There are 266 users in the forums

The NFL's # 1 Defense Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
NCommand--agree and hope that the DLine can get to Manning early. He is not the same QB (who is except Smith) when hit a couple of times. That does require slowing down the running game and short routes. He will likely complete some long passes and that's OK because he usually make a couple of long ball mistakes when he's in bomber mode.

The match up I am looking forward to the most is in the running game. Willis and Bowman getting to their enormous backs will be key. They weren't 100% last game (Bradshaw wasn't playing?) so it might be a bigger task.
I loved the red zone defense yesterday. Against a high powered offense, I was confident that they would be coming up with 3s or turnovers!
bree's got a good chunk of his yards on two missed tackles

DO NOT MISS TACKLES
Originally posted by NCommand:
OK fans, lets talk defense. I've got a couple concerns for this upcoming Giants game...which is going to be a old-school Giants @ Niner's-type game. Will Montana/Rice/LT be in attendance?

lol Hide yo kids, hide yo wife!!

Needless to say we've been giving up HUGE yards in the passing game over the past month+ now; of corse part of that is b/c teams don't even bother to run on us anymore. Teams have been scoring more in the RZ as well and have added a few rushing TD's.

One thing I have noted ALL year and it showed up again against the Saints...rewatch the game...when our LB/S's and CB's come up to the LOS and play physical, aggressive bump/shove guys, we are VERY effective. When receivers (RB/WR/TE's) are allowed to come off the LOS clean, we get destroyed esp. with RAC. The pressure is getting there even with four guys (A.Smith - 15 sacks, J.Smith - 8.5 sacks, A.Brooks - 8 and off the charts in TFL and pressures/QB hits). You wonder why we have had so many missed tackles? It's b/c our safeties are playing 30 yards deep and the receivers are allowed to come free off the LOS and Goldson/Whitner are late running towards the receiver and are juked with RAC.

Another thing I have noticed about our matchups...essentially Colston is their best (only) WR and with only 3/4 rushers, why was he not double-covered all game? Why was Willis covering Graham all game and not Goldson? Why wasn't Willis matched up on Sproles all game. Fangio seems so focused on exotic "coverage schemes" that he isn't, IMHO, playing to our strengths.

The thing that worries me about the Giants is the size of their receivers and size of our DB's. If you watched Brees, almost all of his passes were very high where only his guys could get the ball (and they did).

Giants/Niner games have ALWAYS been VERY physical games. This should be no different but Fangio can't sit back this game and give easy catches playing deep all game and allow free releases. With the rain and wet field and not a ton of speed (but lots of size), he needs to play our secondary tight and physical up and the LOS and get to Eli like we did earlier in the year with 3/4 guys and bring some exotic blitzes right up Baas' ass an get in Eli's face! He will make mistakes. But he'll also make some unbelievably accurate passes. Go Niners!

I think the biggest thing is who makes the biggest mistakes, who forces the turnovers. Whoever comes out on top there will be the winner. The Packers made a LOT of mistakes against the Giants, I don't think the 49ers will.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
OK fans, lets talk defense. I've got a couple concerns for this upcoming Giants game...which is going to be a old-school Giants @ Niner's-type game. Will Montana/Rice/LT be in attendance?

lol Hide yo kids, hide yo wife!!

LOL...Totally!
The Saints Had Jimmy Graham

The Giants Have Bear Pascoe

Big Difference, especially because Graham got those 2 TDs
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
The Saints Had Jimmy Graham

The Giants Have Bear Pascoe

Big Difference, especially because Graham got those 2 TDs

well to be fair, they have Jake Ballard. But yes i agree, Graham is a much more potent weapon.
greatest D ever. no homer.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
bree's got a good chunk of his yards on two missed tackles

DO NOT MISS TACKLES

#31 should've made the tackle on both of those too. Our safeties are great at laying the BOOM, but when they whiff, it's usually for a TD.
Did anyone see the hit that Donte Whitner put on Henderson after T.Brown intercepted the football? Savage!!!

Needless to say we've been giving up HUGE yards in the passing game over the past month+ now; of corse part of that is b/c teams don't even bother to run on us anymore. Teams have been scoring more in the RZ as well and have added a few rushing TD's.

One thing I have noted ALL year and it showed up again against the Saints...rewatch the game...when our LB/S's and CB's come up to the LOS and play physical, aggressive bump/shove guys, we are VERY effective. When receivers (RB/WR/TE's) are allowed to come off the LOS clean, we get destroyed esp. with RAC. The pressure is getting there even with four guys (A.Smith - 15 sacks, J.Smith - 8.5 sacks, A.Brooks - 8 and off the charts in TFL and pressures/QB hits). You wonder why we have had so many missed tackles? It's b/c our safeties are playing 30 yards deep and the receivers are allowed to come free off the LOS and Goldson/Whitner are late running towards the receiver and are juked with RAC.

Another thing I have noticed about our matchups...essentially Colston is their best (only) WR and with only 3/4 rushers, why was he not double-covered all game? Why was Willis covering Graham all game and not Goldson? Why wasn't Willis matched up on Sproles all game. Fangio seems so focused on exotic "coverage schemes" that he isn't, IMHO, playing to our strengths.

The thing that worries me about the Giants is the size of their receivers and size of our DB's. If you watched Brees, almost all of his passes were very high where only his guys could get the ball (and they did).

Giants/Niner games have ALWAYS been VERY physical games. This should be no different but Fangio can't sit back this game and give easy catches playing deep all game and allow free releases. With the rain and wet field and not a ton of speed (but lots of size), he needs to play our secondary tight and physical up and the LOS and get to Eli like we did earlier in the year with 3/4 guys and bring some exotic blitzes right up Baas' ass an get in Eli's face! He will make mistakes. But he'll also make some unbelievably accurate passes. Go Niners!

You do realize that keeping the safety's back was part of the game plan right? It kept brees from hitting his trgets quickly. They were able to force the Oline work even harder to protect Drew. I saw a couple times where Drew was going threw his complete progression 2x and still not find an open man. Everyone is talking the front 4 of NY. but ours is way better.
Nap time

I dislike the Bowman cuz he has soft the tackle! He is making me to bored!! ... Donte Whitner is very well but he did hit hard that knock to thomas!! Well good job!
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
Nap time

Originally posted by jreff22:

The goats with black fur seem to be immune to Jedi mind tricks.
Share 49ersWebzone