LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 199 users in the forums

Sounds like this may be Smith's last opportunity.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Quote:
"I think right now with some of the issues that we have, we want to really make sure we focus on Alex Smith," Singletary said. "We want to exhaust all possibilities" with him.

I don't think those words of Singletary's will come as a surprise to anyone who follows the team, whether they are a Smith supporter or not. Singletary's words tell me Smith has to win this game or the next guy in line is going to get his shot. I hope for Smith's sake, as well as the team's, they go to the spread offense early and often. I think if we spread it out and try to move up and down the field in the fashion of most modern NFL offenses, Smith and the rest of the offense will tremendously benefit. Modern offenses move the ball through the air and by causing opposing defenses to commit penalties. Our biggest gain against the Falcons this past Sunday came on a PI call. Did our coaches go back to airing it out after that play? Of course they didn't...

Anyhow, if Smith doesn't get it done, I think our playoff hopes are not only shot for this season, but for many seasons to come. The Rams have built a strong foundation and Bradford looks like the future leader of the division. If we fall apart this year, in a year we were expected by nearly everyone to take the division, a massive rebuild project will be underway.

As for Smith having a great game this weekend, it seems daunting. The Eagles defense gave Smith fits last year and with the way he has played thus far, there isn't many encouraging signs that say he will fair any better this time around.

Originally posted by Smith's stats against Eagles in '09:
Dec 20 @ PHI L 13-27 42.3 20 37 177 4.8 22 3 1

Despite all the doom and gloom previously written, I still do feel like this is our season and I think we're going to defy the odds. Here is to Smith tossing three or more touchdowns and us wiping the Eagles out in The Stick!
If Smith does play the way you hope he will... all that really does is show more to his inconsitency. I want him to be a good QB, but there is far more evidence to the contrary. At some point, you just have to cut your losses.
All signs point to yes.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
If Smith does play the way you hope he will... all that really does is show more to his inconsitency. I want him to be a good QB, but there is far more evidence to the contrary. At some point, you just have to cut your losses.

This. 6 years of inconsistency. After 6 damn years the poor guy just wont get it. The reality of it though is Sing will go down with Alex because hes too proud to admit his own mistake rather than try to salvage the season with Troy or Nate ( Can they be any worse?)

Sings downfall will be himself and thats a sad reality

Some stars aren't born over night. Sometimes a switch just needs to go off. If Smith ends up leaving the 49ers, I won't be surprised if he becomes all-pro somewhere else.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Some stars aren't born over night. Sometimes a switch just needs to go off. If Smith ends up leaving the 49ers, I won't be surprised if he becomes all-pro somewhere else.

6 years..
Good post. I've been a Smith supporter from day 1 and I hope he pulls through. This is it! He keeps dissappointing. If he doesn't step up in every game not just a game here and there - we should punt [him]

There's an old expression: "You can't ride a dead horse." I'll add to that, "If the horse is dead - get off and get new one"
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I will be very surprised.

It seems Alex needs a play to go exactly as written for it to work. He doesn't have to ability to make things happen. He is a thinker, not a quick-thinker. He just doesn't have what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL. He lacks accuracy, vision, poise, and passion. He is an accountant moonlighting as a QB. He has shown flashes (read: inconsistent) of ok-to-good play. That just won't do it.

**No offense to any accountants. That is a respectable profession being used in a facetious manner to describe Smith's temperment and play.
shaun hill 97/161 for 991yards 60.2% 5td 7int 7sacks 70.2 rating
Alex Smith 93/151 for 920 61.6% 3td 7int 8sacks 66.1 rating

not that shaun is much better, but he is better. with two more touch downs we prolly have more wins.
just sayin.

alex is worse that shaun hill
who wasn't all that awesome to begin with.
moveon.org
lmao
Originally posted by Stopwatch:
shaun hill 97/161 for 991yards 60.2% 5td 7int 7sacks 70.2 rating
Alex Smith 93/151 for 920 61.6% 3td 7int 8sacks 66.1 rating

not that shaun is much better, but he is better. with two more touch downs we prolly have more wins.
just sayin.

alex is worse that shaun hill
who wasn't all that awesome to begin with.
moveon.org
lmao

Alex is bad
Hill is bad

Both 0-4 and top in NFL in picks with 60.0 ratings.
duh
Well the skins beat the Eagles with McNabb only completing 8 passes. They just ran the ball down there throats all day.
Share 49ersWebzone