There are 178 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lowell Cohn's new column

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100927/NEWS/100929505/1057/SPORTS0908?p=all&tc=pgall
I agree with everything he says.
Ugh I hate the fact that he's actually got a point.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 26,710
Summary:

The Niners downfall begins with the Yorks, and has been carried out by their heir, Jed York the Prince. Jed rushed into hiring Singletary, when Gruden and Shanahan would be available shortly thereafter. Also, he feels Nolan was a better coach than Sing, because at least Nolan helped with game planning defense, while Sing plays zero part in game planning anything. Sing hired Raye because he said the right things, and the story continuines with yet another unqualified person taking on an important role (first Jed, then Sing, then Raye). Now, we are in a sitution where another unknown person, Mike Johnson, becomes the most important coach in the 49ers. If he succeeds, Sing stays, if he fails, Sing gets fired at year end.


Nice story, and I agree.
"The Prince finally needs to get it right. If he does, good for him. If he can't get it right, he will have to fire Singletary and get a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterback, and then start all over again from the beginning. If it comes to that, he and Dad should just sell the team."

I am confused on what exactly he means by "getting it right"? Does he mean if Johnson works out, which had nothing to do with him? Or is he suggesting that Sing would be fired and hire a legitimate coach if the Niners fall hard?

Johnson is Sing's last ditch effort, and could make or break his job. This is similar to how Smith is going to make or break our season.

I agree with the hiring of Sing, as it seemed he was just given the job following half of 2008. We should have at least waited and seen what would come available. You guys all talk like "selling" the team is the answer.

My fears would be moving the team or even selling to a worse owner than we currently have. Trust me, there are worst owners than the Yorks...
The truth hurts!
Originally posted by Shaj:
Summary:

The Niners downfall begins with the Yorks, and has been carried out by their heir, Jed York the Prince. Jed rushed into hiring Singletary, when Gruden and Shanahan would be available shortly thereafter. Also, he feels Nolan was a better coach than Sing, because at least Nolan helped with game planning defense, while Sing plays zero part in game planning anything. Sing hired Raye because he said the right things, and the story continuines with yet another unqualified person taking on an important role (first Jed, then Sing, then Raye). Now, we are in a sitution where another unknown person, Mike Johnson, becomes the most important coach in the 49ers. If he succeeds, Sing stays, if he fails, Sing gets fired at year end.


Nice story, and I agree.


wish we could've had Gruden
Originally posted by SJniner7:
"The Prince finally needs to get it right. If he does, good for him. If he can't get it right, he will have to fire Singletary and get a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterback, and then start all over again from the beginning. If it comes to that, he and Dad should just sell the team."

I am confused on what exactly he means by "getting it right"? Does he mean if Johnson works out, which had nothing to do with him? Or is he suggesting that Sing would be fired and hire a legitimate coach if the Niners fall hard?

Johnson is Sing's last ditch effort, and could make or break his job. This is similar to how Smith is going to make or break our season.

I agree with the hiring of Sing, as it seemed he was just given the job following half of 2008. We should have at least waited and seen what would come available. You guys all talk like "selling" the team is the answer.

My fears would be moving the team or even selling to a worse owner than we currently have. Trust me, there are worst owners than the Yorks...

There are no owners worse than the Yorks, and moving the team would be nothing short of a blessing.
I sure hope The Prince is mature enough to see the error of his ways--if he is full of the stubborn pride of his father, we are in trouble!
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,483
Originally posted by pickle:
I sure hope The Prince is mature enough to see the error of his ways--if he is full of the stubborn pride of his father, we are in trouble!

He already took ONE step toward righting the ship...
Originally posted by area49:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
"The Prince finally needs to get it right. If he does, good for him. If he can't get it right, he will have to fire Singletary and get a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterback, and then start all over again from the beginning. If it comes to that, he and Dad should just sell the team."

I am confused on what exactly he means by "getting it right"? Does he mean if Johnson works out, which had nothing to do with him? Or is he suggesting that Sing would be fired and hire a legitimate coach if the Niners fall hard?

Johnson is Sing's last ditch effort, and could make or break his job. This is similar to how Smith is going to make or break our season.

I agree with the hiring of Sing, as it seemed he was just given the job following half of 2008. We should have at least waited and seen what would come available. You guys all talk like "selling" the team is the answer.

My fears would be moving the team or even selling to a worse owner than we currently have. Trust me, there are worst owners than the Yorks...

There are no owners worse than the Yorks, and moving the team would be nothing short of a blessing.

What? There is always worse. But if you consider SF/area losing the team to be a blessing, then I have nothing further to say to you.
Originally posted by 190836:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100927/NEWS/100929505/1057/SPORTS0908?p=all&tc=pgall
I agree with everything he says.

I TOTALLY disagree. The FACT of the matter is this: Eddie D. got ousted as our owner, we hired T. Donahue, fired Mooch and we took Alex Smith as our #1 draft pick. Hindsight being 20-20 if we have a better QB we are a much better team. Not to bash Alex but those are the facts.
One thing you gotta admit about Cohn, like Howard Cosell, he's not afraid to tell it like it is. In this instance, I happen to agree with him. After this though, I suspect he's going to be persona non grata around the 9'ers.
Originally posted by area49:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
"The Prince finally needs to get it right. If he does, good for him. If he can't get it right, he will have to fire Singletary and get a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterback, and then start all over again from the beginning. If it comes to that, he and Dad should just sell the team."

I am confused on what exactly he means by "getting it right"? Does he mean if Johnson works out, which had nothing to do with him? Or is he suggesting that Sing would be fired and hire a legitimate coach if the Niners fall hard?

Johnson is Sing's last ditch effort, and could make or break his job. This is similar to how Smith is going to make or break our season.

I agree with the hiring of Sing, as it seemed he was just given the job following half of 2008. We should have at least waited and seen what would come available. You guys all talk like "selling" the team is the answer.

My fears would be moving the team or even selling to a worse owner than we currently have. Trust me, there are worst owners than the Yorks...

There are no owners worse than the Yorks, and moving the team would be nothing short of a blessing.

GTFO

[ Edited by CrankDatCrabtree on Sep 28, 2010 at 9:05 AM ]
  • Otter
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,936
Agreed that York hired Singletary too quickly. In retrospect it was a terrible decision. However, Singletary was the type of person needed at the time. Nolan had, at least from many reports, lost the locker room. Singletary was a HOF player and someone the players could respect. He brought credibility to the coaching position from that standpoint, he was someone that used to be in their shoes.

It's clear now that he is in over his head and needs to go, but I understand the decision to a degree. I sure would have liked to have Shanahan though.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
The truth hurts!