There are 154 users in the forums

Crabtree drops a ton of passes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Atl49er:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I went to the game yesterday...

Crabtree is not the problem. Alex has no faith in himself to throw 10+ yd routes. They were plenty of times where Crabs, VD, Morgan, Delanie, and Ziegler were one-on-one with their defenders and Alex choose to check down to Gore.

Unless the receiver has three steps on a defender, Alex will not even attempt to make a throw. Even KC fans were wondering why he doesn't even try.

KC's defense pretty much dared Alex to beat them by making the 49ers one-dimensional.

All Alex can do is throw the flats and the 5 yd out routes.

He stopped throwing those passes when playes like Crabs get beat to the ball by a db or stops on a route or he bats the ball in the air, etc. There is now fight from crabs for any ball where there is a hint of coverage. And you'd be the first to bash Smith if he thew it more into coverage and got picked. So lets be consistant, pick your poison, and then we can talk.

OMG!!! Most of you people on here don't have a Freaking clue!!! I swear we must have been watching a different team over the past 6 years! I am not an Alex Smith hater, I have wanted more than anything for him to become the QB we drafted him to be. BUT it is CLEAR he is a PUSSSY....this has nothing to do with Crab, or any other WR playing on this team. Alex Smith is the only common denominator of this team horrible offensive showings over the past 6 years. Yeah, Jimmy Raye wasn't the most imaginable play caller but I'm damn sure he actually designed some plays to exceed 15 yards while targeting a Wr in the process.

Please...Please...can anybody in this Organization wake up and realize what every one else in the league already knows?!?!? Smith aka Capt Checkdown is too mentally fragile to ever be a starting Qb in the NFL!!

Notice you didn't refute anything I wrote just repeat what haters always say "he's a p***y".

You try standing in there and taking it from a 300 lb tackle every time you drop back and then pull yourself back up and go at it again. Give me a break!

Crabtree is not the problem. Alex has no faith in himself to throw 10+ yd routes. They were plenty of times where Crabs, VD, Morgan, Delanie, and Ziegler were one-on-one with their defenders and Alex choose to check down to Gore.

Unless the receiver has three steps on a defender, Alex will not even attempt to make a throw. Even KC fans were wondering why he doesn't even try.

KC's defense pretty much dared Alex to beat them by making the 49ers one-dimensional.

He stopped throwing those passes when playes like Crabs get beat to the ball by a db or stops on a route or he bats the ball in the air, etc. There is now fight from crabs for any ball where there is a hint of coverage. And you'd be the first to bash Smith if he thew it more into coverage and got picked. So lets be consistant, pick your poison, and then we can talk.

OMG!!! Most of you people on here don't have a Freaking clue!!! I swear we must have been watching a different team over the past 6 years! I am not an Alex Smith hater, I have wanted more than anything for him to become the QB we drafted him to be. BUT it is CLEAR he is a PUSSSY....this has nothing to do with Crab, or any other WR playing on this team. Alex Smith is the only common denominator of this team horrible offensive showings over the past 6 years. Yeah, Jimmy Raye wasn't the most imaginable play caller but I'm damn sure he actually designed some plays to exceed 15 yards while targeting a Wr in the process.

Please...Please...can anybody in this Organization wake up and realize what every one else in the league already knows?!?!? Smith aka Capt Checkdown is too mentally fragile to ever be a starting Qb in the NFL!!

Notice you didn't refute anything I wrote just repeat what haters always say "he's a p***y".

You try standing in there and taking it from a 300 lb tackle every time you drop back and then pull yourself back up and go at it again. Give me a break!

Dude...It's called Football! It's a collisions sport, you're going to get hit regardless if you throw down the field or to the running back and TE all game!

I challenge you to go back and watch the game, count the number of pass plays where the commentator says...." Another short pass". It's absolutely ridiculous....he has thrown a total of 3 passes beyond 20 yards down field all season! Hell...put Nate in....he may not know all the plays but at least he has the balls to try!
  • dj43

Dude...It's called Football! It's a collisions sport, you're going to get hit regardless if you throw down the field or to the running back and TE all game!

I challenge you to go back and watch the game, count the number of pass plays where the commentator says...." Another short pass". It's absolutely ridiculous....he has thrown a total of 3 passes beyond 20 yards down field all season! Hell...put Nate in....he may not know all the plays but at least he has the balls to try!
but when you hear the commentators say that, can you look down the field to see if someone is open?

It is well documented that Raye spent all season working with Smith to get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds. There was never any focus on "keeping the play alive" so receivers could get open. Smith was not allowed to do that.

Go look at any NO games and see how many times Drew Brees keeps the play alive by rolling around in the pocket or moving out. He commonly gives his receivers 4+ seconds to get separation. Smith was instructed to do the opposite.

Back to Crabtree, he never seemed to recognize what to do when his QB was in trouble. Instead of working back and getting open, he often gave up on the route.

With Johnson, I am hoping Crabtree will see some hope to be the kind of playmaker a #10 overall should be, and begin doing the work to prove it.
Originally posted by dj43:

but when you hear the commentators say that, can you look down the field to see if someone is open?

It is well documented that Raye spent all season working with Smith to get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds. There was never any focus on "keeping the play alive" so receivers could get open. Smith was not allowed to do that.

Go look at any NO games and see how many times Drew Brees keeps the play alive by rolling around in the pocket or moving out. He commonly gives his receivers 4+ seconds to get separation. Smith was instructed to do the opposite.

Back to Crabtree, he never seemed to recognize what to do when his QB was in trouble. Instead of working back and getting open, he often gave up on the route.

With Johnson, I am hoping Crabtree will see some hope to be the kind of playmaker a #10 overall should be, and begin doing the work to prove it.

So, u're actually saying a starting Qb in the NFL must be taught to keep a play alive?!?! WOW.....Whatever happen to making a play? I agree, he is def no Brees!

U're making all these excuses for Smith when Crab hasn't even played a full year in this league yet. Crab, always went back to the Qb to get the ball in college. I have the suspicion that Crab and many other players on the team are convinced that they CANNOT win "Capt. Roll to Right, Throw it out bounds, or Check it down Smith"!!
For those of you suggesting that the problem is not Raye, but rather A. Smith, then I ask why is it that Raye was fired rather than Smith being benched?
Crabs needs smith to throw the ball at 20 yards, no more of this run five yards and stop, then try to catch the ball with two defenders in your face
Originally posted by excelsior:
For those of you suggesting that the problem is not Raye, but rather A. Smith, then I ask why is it that Raye was fired rather than Smith being benched?

I'm not suggesting that Raye was a great play caller. He deserves to be replaced but so does Smith. What has he ever done to garner the support he has on here? Please explain it to me bc I'm still waiting to be convinced!
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by zozell:
No lock here. It's a legitimate statement. I agree. Vet approved thread

He's unprepared. So I agree it is indeed a logical question.

He looks good on artifical turf cause he CAN'T slip. Looks like an average Receiver on grass. And for the most part out of the last 3 games has been detrimentally unprepared. Every INT Smith has came off a Pass to Tree. If this was Smith it would be more spread around. Instead Tree has Passes thrown in his direction and ends up laying on the ground more than missing catchable Passes.

I said this before I'm saying it again. He needs his ass to be sat on the bench and let Ziggy start in his place.

I don't buy into the "Diva" argument. Even Divas prepare. As much as I hate T.O. even he prepared for games. His issues are all mental. Trees are just straight up laziness. He should also look into getting another pair of cleats. A pair that has interchangeable cleats woulld be best. If he doesn't feel comfortable of his footing in the 1st series then he should change them to the longer ones. ESPECIALLY when he plays on OUR field. Our field is known for having issues regarding traction even on a clear day.

~Ceadder

A couple of mistakes here. Smith threw a pick intended to Gore. 4/5 went Crabtree's way.

The slant against New Orleans is no way Crabtree's fault. Tipped ball at the line. No chance in Hell Crabtree could have done anything to save that pick.

Okay forgot about the Pass to Gore. I'll give you that one.

HOWEVER...

If you think that a Route that was Tree was supposed to cut off on the break was supposed to go to the Sidelines, when EVERY Analyst and Announcer agreed it was a blown play due to being unprepared, you're just looking for fodder to blame Smith.

Tree is unprepared. You CANNOT leave your QB hung out to dry by you not being prepared.

At the NFL level the QB has to trust that you will run the correct route. Why? Cause he has to be able to throw before your break. Did you not listen to the announcers pointing out that our Pick was because Cassel held the ball just a millisecond too long? Allowing Goldson to jump the route and take the Reception. Receivers are supposed to catch Passes they don't know are going to be there. It's called PREPARATION and Tree just doesn't do this. When he turns around he's surprised by the fact that the ball is there. He did this last Season when he had a blatant Pass thrown to him and he DUCKED ala Brandon Frigging Lloyd.

He's relying on his talent to pull his ass out of hot water. When instead he should be preparing himself and hitting the Juggs after Practice with Vernon.

When he does that, I'll give him credit. When he does that and we have an INT Issue worth talking about I'll be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. When he does that I'd also be more inclined to find fault with the QB.

The Pass to Gore not withstanding all other Picks have come from Passes intended for Tree. He's fallen down on 3 of them and 2 of them he was unprepared. Your QB has to be able to rely on you. If he can't then you have no business being on the field.

This is Football 101. You learn it from the time you're first strapping on the Pads at every level. I learned this when I played and if you played you learned it too. If you didn't learn it then you missed some practices. Cause this sh@t is drilled into you from day one.

~Ceadder

I think we're talking about different plays here. I'm talking about a slant pass that Alex threw that got tipped at the line of scrimmage and deflected right into Tracy Porter's hands. Under no circumstance can you blame Crabtree there, and it really wasn't even Alex's fault. Occasionally balls get batted on the line and bad things happen.

As for watching the game. Look I live in Toledo and have to catch all games at a bar. I don't get any sound to the game.

And yes Alex is to blame here as well. You can say Crabtree was slow out of his break all you want (Seattle game), but that pass he threw was high and Crabtree had little to no chance at catching it. You want to talk football 101. You throw a high pass requiring a leaping catch when a receiver is making a break what are the odds of a completion? Slim to nil. The receiver doesn't have a chance to react that quickly. He throws an accurate football there and it's completely different story.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:25 PM ]
  • dj43

So, u're actually saying a starting Qb in the NFL must be taught to keep a play alive?!?! WOW.....Whatever happen to making a play? I agree, he is def no Brees!

U're making all these excuses for Smith when Crab hasn't even played a full year in this league yet. Crab, always went back to the Qb to get the ball in college. I have the suspicion that Crab and many other players on the team are convinced that they CANNOT win "Capt. Roll to Right, Throw it out bounds, or Check it down Smith"!!
Have you not read or heard of the numerous quotes of Smith being instructed by Raye to get rid of the ball in 3 seconds? He has been coached NOT to keep the play alive. He has been coached to check down in 2.8 seconds rather than take a sack or a chance of an interception downfield.

Have you not seen the multiple replays of Crabtree stopping on the slant route that resulted in a pick?

Or stopping yesterday instead of shielding the defender and making the catch?

Or turning outside instead of inside according to the read?

These are all well documented criticisms of Crabtree that are germane to this specific thread. If you don't like Smith, that I fine. I am not overly enamored with his play so far either but this thread is about what Crabtree has been doing. In thise case, he has cost the team three interceptions that any big-time college receiver should not allow. All three of the plays I mentioned are things a good college receiver should do.
With a legit QB this guy would be a stud. My .02.

Don't frame it as a either/or. It's all a matter of timing. Raye first, then Smith, then Simpletary.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

Cause Alex is still developing......

but he's next

Obviously you havnt been here long....

It was WELL documented like he said that Smith was IN FACT taught to get it out in 3 secs. They were using a damn stop watch, its no excuse. Maybe you should read before you post so you dont look like a fool...food for thought
Do not try to convince me that Alex is bad because he throws high passes. I have watched alot of NFL football and I have never seen a QB, no matter how good,, who doesn't throw their share of high passes. But the issue is rarely raised because his recievers make the catch and because the team wins - that's the differnece here.

I am still not sure how good Alex can be if he is surrounded by at least average, competant OC, OL and WRs. The one game where everything seemed to be good (NO) he seemed to do well. Lets have a few more games where the game plan is creative and unpredictable, where the OL blocks, where the WRs run the right routes and catch the damn ball. Then we can make a better decision.

I am sorry you guys are so pissed and want to make a change now, but your history is that you wanted Rattay, JTO, Hill, etc. How did that turn out for you? So why should we feel that Carr or Davis will magically turn into great QBs? You sadly misunderstand how difficult it is to successfully play QB in the NFL.
Tree will be find I'm honestly not worried.
Share 49ersWebzone