LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Where is this season going?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well, we ARE in danger of being eliminated from the playoffs real early if we dont get a win on sunday, an 0-4 start would flatten us and put us in one hell of a hole
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Obviously the hope here is Mike Johnson provides the offensive spark needed to turn this thing around. I think history is against this happening, as I can't remember the last time an in-season coordinator change worked out. So most likely, Singletary ends up gone after the season.

If this happens I really think Brian Billick would be a excellent option to replace him.

Now hear me out. Many want Cowher or Gruden, but I think money (and Gruden's shortcomings) keep both from being our next HC.

Billick would inherit a roster very similar to the ones he had tremendous success with in Baltimore. He's got a ready-made defense that's perhaps a CB and pass-rusher away from greatness. Also, he has a young, talented o-line, solid RB depth, and some high-potential receivers to work with. Much of the coaching staff could potentially be kept on as well. I'd say OC, WR coach, QB coach, DB coach, and LB coach as well as Special Teams Coordinator would be the ones needing replacement.

Billick's one major downfall in Baltimore was that he struck out at QB after Dilfer began falling off. Kyle Boller was a bust and because of that mishap Billick was gone. We have 2 decent-potential QBs here in Troy Smith and Nate Davis. With them, a vet in Carr, and no doubt a 1st round QB coming in, things could turn around quickly. This team has the pieces in place for a rookie QB to come in and have early success. We just need the proper coaching and I believe Billick has the mind and experience to make it happen.

I always thought Billicks arrogance disguised his real situation in this league. When I look back at it, he ran into some excellent veteran QB's in his days with the Vikings and never did develop one of his own in Baltimore. On top of that he really lucked out when he inherited Chris Carter and then hit the jackpot again when a bunch of teams whiffed on Randy Moss in the 98 draft. Again, he couldn't get his own wide outs developed in Baltimore.

Don't get me wrong, the guy's a far better option than what we have now and is very nearly exactly what we're looking for, but I think this franchises fate hinges on our next HC's ability to call his own sh*t AND bring his own QB in to the situation...but mostly I just think Billick's a pompous prick and I don't like em lol!
[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Sep 29, 2010 at 7:13 AM ]
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Obviously the hope here is Mike Johnson provides the offensive spark needed to turn this thing around. I think history is against this happening, as I can't remember the last time an in-season coordinator change worked out. So most likely, Singletary ends up gone after the season.

If this happens I really think Brian Billick would be a excellent option to replace him.

Now hear me out. Many want Cowher or Gruden, but I think money (and Gruden's shortcomings) keep both from being our next HC.

Billick would inherit a roster very similar to the ones he had tremendous success with in Baltimore. He's got a ready-made defense that's perhaps a CB and pass-rusher away from greatness. Also, he has a young, talented o-line, solid RB depth, and some high-potential receivers to work with. Much of the coaching staff could potentially be kept on as well. I'd say OC, WR coach, QB coach, DB coach, and LB coach as well as Special Teams Coordinator would be the ones needing replacement.

Billick's one major downfall in Baltimore was that he struck out at QB after Dilfer began falling off. Kyle Boller was a bust and because of that mishap Billick was gone. We have 2 decent-potential QBs here in Troy Smith and Nate Davis. With them, a vet in Carr, and no doubt a 1st round QB coming in, things could turn around quickly. This team has the pieces in place for a rookie QB to come in and have early success. We just need the proper coaching and I believe Billick has the mind and experience to make it happen.

I always thought Billicks arrogance disguised his real situation in this league. When I look back at it, he ran into some excellent veteran QB's in his days with the Vikings and never did develop one of his own in Baltimore. On top of that he really lucked out when he inherited Chris Carter and then hit the jackpot again when a bunch of teams whiffed on Randy Moss in the 98 draft. Again, he couldn't get his own skill positions developed in Baltimore.

Don't get me wrong, the guy's a far better option than what we have now and is very nearly exactly what we're looking for, but I think this franchises fate hinges on our next HC's ability to call his own sh*t AND bring his own QB in to the situation...but mostly I just think Billick's a pompous prick and I don't like em lol!
I actually have been logging in to this sight for years, but never signed up until now and it is unfortunately out of disgust. Between listening to some of you on here and seeing some of our incredible personnel mistakes it has really been painful. Just about everyone on here was so against going for Mike Vick can't help but wonder if that is regretted now. Draftwise, I was sattisfied with our OL picks, but I think everyone new that we needed speed. We couldn't get Spiller or Best, but the next one we sure had a chance at, and that was McCluster. I like Dixon too but he is very much our same kind of back. Just had to mention those BIG errors and wonder if other fans thought of them too.
Originally posted by fly15:

Chris Heatherington getting abused
Originally posted by LivFreeOrdIHrd9r:
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
So in your world, there's no in between. Say where the Niners do not turn it around nor is it an absolute train wreck and they finish with a 6-10 or 7-9 season?

Thanks for the fantastic insight. Guaranteed to always hit me over the head with knowledge when I visit the boreds...I mean boards.

No there is not an in between because if we do not make the playoffs Sing will most likely be fired and that pretty much means we start rebuilding our coaching staff. We will most likely will try to keep the players we have that are good. So yes there is not an in between, not for me at least.

Moreover, historically there is no in-between. The 3 times in team history (since the 16 game schedule) that we started 0-4, we finished 2-14. So, our own past shows that if we don't turn it around quick, we are staring at a top 5 draft pick. (And pretty much garaunteed a new HC, coaching staff, QB and possibly GM.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Teams that start 0-3 almost never go on to the playoffs. That's a fact. If you're not good enough to squeek out one win in the first three games, you're not very good. Period. Statistically speaking, they're done. Stick a fork in 'em.

Of course there's always the razor thin hope that they'll be the one team in 100 that beats the odds, turns it around after an atrocious start, and ends up with a winning record. That's a little like filling an inside straight... it does happen from time to time, but the odds are overwhelmingly against it.

The reality is this: A team that fires their Offensive Coordinator after three games is a team headed nowhere. Mike Johnson is damage control, nothing more.

When a team has talent throughout the roster and they still can't win, the finger of blame points squarely at the coaching staff. It's now glaringly obvious that this team is getting out-coached on a fairly regular basis. The Chiefs actually went after the 9ers coaching staff in this last game. Running their punting unit on and off the field, forcing the 9ers to burn timeouts; knowing that they're easily flummoxed and can be knocked off their game. Onside kicks, trick plays... They saw a weakness in the 49ers preparation and game management, and they attacked it.

When Singletary was hired, the #1 question was whether or not a guy with no previous head coaching experience at any level could succeed as a head coach in the NFL. I think the answer is clearly no. In the NFL, the head coach's job is closer to being a CEO than a middle linebacker. Singletary is out of his depth and no amount of hard work, faith, and determination is going to change that fact. I have a ton of respect for Mike Singletary, but he's not an NFL head coach. Let him go coach at the college level where building character and preparing young men for the rest of their lives is the top priority. He'd be really good at that.

So what comes next? We'll beat up on a few weak teams and maybe get a moral victory here or there. This team always seems to play well once the games don't matter, so we might even finish 8-8. But the worst thing that could happen would be to stick with Singletary and "give it one more year." We need to start over in 2011. The big question is whether the Yorks have learned anything from their mistakes.

The rebuilding that started in 2005 with Nolan, McCloughan, and Alex Smith is over. We've acquired a lot of talent and we're in a much better place, but the key pieces - HC and QB - have flopped and we need to begin again. A number of quality coaches will be available next year. Will the Yorks have the stones to hire a top notch guy and give him control? The 2011 draft will be deep at QB. Will they have the vision to go after a legitimate franchise QB?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I just looked at the schedule and I'll be optimistic and guess....

The Niners will be 7-9 this season.

I hope that will be bad enough to get a new coach!!! However, I would guess the Yorks don't want to pay Singletary 2 more years after getting fired.

Even if we make the playoffs this year, Singletary still needs to go. He just isn't a capable NFL coach. I think if we had competent coaching, we would have been the division winner in 2007, 2008, 2009 and this year.
This team is so screwy I don't think anyone can predict how it will unfold.

But my expectations for this season is that the Niners will let the division slip away (to either Hawks or Cards) in the first half of the season, then go on a meaningless win streak in the end which will give enough momentum for Alex Smith to be once again the starter for 2011. lmao

lawda'mercy!
Originally posted by verb1der:
This team is so screwy I don't think anyone can predict how it will unfold.

But my expectations for this season is that the Niners will let the division slip away (to either Hawks or Cards) in the first half of the season, then go on a meaningless win streak in the end which will give enough momentum for Alex Smith to be once again the starter for 2011. lmao

lawda'mercy!

That would bring Alex and Sing back and provide great value for they Yorks... LOL it seems to be our pattern. 2 - 14 would clean house. But 7 - 9 with some late meaningless wins would give us "hope for the future." That seems to be our pattern.
It seems to me even bad teams have some excelling players show up in games but I see few niners show up as if stunted by the coaching staff. I do not see the talent lacking though it appears that way. I see the team just totally turned off by the incompetence of Singletary. He is much like Joe xzpltk, that guy who used to be the source of bad luck. The fact he creates it does not matter, Singletary would best be removed at once if the team is not to be degraded further. I am not sure Jed has the intelligence or wisdom to do that. He seems singularly insipid and more like his dad every day. I know I am very tired of Singletary's blowhard act and his inability to be much more then a brainless mouth. I can imagine how the players feel. What team feels pride and eagerness when afflicted by people like Jed and Singletary? At most apathy and let me go elsewhere attitude would prevail. If Johnson is truly a good coach and demonstrates that, the niners should cut Singletary ASAP to limit the damage he could inflict upon a promising coach.
What is really sad is you can't go into any game feeling certain that we should win it , not with this team or coaching staff so far. I can easily see us going 7-9 or worse if things aren't changed and improved very fast. Still hoping for a turn around.

GO 49ERS
Share 49ersWebzone