There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lowell Cohn's new column

Originally posted by area49:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
"The Prince finally needs to get it right. If he does, good for him. If he can't get it right, he will have to fire Singletary and get a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterback, and then start all over again from the beginning. If it comes to that, he and Dad should just sell the team."

I am confused on what exactly he means by "getting it right"? Does he mean if Johnson works out, which had nothing to do with him? Or is he suggesting that Sing would be fired and hire a legitimate coach if the Niners fall hard?

Johnson is Sing's last ditch effort, and could make or break his job. This is similar to how Smith is going to make or break our season.

I agree with the hiring of Sing, as it seemed he was just given the job following half of 2008. We should have at least waited and seen what would come available. You guys all talk like "selling" the team is the answer.

My fears would be moving the team or even selling to a worse owner than we currently have. Trust me, there are worst owners than the Yorks...

There are no owners worse than the Yorks, and moving the team would be nothing short of a blessing.

Please explain how moving the team would help in any way?
Once again this old goat is on point.
"The Prince finally needs to get it right. If he does, good for him. If he can't get it right, he will have to fire Singletary and get a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterback, and then start all over again from the beginning. If it comes to that, he and Dad should just sell the team."

I am confused on what exactly he means by "getting it right"? Does he mean if Johnson works out, which had nothing to do with him? Or is he suggesting that Sing would be fired and hire a legitimate coach if the Niners fall hard?

yeah, that makes no sense. Cohn's article is kind like Singletary's coaching: it seems like he knows what he's talking about, but he ultimately has no point.

He may be right that Jed rushed into hiring Singletary. But hindsight is 20/20, and, at, the time, most fans were very supportive and excited by the move because we had gone 5-3 in the second half and looked like a completely different team. Shanahan took a year off coaching and Gruden STILL hasn't returned to coaching, and seems in no hurry to do so, so I'm not sure how those guys "availability" make the Singletary hire a premature failure.

No one knew that Sing would hire Raye and that Raye would be a failure. And after an up-and-down season last year, who thought that we would come out and be this disorganized still? Who knew that we were this disorganized at all?

and is anyone unhappy with there being "no GM"? I think Baalke ran a great draft.

Anyway, I'm not saying Cohn is wrong in that some of our failure, especially our complete inexperience, is the fault of the Yorks. I'm just saying that he's not advocating anything or breaking any news here. He's just positioning himself as someone who "saw this coming all along" and I have a hard time taking such a self-serving bashing of the team seriously.
Eddie D failed in his first hires as GM and coach. Then when he chose Walsh, there was a lot of consternation: Walsh was an old - almost lifer - assistant who had been passed over by the team he had served loyally for years, a quality team with a track record of success, and yet it worked because he had a vision and a burning desire for greatness. It worked for Eddie D too, because he had those same qualities, AND HE LEARNED FROM HIS MISTAKES.

Jump forward to today: I won't crucify Jed for his Dad's mistakes, and we can't say yet whether Jed has learned from his own mistakes. But we're going to find out shortly.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Summary:

The Niners downfall begins with the Yorks, and has been carried out by their heir, Jed York the Prince. Jed rushed into hiring Singletary, when Gruden and Shanahan would be available shortly thereafter. Also, he feels Nolan was a better coach than Sing, because at least Nolan helped with game planning defense, while Sing plays zero part in game planning anything. Sing hired Raye because he said the right things, and the story continuines with yet another unqualified person taking on an important role (first Jed, then Sing, then Raye). Now, we are in a sitution where another unknown person, Mike Johnson, becomes the most important coach in the 49ers. If he succeeds, Sing stays, if he fails, Sing gets fired at year end.

Nice story, and I agree.

Your translation, without all of Cohn's hyperbole and bulls**t, is much better.
Originally posted by area49:

Johnson is Sing's last ditch effort, and could make or break his job. This is similar to how Smith is going to make or break our season.

I agree with the hiring of Sing, as it seemed he was just given the job following half of 2008. We should have at least waited and seen what would come available. You guys all talk like "selling" the team is the answer.

My fears would be moving the team or even selling to a worse owner than we currently have. Trust me, there are worst owners than the Yorks...

There are no owners worse than the Yorks, and moving the team would be nothing short of a blessing.

Let me get this straight. You would like the 49ers to move? You would like the only original SF professional sports franchise to leave the Bay Area? I have a better idea. Why don't you move?
Originally posted by HessianDud:

yeah, that makes no sense. Cohn's article is kind like Singletary's coaching: it seems like he knows what he's talking about, but he ultimately has no point.

He may be right that Jed rushed into hiring Singletary. But hindsight is 20/20, and, at, the time, most fans were very supportive and excited by the move because we had gone 5-3 in the second half and looked like a completely different team. Shanahan took a year off coaching and Gruden STILL hasn't returned to coaching, and seems in no hurry to do so, so I'm not sure how those guys "availability" make the Singletary hire a premature failure.

No one knew that Sing would hire Raye and that Raye would be a failure. And after an up-and-down season last year, who thought that we would come out and be this disorganized still? Who knew that we were this disorganized at all?

and is anyone unhappy with there being "no GM"? I think Baalke ran a great draft.

Anyway, I'm not saying Cohn is wrong in that some of our failure, especially our complete inexperience, is the fault of the Yorks. I'm just saying that he's not advocating anything or breaking any news here. He's just positioning himself as someone who "saw this coming all along" and I have a hard time taking such a self-serving bashing of the team seriously.

Bingo. Classic Cohn. Douchebag.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

I'm uphappy there is no GM. I want a qualified football GM. Someone who can play architect. A man with an overall vision and plan for the team. Then he can hire the coach to help execute the plan, and draft players that fit the desired system.
Originally posted by bret:
Eddie D failed in his first hires as GM and coach. Then when he chose Walsh, there was a lot of consternation: Walsh was an old - almost lifer - assistant who had been passed over by the team he had served loyally for years, a quality team with a track record of success, and yet it worked because he had a vision and a burning desire for greatness. It worked for Eddie D too, because he had those same qualities, AND HE LEARNED FROM HIS MISTAKES.

Jump forward to today: I won't crucify Jed for his Dad's mistakes, and we can't say yet whether Jed has learned from his own mistakes. But we're going to find out shortly.

this.

however, as many people know, he is playing owner when really his parents write the checks. so they still have some say, if they wanted.

as for the whole, coulda-woulda-shoulda. there is no guarantee that shanny or even gruden would have wanted to coach here. that is all speculation. we needed stability when nolan was fired, so we got sing. however, we should have been a bit more patient and waited for other coaches to become available. i understand the immediate hire. MANY of us here were stoked when he got the job permanently. i just fear that it gets worse.

what about giving baalke more pull/say and have him make decisions as the year goes on?
I’ll sy this at the risk of being labeled a York supporter, but… Has everybody forgot about the salary cap hell we were in when the Yorks took over?
yorks will never sell this team
Come guys I've only herd negative talk comming from suppose to be niner fans when we almost beat tha saints it was all glory (coach sing) got praised for one wk now it's bash the whole organization (where is the loyalty) I'm from Charlotte nc been a fan for25yrs let not shoot them yet (coach sing may not be the best coach yet but he's smart by firing raye and getting youth ) surround yourself with knowledge and make your job easy which sing is doing GO NINERS
Originally posted by Otter:

I'm uphappy there is no GM. I want a qualified football GM. Someone who can play architect. A man with an overall vision and plan for the team. Then he can hire the coach to help execute the plan, and draft players that fit the desired system.

I hadn't thought about it like that, that's a great point. I wonder if Baalke could be that guy, if they gave him the title? I only wonder because, while I'd like an experienced football guy, great GM's don't grow on trees and sometimes you might have to grow your own.

IDK. It also seems to me, given the McCloughan debacle and timing of it, that it might have been wise to hold of appointing a GM until after THIS season. There wasn't really time before the draft to do a search or anything, and it seems that right after the season there would be more people available to do a real search.
I didn't think Singletary was a bad hire at the time given the circumstances. Hindsight is always 20/20.

The only one to blame for Mike Singletary's stubborn brand of incompetence is Mike Singletary.
I agree with parts of his column but parts of his column I disagree with. Singletary was just as qualified as anyone else. There have been other coaches such as Herm Edwards, who were not coordinators before becoming a head coach and his teams were in the playoffs at both places he coached. The Yorks were a problem but the problem some fans just can't see is that the problems come back to the players. Either you are a pro or not. I don't know of a team that has allowed a qb to start and not know how he's going to play going into his sixth year. Bills cut Edwards, Cards cut Leinart, Raiders cut Russell, Ravens cut Boller. Other organizations move on from players if said player does not pan out regardless of the position. It's not just Smith, but it took such a long time to let Kwame Harris go. The 49ers hang on to guys that need to be let go. Fans mention Gruden, well Gruden would not hang on to Alex Smith. Gruden was hard on qb's. Again, it's not just the qb but every player that plays substandard it seems like the 49ers hang on to him until it just hurts. Poor Alex was trying to get the receiver to adjust and the guy just stood there and I watch Peyton Manning throw to slow-footed guy like Austin Collie for over 100 yards. My point is that if you have been around for 4 years and you haven't got the job done then you need to be cut period regardless of the position. You have to have the talent and that talent must play smart. A new coach might work because he would bring in new players to fit his ways.