There are 243 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn's new column

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by area49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
"The Prince finally needs to get it right. If he does, good for him. If he can't get it right, he will have to fire Singletary and get a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterback, and then start all over again from the beginning. If it comes to that, he and Dad should just sell the team."

I am confused on what exactly he means by "getting it right"? Does he mean if Johnson works out, which had nothing to do with him? Or is he suggesting that Sing would be fired and hire a legitimate coach if the Niners fall hard?

Johnson is Sing's last ditch effort, and could make or break his job. This is similar to how Smith is going to make or break our season.

I agree with the hiring of Sing, as it seemed he was just given the job following half of 2008. We should have at least waited and seen what would come available. You guys all talk like "selling" the team is the answer.

My fears would be moving the team or even selling to a worse owner than we currently have. Trust me, there are worst owners than the Yorks...

There are no owners worse than the Yorks, and moving the team would be nothing short of a blessing.

Seriously, dude, thanks. At least SOMEONE agrees with me. I really think that, if Ed Roski or Larry Ellison just moved this team to LA, it would be able to thrive and have a new identity. Everytime I suggest it here,all I get is "f**k LA".

and that's exactly what you deserved.

How, exactly, did I deserve it?
Originally posted by backontop:
"The Prince finally needs to get it right. If he does, good for him. If he can't get it right, he will have to fire Singletary and get a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterback, and then start all over again from the beginning. If it comes to that, he and Dad should just sell the team."

I am confused on what exactly he means by "getting it right"? Does he mean if Johnson works out, which had nothing to do with him? Or is he suggesting that Sing would be fired and hire a legitimate coach if the Niners fall hard?

Johnson is Sing's last ditch effort, and could make or break his job. This is similar to how Smith is going to make or break our season.

I agree with the hiring of Sing, as it seemed he was just given the job following half of 2008. We should have at least waited and seen what would come available. You guys all talk like "selling" the team is the answer.

My fears would be moving the team or even selling to a worse owner than we currently have. Trust me, there are worst owners than the Yorks...

There are no owners worse than the Yorks, and moving the team would be nothing short of a blessing.

Seriously, dude, thanks. At least SOMEONE agrees with me. I really think that, if Ed Roski or Larry Ellison just moved this team to LA, it would be able to thrive and have a new identity. Everytime I suggest it here, all I get is "f**k LA".

F**K LA!!!

Wow. What a thoughtful and eloquent rebuttal.

It's not a matter of location. We just have absolutely stupid ownership. It doesn't matter what location you put them in.
Originally posted by Otter:
Agreed that York hired Singletary too quickly. In retrospect it was a terrible decision. However, Singletary was the type of person needed at the time. Nolan had, at least from many reports, lost the locker room. Singletary was a HOF player and someone the players could respect. He brought credibility to the coaching position from that standpoint, he was someone that used to be in their shoes.

It's clear now that he is in over his head and needs to go, but I understand the decision to a degree. I sure would have liked to have Shanahan though.

Good point, I think in any other organization Sing would have not have been promoted to HC but would have stayed at least throughout the search for HC in 2009. Just winning a few meaningless games at the end of the season does not turn your resume into HC material. Sing has value but was set up to fail once again by the blundering Yorks. Now we have the latest person on a long list of people learning on the job.

Seriously, dude, thanks. At least SOMEONE agrees with me. I really think that, if Ed Roski or Larry Ellison just moved this team to LA, it would be able to thrive and have a new identity. Everytime I suggest it here, all I get is "f**k LA".

F**K LA!!!

It's not a matter of location. We just have absolutely stupid ownership. It doesn't matter what location you put them in.

Well then they should sell to Ed Roski or Larry Ellison.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Seriously, dude, thanks. At least SOMEONE agrees with me. I really think that, if Ed Roski or Larry Ellison just moved this team to LA, it would be able to thrive and have a new identity. Everytime I suggest it here,all I get is "f**k LA".

Because you made a stupid suggestion.

I've given multiple explanations as to why I think it's a good idea. How is it a stupid suggestion? That's like saying it's stupid to amputate a gangrenous leg.

F**K LA!!!

Well then they should sell to Ed Roski or Larry Ellison.

Yes they should. Those are winners in life.

F**K LA!!!

poor suggestions get poor responses.

Agreed, but the Bay Area has a ton of potential buyers that would, in my opinion, be committed to winning. There's something about inheriting a team, a fortune, a business, whatever, where the person that inherits it typically squanders the inheritance because it wasn't built by him in the first place and thus he has no appreciation for its value. Versus, someone making a committed decision to spend over a billion dollars to buy a team.
I don't think it was a bad decision to hire Singletary... everything pointed to that as being a good decision. Singletary is great at some things, its true, but he just doesn't have the marbles to succeed on the same level as a Belicheck (sp?).

• Hopper
  • Veteran

I've given multiple explanations as to why I think it's a good idea. How is it a stupid suggestion? That's like saying it's stupid to amputate a gangrenous leg.

Apparently you missed a few months ago that the SC voters approved Measure J. Any of your multiple explanations are irrelevant.

F**K LA!!!

The problem is that the NFL is floundering in Jacksonville and Buffalo (and not doing very well in Oakland). The NFL will not be excited about allowing an owner to move the 49ers to LA when there are 2-3 teams with a deplorable fan base that are stronger candidates for relocation. The NFL rules changed after the Cleveland franchise was moved to Baltimore so a new owner could not unilaterally make that call. Plus with our without the consent of the NFL, any team moving to LA would be subject to Al Davis' territorial claims, which is one of the main reasons the NFL has not already moved a team to LA. The others being: LA is not a cure for a tepid fan base and the only venue in LA suitable for playing is the Coliseum, which the NFL views as a short term venue only. Any move to LA would thus be contingent ona pre-approved stadium deal, which might happen in Orange County, but not LA. Besides, now that it is all but a given that a stadium will be built in Santa Clara, I find it doubtful that a new owner would move to LA.

F**K LA!!!

Again, how is it a poor suggestion when I've laid out various reasons why I think it would be a good idea?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

F**K LA!!!

Again, how is it a poor suggestion when I've laid out various reasons why I think it would be a good idea?

F**K LA!!!

Are you really asking that??

For starters because the team isn't moving to LA. Just because you live close to LA doesn't make it a good idea to move the team down there. Second there is going to be a stadium built in Santa Clara (remember the big vote that happened??) And lastly because F**K LA!!!
Share 49ersWebzone