There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The NFL's # 1 Defense Thread

Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Hugh Douglas is just given us the craziest love on the Vanpelt show, ESPN. He is basically saying we should be licking our chops for Greenbay or NO. He makes a very convincing case.

He also said he called Niners PR guy Monday night and asked for a signed Aldon Smith jersey to put on his wall with Bruce Smith and Howe Long....

He thinks GB will have no answers for Justin and Aldon with the banged up line. Also mentioned that their D is weak, so we should be able to score running the rock or controling the clock.

He would be suprised to see us in the SB.
Do you mean he wouldn't be surprised?

If our D can corral the long passing plays and our O can continue to improve our red zone efficiency then we have a very good chance to go deep into the playoffs

would not.
Hugh Douglas is just given us the craziest love on the Vanpelt show, ESPN. He is basically saying we should be licking our chops for Greenbay or NO. He makes a very convincing case.

He also said he called Niners PR guy Monday night and asked for a signed Aldon Smith jersey to put on his wall with Bruce Smith and Howe Long....

He thinks GB will have no answers for Justin and Aldon with the banged up line. Also mentioned that their D is weak, so we should be able to score running the rock or controling the clock.

If our D can corral the long passing plays and our O can continue to improve our red zone efficiency then we have a very good chance to go deep into the playoffs

If our defense plays like they on Monday and tighten up the missed tackles...WOA! Offense will have trouble this week. We play like sheeeeit in the noise. Unless Alex can Channel 06? Alex like he did that one year to beat Seattle.
Originally posted by King49er:
Quick question.. We all do realize just how amazing of a D this is right? And that it has the potential to steal us some big games in the playoffs and get that trophy, and this is a serious reality.

Opposing teams are averaging 70 yards rushing per game against us(1001 total), that's 20 yards less than the 2nd place team, and NOT ONE TEAM has scored a rushing TD on us(NFL record) and we've played 14 out of 16 games!! THIS IS REMARKABLE!!!!!!!!!!

We are the ONLY team that has yet to allow 200 points this year(185) 13.2 per game, that's unheard of these days. We're 5th in yards allowed , tied for 3rd in Int's(18), #1 in fumble recoveries, #2 in total takeaways. We've only given up 18 TD's as a team and every single one of them have been passing TD's, no rushing TD's, nothing on ST and 0 pick six's from our QB and zero fumble's recovered for TD's.

4 games we didn't even give up a TD and in another 4 games, only 1 TD was scored(one those games was 1 of our 3 losses).

The is remarkable people, I don't know what other stats to pull out here, but we've got a Championship D here , not to mention the best Special Teams unit in the NFL, not to mention an O that controls the clock and just doesn't turn the ball over, ever.

I like where this is going with 2 games remaining and the playoffs on the horizon.

***QUICK EDIT****- Patrick Willis was absent for pretty much three of those games, and we also have recorded 1 shutout and 2 games where we only allowed 1 single FG.

What 's amazing is the team has struggled on offense converting 3rd downs and TD in the red zone. But we are still winning. And we can see the offense is improving on MNF against one of the very best defense in the league. This team is very close to hitting all phases. As you mentioned defense and special team are there. We are very close to getting it to playoff/SB caliber offense. This team already knows how to win football games by not beating themselves evident by the numbers you've listed. The next step is to take advantage of the opportunities during the game and score more TDs instead of field goals. And keep drive alive by converting those 3rd downs. They have been dominant during their games, dictating the tempo. This team is very close to being dominant on the score board.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by King49er:
Quick question.. We all do realize just how amazing of a D this is right? And that it has the potential to steal us some big games in the playoffs and get that trophy, and this is a serious reality.

Opposing teams are averaging 70 yards rushing per game against us(1001 total), that's 20 yards less than the 2nd place team, and NOT ONE TEAM has scored a rushing TD on us(NFL record) and we've played 14 out of 16 games!! THIS IS REMARKABLE!!!!!!!!!!

We are the ONLY team that has yet to allow 200 points this year(185) 13.2 per game, that's unheard of these days. We're 5th in yards allowed , tied for 3rd in Int's(18), #1 in fumble recoveries, #2 in total takeaways. We've only given up 18 TD's as a team and every single one of them have been passing TD's, no rushing TD's, nothing on ST and 0 pick six's from our QB and zero fumble's recovered for TD's.

4 games we didn't even give up a TD and in another 4 games, only 1 TD was scored(one those games was 1 of our 3 losses).

The is remarkable people, I don't know what other stats to pull out here, but we've got a Championship D here , not to mention the best Special Teams unit in the NFL, not to mention an O that controls the clock and just doesn't turn the ball over, ever.

I like where this is going with 2 games remaining and the playoffs on the horizon.

***QUICK EDIT****- Patrick Willis was absent for pretty much three of those games, and we also have recorded 1 shutout and 2 games where we only allowed 1 single FG.

What 's amazing is the team has struggled on offense converting 3rd downs and TD in the red zone. But we are still winning. And we can see the offense is improving on MNF against one of the very best defense in the league. This team is very close to hitting all phases. As you mentioned defense and special team are there. We are very close to getting it to playoff/SB caliber offense. This team already knows how to win football games by not beating themselves evident by the numbers you've listed. The next step is to take advantage of the opportunities during the game and score more TDs instead of field goals. And keep drive alive by converting those 3rd downs. They have been dominant during their games, dictating the tempo. This team is very close to being dominant on the score board.

I think Aldon Smith has caught fire, and I think we're going to ride his pass rush through the playoffs and teams like NO and GB won't know what hit them.
[ Edited by King49er on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM ]

would not.

i heard that interview this morning and i thought it ws interesting the way he put our play was like... "playing with house money..." but definitely showing the love for our team. A former Eagle no-less!
One thing i can say about our Defense is that when they are out there-- i have no fear, almost feel confident that we are going to make some sort of game changing play... bring on Seattle!
Our defense is great!
Bumped for Global Nomad
Grant was playing out of his mind the last couple of weeks. P Willis may have possessed Grant's soul from the sideline.
Originally posted by fister30:
Grant was playing out of his mind the last couple of weeks. P Willis may have possessed Grant's soul from the sideline.

Actually Willis said he watches Grant on every snap so tat he can give him advice when he returns to the sideline. Pure class!
Welcome back Larry Grant. He's good in coverage. He's a keeper. Should never have let him go in the first place. Backup to Willis next year but meanwhile put him on special team.
Solid solid play. While Haralson is a very good run defender he can be exploited on the edges like we've seen over the years. He doesn't get the push up the field Brooks gets. Looks like he didn't have containment on the TD AND took out Grant (still should have wrapped up though) and I believe it was Rogers who was also slow getting over there. It happens BUT congrats to the #1 defense in the NFL and on various historical records. Fantastic that this is only their 1st year under VF and while missing so many games with Willis out. True TEAM DEFENSE.

On the downside, I have noticed more and more how slow Goldson is; he is very slow sideline to sideline, providing help over the top and is now hesitating before squaring up (and getting beat). There was an article about how Goldson may be the weak link of this defense and that may be the case. He is fantastic playing down hill and in the box but VF doesn't ever blitz him and he's clearly, always looking for the big hit but doesn't always wrap up or takes poor angles. He does have good instincts though as evidenced by his INT's but we may need more speed next year and range. He also has to play 30 yards back against speedy WR's b/c he can get beat over the top. Anyone else have concerns here? A good team passing team can exploit this...
Originally posted by English:
Bumped for Global Nomad

thank you!
I'm very happy with the way Brooks contract year is going. He's playing very well, but doesn't have big sack numbers (The Smiths always beat him to the ball). This should land him a decent contract with the Niners, but nothing that will break the bank. I dont see another team paying him huge money since rushing the passer isn't his primary strength. Worst case scenerio, we draft a rookie and rotate him with Haralson, I guess. However, I would prefer to keep Brooks on the pay roll.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 26, 2011 at 9:31 AM ]
If we have to travel to Lambeau in the playoffs we are going to get SMOKED.

Then again if anyone knows how to stop the WCO it might as well be Harbaugh.

Here's hoping Patrick Willis cements his legacy in this year's playoffs with a resounding performance that will be talked about for years to come.
I'm very happy with the way Brooks contract year is going. He's playing very well, but doesn't have big sack numbers (The Smiths always beat him to the ball). This should land him a decent contract with the Niners, but nothing that will break the bank. I dont see another team paying him huge money since rushing the passer isn't his primary strength. Worst case scenerio, we draft a rookie and rotate him with Haralson, I guess. However, I would prefer to keep Brooks on the pay roll.

I agree. 2nd on the team in sacks BUT our sacks are spread out and most of his were important the first half of the season; now Aldon is coming on the second half. He's easily our best OLB against the run and 1st in the team for TFL. No way Lynch breaks that run outside on his side. No way. He and Justin Smith are also #1 in reps with over 700+ this year alone. So, if we can sign him LT, he'll be able to prepare better in the offseason and sustain his stamina all year. Plus, if we get another good pass rusher, we can rotate him with Brooks/Smith and keep both fresh all year. He wants to be here and the team has already extended him an offer. He's a critical piece to our #1 defense and the coaches know this. I'm very proud of this defense...