There are 231 users in the forums

Reasons to be optimistic, despite being 0-3. (At least I hope so.)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes, the media is down on our team (then again, when aren't they?). But why are you, if you're a fan? As fans, we should want to see our team do well, regardless of the situation! We should want to believe that they can turn it around. We should want to remember that less than a month ago we understood that they were a young, up and coming, talented football team. How did we know this? Well, we've been watching them play for the last few years and we've been watching them progress and we witnessed them barely get edged out of the playoffs last year, mostly by their own doing.

Here's a quick reminder that I think many people have forgotten. A football schedule consists of 16 games that are played over the course of 17 weeks. In any given football season, many teams will go on three or more game winning streaks, three or more game losing streaks, etc. Some teams that start off 2-0 fall far from making the playoffs, some that start 0-2 do make the playoffs. Heck, some teams that start 0-3 even make the playoffs.

Look at how we've arrived at 0-3.

Week 1 - A disappointing loss due to BEATING OURSELVES at the loudest stadium in the league.
Week 2- A disappointing loss to the defending world champs after turing the ball over four times in addition to snapping the ball through the back of the endzone.
Week 3 - A bad game, by and large, against what might be an underrated opponent.

Combined, we've lost to three teams that are 7-2 and would be 8-1 if Hartley had made his chipshot last week. In other words, we've been beaten by decent teams, or in venues that are hard to win in.

On the bright side, we have 13 games left to play, and the middle of our schedule is very soft and could present an opportunity for the 49ers to go on the longest winning streak they've been on in recent memory.

I know it is hard to imagine being 0-3, but I'd like for everyone to remember that we are indeed a talented football team and we proved last year that we could compete with the very best talent. Hell, we proved last Monday night that we could compete with the very best talent.

As fans, we need to quit being so up and down. It isn't go for us or our organization. All we can do is hope for the best and cheer our guys along. If our coaches can get their acts together, we can start thumping teams the way we thought we were going to heading into the season.

Through the first three weeks, we saw a boring offensinve attack, lead by a man who we knew was more than capable of leading a boring and unimaginative attack. But he is gone now. And in his place is the younger, unproven, but 2-0 as an OC, Mike Johnson.

We very well could see a new football team on offense come Week 4, or Week 5. Don't forget we have talents in Gore, Davis, Westbrook, Morgan, Walker, Smith, Dixon, Zeigler and Crabtree (and yes he deserves to be last on the list).

I'll close with this: We are a talented football team! We are the most talented football team in our division! We have 13 weeks left to prove it! If you want to jump off the bus, go for it. But do us all a favor who are sick and tired of reading the same negative posts from the same posters throughout the entire day, and jump off of the message board as well.

If we can go 8-5 or better, and finish at 8-8, the division is likely ours. If you've looked at our schedule and you don't think that is attainable, I'm amazed you've had strong enough faith in this team to hang on the bus for this long.

THE SEASON IS NOT OVER! THIS IS STILL OUR YEAR!
[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Sep 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM ]
Like I said, I'll drink a little more kool-aid...I'm just going to stop talking trash to my Raider co-workers. lol
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Yes, the media is down on our team (then again, when aren't they?). But why are you, if you're a fan? As fans, we should want to see our team do well, regardless of the situation! We should want to believe that they can turn it around. We should want to remember that less than a month ago we understood that they were a young, up and coming, talented football team. How did we know this? Well, we've been watching them play for the last few years and we've been watching them progress and we witnessed them barely get edged out of the playoffs last year, mostly by their own doing.

Here's a quick reminder that I think many people have forgotten. A football schedule consists of 16 games that are played over the course of 17 weeks. In any given football season, many teams will go on three or more game winning streaks, three or more game losing streaks, etc. Some teams that start off 2-0 fall far from making the playoffs, some that start 0-2 do make the playoffs. Heck, some teams that start 0-3 even make the playoffs.

Week 1 - A disappointing loss due to BEATING OURSELVES at the loudest stadium in the league.
Week 2- A disappointing loss to the defending world champs after turing the ball over four times in addition to snapping the ball through the back of the endzone.
Week 3 - A bad game, by and large, against what might be an underrated opponent.

Combined, we've lost to three teams that are 7-2 and would be 8-1 if Hartley had made his chipshot last week. In other words, we've been beaten by decent teams, or in venues that are hard to win in.

On the bright side, we have 13 games left to play, and the middle of our schedule is very soft and could present an opportunity for the 49ers to go on the longest winning streak they've been on in recent memory.

I know it is hard to imagine being 0-3, but I'd like for everyone to remember that we are indeed a talented football team and we proved last year that we could compete with the very best talent. Hell, we proved last Monday night that we could compete with the very best talent.

As fans, we need to quit being so up and down. It isn't go for us or our organization. All we can do is hope for the best and cheer our guys along. If our coaches can get their acts together, we can start thumping teams the way we thought we were going to heading into the season.

Through the first three weeks, we saw a boring offensinve attack, lead by a man who we knew was more than capable of leading a boring and unimaginative attack. But he is gone now. And in his place is the younger, unproven, but 2-0 as an OC, Mike Johnson.

We very well could see a new football team on offense come Week 4, or Week 5. Don't forget we have talents in Gore, Davis, Westbrook, Morgan, Walker, Smith, Dixon, Zeigler and Crabtree (and yes he deserves to be last on the list).

I'll close with this: We are a talented football team! We are the most talented football team in our division! We have 13 weeks left to prove it! If you want to jump off the bus, go for it. But do us all a favor who are sick and tired of reading the same negative posts from the same posters throughout the entire day, and jump off of the message board as well.

If we can go 8-5 or better, and finish at 8-8, the division is likely ours. If you've looked at our schedule and you don't think that is attainable, I'm amazed you've had strong enough faith in this team to hang on the bus for this long.

Are you on druuuggs???
There are reasons to be optimistic, but they have nothing to do with this season.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Are you on druuuggs???

As it happens, I like being on drugs.
I'll agree that it's a talented team. Now it's up to the team leaders (Willis, Davis, Heitmann, Gore, Smith) and the coaches to turn it around and start winning games.

I have a lot of hope that Mike Johnson opens the offense up in a big way.

And in the end, the only thing that counts is the number of W's you have at the end of the season.
Originally posted by Yetiman:
I'll agree that it's a talented team. Now it's up to the team leaders (Willis, Davis, Heitmann, Gore, Smith) and the coaches to turn it around and start winning games.

And in the end, the only thing that counts is the number of W's you have at the end of the season.

If we start sending our receivers down the field instead of across the field, I think we'll see a tremendous improvement.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
Like I said, I'll drink a little more kool-aid...I'm just going to stop talking trash to my Raider co-workers. lol

I hear ya....I wanna be optimistic now the Jimmy is gone, but MJ is still an unknown. On paper, his style was MADE for this group of players. But this situation mirrors the Jim Hostler BS all over again.
I agree. IT might not be looking good right now, but Seasons turn around all the time. It is too early to declare anything at this point. We are talented, and maybe a fresh take on the offense will be just what is needed. Also an infusion of Youth can't hurt at key defensive positions. Realistically the Niners need to win their next two games to really have a chance at anything as far as post season. It is sad what a decade of losing has done to this fan base. The first sign of trouble and 65% of them jump ship.
[ Edited by dtcomposer on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM ]
i have an idea. Go do what you do best. GO KILL MORE TROUT and stay off the crack pipe

So who cares if we take our losses early..

13-3 baby!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
So who cares if we take our losses early..

13-3 baby!
I've had enough -- thank you.

Originally posted by Yetiman:

Perfectly put.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by verb1der:

I hear ya....I wanna be optimistic now the Jimmy is gone, but MJ is still an unknown. On paper, his style was MADE for this group of players. But this situation mirrors the Jim Hostler BS all over again.

yup, he could either be a big improvement or a total bust like hostler. But then again hostler did not have the players on his side. Mike Johnson is well received by all our players. He is a creative guy who takes shots and is aggressive. That is the complete and total opposite of Jim Hostler. Still we have to see how he does in a game before we can really see what he is all about. It may even take til' after the Eagles game for him to really show what he is all about. It's playoffs or bust!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone