, and the last 2 drives that resulted in touchdowns, which I think had Alex making the calls.

I believe the niners didnt touch the red zone until the 4th quarter after comeback.
D+

scored another opening drive TD, which is great, but then we didn't do s**t for most of the rest of the game. It got better late--too late.
The more he ignores Singletary the better we are!

Memo to Mike Johnson,

Mike, coach Singletary will most likely be gone at the end of this season. The new head coach will have the power to select his staff. Please consider the remainder of this season you audition, and your resume, for other teams, as it is highly unlikely any head coach we hire will keep any of this staff intact.

thank you and have a nice day,

Jed.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
D+

scored another opening drive TD, which is great, but then we didn't do s**t for most of the rest of the game. It got better late--too late.

we were moving the ball effectively though nedney missed a FG and 2 gore fmbles and the alex int to giinn (where he shud have ooked around)
He gets an A for the opening drives the past 2 weeks, and a C- for the rest of the game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
D+

I agree with the D+.

It looked much like Jimmy Raye until the end of the game.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Please. It was a C- at best. They only moved the ball during the first drive, and the last 2 drives that resulted in touchdowns, which I think had Alex making the calls.

I believe the niners didnt touch the red zone until the 4th quarter after comeback.

I dunno...it looked pretty good to me.

The Niners lost because Gore fumbled twice, Smith had a HUGE fumble for TD and 2 picks.

That sounds like the PLAYERS lost the game, not the playcaller.

Smith had over 300 yards and 3 TDS and got BOTH Crabtree and Davis over 100 yards and a TD. The stated goal for MJ was to get the ball to the playmakers. He has now TWICE done something that Raye NEVER DID ONCE....score a TD on the first drive of the game. Then he got Crabtree and Davis their best game of the season. Crabtree has beeen MUCH better in the past two weeks.

This team has ALOT of problems, but thusfar it appears that the OC isn't one of them.
C -, however this is an improvement. But - ignored Vernon Davis the entire first half, kept calling Gore up the middle when everyone in the stands much less the Eagles knew it was coming, still needs to call a broader variety of plays. After the first drive, no more TD until the end of the 4th quarter. We are not going to win many games with 7 or 10 points (plus garbage-time scores), particularly since we don't have a shut-down defense. It's all about scoring more points than the opponent, and MJ has to get us up from 7-10 to the 20-30 point range.

Originally posted by susweel:
D+

I agree with the D+.

TOTALLY disagree.

The playcaller doesn't fumble the ball on promising drives.

The Niners were moving the ball on every one of those drives where there was a turnover.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
D+

I agree with the D+.

TOTALLY disagree.

The Niners were moving the ball on every one of those drives where there was a turnover.

Andy Reid called a lot of runs also.

The players are hurting this team more than the coaches.
Too many Gore runs up the gut, which lead to...

too many 3rd and longs, which led to...

FINALLY calling more diverse plays and getting our pass catchers involved...

but too little, too late.

We've GOT to open it up SOONER rather than waiting until we are behind.
Originally posted by Joecool:
D+

I agree with the D+.

TOTALLY disagree.

Andy Reid called a lot of runs also.

The players are hurting this team more than the coaches.

I agree. I can see a big difference with MJ calling the plays. They are more aggressive. Yes, they still running the ball (as they should), but its not so predictable. They are also challenging down the field and getting more players involved.

Lost in all of this was that Crabtree looked pretty damned good last night. He was making people miss and making good catches.
D+

I agree with the D+.

TOTALLY disagree.

i definitely agree that execution is our biggest problem, or, at least, it appears to be. but i really wasn't impressed with the playcalling, especially considering that in two games we score early touchdowns and then go incredibly long periods without scoring again.
Share 49ersWebzone