LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

How Many Games MUST The Niners Win For Sing To Keep His Job?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How Many Games MUST The Niners Win For Sing To Keep His Job?

• kray28
  • Veteran
I'm guessing whatever it takes to win the division and make the playoffs. Which would be about 8-9 games.

Don't think it's going to happen though.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
At least 8, no worse than 7-9.
I'm guessing the first winning season we've had since Erickson was hired. He went .500 last year. If he can crawl out of this 3 game skid and pull of a winning season, I will tip my hat to him and I'm sure the rest of the zone will have forgotten about this horrible start.

The media will be on his nuts and raving about how he is a young inexperienced headcoach but learning on the job. If he pulls off 9-7 I for one will be willing to give him another shot, and see if he can take the off season to really get his clock management, game time adjustments, x and o's, game planning for other teams and really just overall football knowledge etc. in order. If he can shore up just some of those to where he is at least decent... and stop making those bonehead mistakes that come from not knowing diddly about the aforementioned subjects, than I think we will have a good coach for years to come. IF and only IF he can pull off a 9-7. If he can't... than OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Oh and he NEEDS to learn how to deal with the media, suppress his emotions, and stop flip flopping and throwing his players under the bus. AND he needs to learn how to take responsibility and admit when a LOSS lays squarely on his shoulders. Basically drop the Nolan act.

86'ing the stop watch would be nice too

So yea... that's what I think he needs to do to not only keep his job, but redeem his faith in the 49er fan base and local media that eat him alive so easily.

Anyone else notice in his interviews how he's always hella defensive right out the gate? That's just not good. Anywayz... yea. What i said.
[ Edited by zozell on Oct 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM ]
Playoffs or GTFO
I say 7. The only way Sing loses his job THIS season is if we posed ~4 wins.

Look how many years Nolan had left on his contract when he was fired.

Sing has 3 years left. If he couldn't turn it around next year (for the sake of the argument, since I expect he'll achieve at least 7 wins) then he WOULD be fired. Just not happening this year unless the team quits on him and I don't see that happening.

~Ceadder
I think it has to be 9 games. That's the first winning season in a long time and will almost certainly give us a playoff berth.
He has to make the playoffs and be 8-8 or better. If he goes 8-8 and doesn't make the playoffs, it's time to fire just about everyone and find a new HC, QB, and offense.

The team has to stop accepting mediocre as "good enough." Look at these records since the "golden era" of Norv Turner:
Nolan/Turner: 7-9
Nolan/Hostler: 5-11
N/Sing/Martz: 7-9
Sing/Raye: 8-8

Except for one hiccup, this team has hovered at, or just below, 500. Mediocre. What is important to remember is that the team's talent level has steadily gone up, yet the team's record hasn't gotten any better. No fan of this team should be satisfied with anything short of the playoffs. The rising talent level, yet stagnant sub-.500 results is easy to diagnose--it is a coaching failure--pure and simple. Usually, the GM that hired 2 straight failed HCs is fired. Unfortunately, we can't do that b/c the owner is the one that hired Nolan and Sing.
Enough to get into the playoffs.
if we don't win the division or at lest 10 games I say we bring Gruden or Harbaugh!!!

we have to make the playoffs, I think, given that that was the expectation. but i think if we win 9 and don't make the playoffs, he could keep his job. the point is progress, and a winning season, and a big turnaround from our terrible start, could do it.

i hope he legitimately does enough to keep his job, because i don't want to give up on this season, and i don't want it to be a lost season.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
.500 won't be enough to me, 9-7 and playoffs or he needs to be released.
Originally posted by mayo49:
At least 8, no worse than 7-9.

Cosigned.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I say 7. The only way Sing loses his job THIS season is if we posed ~4 wins.

Look how many years Nolan had left on his contract when he was fired.

Sing has 3 years left. If he couldn't turn it around next year (for the sake of the argument, since I expect he'll achieve at least 7 wins) then he WOULD be fired. Just not happening this year unless the team quits on him and I don't see that happening.

~Ceadder

I don't think young Jed(i) is going to give Dingleberry the kind of leash that John and Denise gave to NoWin.

Just a hunch -- of course. But if Eddie D. really does have the kid's ear -- then I think Dingleberry has to make a surprising playoff run to keep his job.
Hopefully it's 14. Awww sorry, coach...too late for you!
Share 49ersWebzone