There are 272 users in the forums

Serious question for LONGTIME 49ers fans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was born in 88 so I guess i've been a fan since around 1994ish but last night I've never really heard anything like that. The boo's were so loud friends were texting me saying they've never heard louder boo's.

I felt bad for Alex because everything not his fault. Sure he has a big mistake but so did the whole team. We can put this on alex all we want but I honestly think when he moves on to another team he will be solid.

The boo's were unbelievable though. So loud the commentators were even talking about how much negative attention was thrown smiths way.

But if we really think david carr is going to be better you obviously havent watched football in a while.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Was tonight the loudest booing that you have ever heard at Candlestick? I have been watching the 49ers since 1995, and I remember some loud boos that came out during the "Rattay Years", but I have never seen Candlestick boo someone as loud as they did Alex tonight.

its what happens when you have not made the playoffs in 7-8 years. People were excited for this season. Now they realize that it may take another 2 years to get back to our winning ways. I think I was one of them when I watched the game last night because the frustration in me has been building up for 7 years
I HATE MY LIFEEEEEEEEE
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Griz:
I have been watching the Niners play for 45 years and haven't missed any but a few. Because I had no way to watch them. It was the loudest booing that I can remember. Singletary needs to go! The Yorks need to hand it off to Mr. D Plain and simple.

One could only hope.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
And yeah...in 21 years of following the team, I have never heard the Stick like that.

And going after one player (who wasn't the only one screwing up) like that...didn't like it, I can understand the frustration, but at least point the finger when it belongs. (Singletary)

They should have been chanting something "Don't tell me, show me", but the proles probably shouldn't be expected have such wit.
been watching since 84-85 and never heard anything like that.
from home, i'm booing alex smith, mike singletary and the 49ers franchise as well.

For my two cents, I have zero problem with the booing. had I been there, I would have booed as well. The 49ers are a joke of a team, a joke of an organization and as fans being tortured by it, they have every right to boo what they are witnessing on the field. In a year where there were so many hopes and expectations and then to see it turn like this, you've got to be demoralized and dissapointed. To think that someone within this organization made a conscious decision to go with alex smith after years of horrendous 'he's not a nfl qb' play, i would have booed until the guy next to me went deaf.

i could care less about directing the boos at so and so and does that guy deserve all the blame/boos, for me, end of the day, i choose to see that as booing directed towards the franchise as a whole. I could care less what smith did after that, his play got us into that situation in the first place and to see the so-called coach not make the move proves everything i need to know about him as well. Carr is not a solution but what he would have shown is a team proving their current state is unnaceptable instead of just talking about it. But no, status quo prevailed and game ended how? this franchise needs to admit how bad of a franchise it is and start making the moves to change this culture around. Carr is not a nfl qb either but washing yourself of the smith mess is a bigger sign that you admit who he is and you are done with him. The search for a new qb must begin, look at the cards, undrafted rookie qb. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but they've begun the search at fixeing an identified weakness. laugh at that organization all you will, they are a better franchise today then we are.

i'm insulted by some of the threads and posts that would call the booing classless and such. I am booing this team, this organization, the absolute patheticness it truly takes to suck this bad for this many years in a row now. I do not accept that makes me any less of a fan. In my eyes, its makes me more of one. I'm not some dissilusioned sap buying the constant stream of excuses this franchise is sending out for the past decade. I still to this moment can not believe someone in this organization made a choice that this team is going to go with alex smith for yet another year. somebody actually thought that was a good, sound choice...unbelievable
Originally posted by ssahnan:
been watching since 84-85 and never heard anything like that.
from home, i'm booing alex smith, mike singletary and the 49ers franchise as well.

For my two cents, I have zero problem with the booing. had I been there, I would have booed as well. The 49ers are a joke of a team, a joke of an organization and as fans being tortured by it, they have every right to boo what they are witnessing on the field. In a year where there were so many hopes and expectations and then to see it turn like this, you've got to be demoralized and dissapointed. To think that someone within this organization made a conscious decision to go with alex smith after years of horrendous 'he's not a nfl qb' play, i would have booed until the guy next to me went deaf.

i could care less about directing the boos at so and so and does that guy deserve all the blame/boos, for me, end of the day, i choose to see that as booing directed towards the franchise as a whole. I could care less what smith did after that, his play got us into that situation in the first place and to see the so-called coach not make the move proves everything i need to know about him as well. Carr is not a solution but what he would have shown is a team proving their current state is unnaceptable instead of just talking about it. But no, status quo prevailed and game ended how? this franchise needs to admit how bad of a franchise it is and start making the moves to change this culture around. Carr is not a nfl qb either but washing yourself of the smith mess is a bigger sign that you admit who he is and you are done with him. The search for a new qb must begin, look at the cards, undrafted rookie qb. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but they've begun the search at fixeing an identified weakness. laugh at that organization all you will, they are a better franchise today then we are.

i'm insulted by some of the threads and posts that would call the booing classless and such. I am booing this team, this organization, the absolute patheticness it truly takes to suck this bad for this many years in a row now. I do not accept that makes me any less of a fan. In my eyes, its makes me more of one. I'm not some dissilusioned sap buying the constant stream of excuses this franchise is sending out for the past decade. I still to this moment can not believe someone in this organization made a choice that this team is going to go with alex smith for yet another year. somebody actually thought that was a good, sound choice...unbelievable

Yessir, majority is booing, so majority rules! lol

The booing was inevitable, and people who are saying it's "classless" are just way too sensitive. It's part of the game and if you put out a bad product you better expect bad feedback.
The Eagles game in 94 when they were spanking our SB team like 40-8 or something like that was pretty damn loud. With all the execution problems this team is having, you have to wonder how the staff is preparing them for games. I think we have the players to be winning, but the coaching seems suspect. The offensive line just looks terrible, even taking into account rookie mistakes. Turnovers are the mark of a young sloppy team, which is exactly what we look like. I have definitely seen worse niner teams as far as talent, but not since the Nolan years have I seen such poor execution. Whatever players we have, we have to put them in a position to succeed, that is just not happening with this coaching staff.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
The story of our season is "could of if.....". This team has talent. If we don't turn the ball over, I think we maybe beat the Saints, Falcons, and Philly by a couple TD's. We lost those games but despite the turnovers, we were still able to stay in it until that last second. This team just don't know how to do the extra things to WIN. Alex showed it on the last two drives but it just wasn't enough.

I'm a longtime niner fan since the 80's. And I can't even remember a time when the crowd boo'd anyone on the team. I felt bad for Alex. I for one defended him because of what he went through with 6 different coordinators. But the 6 different coordinators don't make the decisions on the field that he's suppose to make on his own. The fumble he had yesterday, that was just stupid on his part. The INT, was another when Davis was open underneath. I know we can't blame Smith for everything (Gore's 2 fumbles), but as a QB he has to make key decisions and he just doesn't excel in that department. Chances are he won't be around after the season, and I do wish him the best. He seems like a pretty nice guy off the field and at a character standpoint he'd be perfect for any team. Just unfortunate for him.

[ Edited by Baldie on Oct 11, 2010 at 08:06:03 ]
I don't blame the fans for booing at all. Hell if anything it helped the team out. Smith gets booed hard, nearly gets benched, then throws 2 clutch tds. Those two drives were the best I've seen from Smith.

This isn't a Smith support/hate thing but just showing that as fans it's our job to expect the best. When we don't get it we have to let players and coaches known. We let Alex know big time and the guy turned it around.

You can hate the guy all you want but that sht was insane. I thought he was going to have a melt down on the sideline. It was easily the llwest point of his career. He shut the fans up though.

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I don't blame the fans for booing at all. Hell if anything it helped the team out. Smith gets booed hard, nearly gets benched, then throws 2 clutch tds. Those two drives were the best I've seen from Smith.

This isn't a Smith support/hate thing but just showing that as fans it's our job to expect the best. When we don't get it we have to let players and coaches known. We let Alex know big time and the guy turned it around.

You can hate the guy all you want but that sht was insane. I thought he was going to have a melt down on the sideline. It was easily the llwest point of his career. He shut the fans up though.

The only thing he did that made me mad was the fumble, he shoulda thrown that one into the stands.
Originally posted by Lifer:
It's the most pathetic LOSING since the Joe Thomas years of the late 70's, so it probably deserves to be booed more loudly. But the thing that's changed is that in the late 70's the team didn't have that history of excellence that we have from the 80's. Fans in the 70's were beat down and tired. They didn't boo; they got up and went home. Fans today are (rightfully) angry because they expect so much more.

The history of this team hangs over it like a cloud. The performance on the field is an affront to the memory of Bill Walsh. I can almost feel Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and Ronnie Lott shaking their heads. "What have you done to our team?"

I agree,
I have been watching the 9ers as a fan since 1984 and this chapter is beyong words!!! The fans have every right to boo, hiss and jeer. The boo's were not just directed at Smith,they were directed at the whole organization. The older fans know what good football is and we also know what a level of competence looks like... I will not apologize for demanding the best possible product! Sing has already admitted to not actively trying to make our team better and Smith is a con man! Football is not a charity and fans pay good money to be ENTERTAINED and I am not feeling any level of ENTERTAINMENT during the Mike Nolan Alex Smith and now Mike Singletary fiasco! Pathetic Just Pathetic!!!

Dirty
  • dj43
Well, I go back to the Steve DeBerg years. At one point, he became known as the QB who played just well enough to lose. In truth, he played on some weak teams but put up some decent numbers. He had a very strong arm and as the game would come down to crucial moments where other things were failing, he would attempt to fit passes into places where there was just no space. The result was very frustrating interceptions. At those times the fans would boo, however those boos were nothing compared to last night.

In my opinion, last night was not about Alex Smith alone. Part of it was about Smith but the larger part was about fans who have lived with 8 years of mismanagement and poor coaching.

This franchise has always been about an entertaining offense based on passing. From Y. A. Tittle to John Brodie to Montana and Young, it was always about the forward pass. It wasn't that those years DIDN'T run the ball. They did, and often very well. However, the heart of the franchise was about passing.

Things changed drastically in the Donahue years beginning when Garcia was allowed to leave with no provision for a solid replacement. As foolish as that decision proved to be, the worst decision the franchise made as the 11th hour decision to hire a strongly defensive-minded coach in Mike Nolan. He proved he had no sense of offense and how to manage players. He was followed now by Mike Singletary who has proven to be as bad, if not worse in terms of his understanding of offense in the NFL in 2010.

The style of offense that Singletary has imposed is so odious to 49er fans, both young and older, that when it has failed, and it HAS FAILED, that they express themselves at the ball park. Fans are objecting not only to the failure to win games, but to the square peg style of offense that is being forced into the round hole that was cut by exciting, high-quality passing offenses.

Yes, Alex Smith is the most visible expression, but the booing went much deeper than that. Consciously or not, it was a message to Jed York that we are sick and tired of defensive-minded coaches who do not honor the tradition of San Francisco offenses that are well-thought out, carefully orchestrated and well-executed. It was a message that we are sick of a coach who was prematurely elevated to a position for which he clearly is not yet qualified to fill and who has proven it by responding in the only way he knows, by emotional outbursts.

The booing was about all of this and more...and yes, it was the loudest this ancient, archaic "stadium" has heard...which suggests another reason the fan base is upset but that is another topic for another time.
Originally posted by dj43:
Well, I go back to the Steve DeBerg years. At one point, he became known as the QB who played just well enough to lose. In truth, he played on some weak teams but put up some decent numbers. He had a very strong arm and as the game would come down to crucial moments where other things were failing, he would attempt to fit passes into places where there was just no space. The result was very frustrating interceptions. At those times the fans would boo, however those boos were nothing compared to last night.

In my opinion, last night was not about Alex Smith alone. Part of it was about Smith but the larger part was about fans who have lived with 8 years of mismanagement and poor coaching.

This franchise has always been about an entertaining offense based on passing. From Y. A. Tittle to John Brodie to Montana and Young, it was always about the forward pass. It wasn't that those years DIDN'T run the ball. They did, and often very well. However, the heart of the franchise was about passing.

Things changed drastically in the Donahue years beginning when Garcia was allowed to leave with no provision for a solid replacement. As foolish as that decision proved to be, the worst decision the franchise made as the 11th hour decision to hire a strongly defensive-minded coach in Mike Nolan. He proved he had no sense of offense and how to manage players. He was followed now by Mike Singletary who has proven to be as bad, if not worse in terms of his understanding of offense in the NFL in 2010.

The style of offense that Singletary has imposed is so odious to 49er fans, both young and older, that when it has failed, and it HAS FAILED, that they express themselves at the ball park. Fans are objecting not only to the failure to win games, but to the square peg style of offense that is being forced into the round hole that was cut by exciting, high-quality passing offenses.

Yes, Alex Smith is the most visible expression, but the booing went much deeper than that. Consciously or not, it was a message to Jed York that we are sick and tired of defensive-minded coaches who do not honor the tradition of San Francisco offenses that are well-thought out, carefully orchestrated and well-executed. It was a message that we are sick of a coach who was prematurely elevated to a position for which he clearly is not yet qualified to fill and who has proven it by responding in the only way he knows, by emotional outbursts.

The booing was about all of this and more...and yes, it was the loudest this ancient, archaic "stadium" has heard...which suggests another reason the fan base is upset but that is another topic for another time.

Well said
Originally posted by Califm5:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Boos were the loudest Ive heard, and they were completely justified.

The team hasnt been in the playoffs since 2002 (longest streak in NFC), is still clinging to Alex Smith despite his struggles, and the coaching staff is determined not to change course.

What else are fans supposed to do ? Put a smile on their face and hope for the best ?

Changes need to be made, and if the front office is too blind to see it, then they can HEAR it by listening to disgruntled fans showing their appreciation. Alex Smith has to go, and this "We want Carr" will be a redundant theme everytime he takes the field and miscues a pass. Sing and his staff need to be ousted.

Lions actually have a longer streak of missing of playoffs than 49ers, still very sad.
Share 49ersWebzone