There are 125 users in the forums

What is happening to our D?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For the past 2 years many people have overrated our D. There decent but nothing great this is what I had expected from them. If the O would score it wouldn't seem as bad
Originally posted by znk916:
2 things mainly

demoralized by the offense
cant stop the screen

That's been my take. I personally think that they couldn't stand Raye and his vanilla playcalling. So far it seems they've given Smith a pass, but that won't last if the offense doesn't pick up its game.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
2 things mainly

cant stop the screen

That's been my take. I personally think that they couldn't stand Raye and his vanilla playcalling. So far it seems they've given Smith a pass, but that won't last if the offense doesn't pick up its game.

TOTAL B.S. I have been hearing this garbage for years now...the defense stinks b/c they have no faith in the offense and the offense puts them in bad situations. Interesting, b/c the Steelers have won three straight games WITHOUT their starting Superbowl winning QB and by dominating with their defense. Period. It's a terrible excuse.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM ]
WE are still getting exposed to the same s**t that got us last year, and it has nothing to do with the offense.

WE CONTINUE TO GET BEAT DEEP, AND NO CONSISTENT PASS RUSH...PERIOD

What good is stopping the run, if thats all you can stop, and after yesterday, we couldnt even stop high school plays. That had nothing to do with the offense.

Since we are focusing on the D. i'll say this, we wont be great, until like a person at an AA meeting, you recognize that in some areas we arent as good as we THINK we are.

I'll say this, the O definitely have their problems, but u know what I like the type of D, that the Jets, and the Ravens have.

Willis is supposed to be our Ray, and what does Ray say, regardless of what we know we can impose our will on anyone. Never get too tired, play with the fire, from the minute there is kickoff, and when they lose, who do u hear speak. R.Lewis.

Jets have Rivas island. Why is it that when our D falters, it's the O did this, on the field too long, blah blah blah.

We make excuses for our D, when if anything they still have the same problems we been talking about for the past few years. Some of ya'll just been so focused on issues with the O, that some fail to see the reality of the problems we have on D as well.

When our D, can shut down teams like the Jets and Ravens, then i'll say we have a top D. Right now we have an OK/good defense in my opinion. Far from great and a step below pretty good.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
2 things mainly

cant stop the screen

TOTAL B.S. I have been hearing this garbage for years now...the defense stinks b/c they have no faith in the offense and the offense puts them in bad situations. Interesting, b/c the Steelers have won three straight games WITHOUT their starting Superbowl winning QB and by dominating with their defense. Period. It's a terrible excuse.

It seems clear that they voted with their feet. The 9er offense is horrible by design and so it seem pointless to them.

Totally different situation than when the players have faith that the coaches are doing all they can with the talent available.
We are tied for dead last with the Bills in points allowed per game.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Tried...
JasonLaCanfora

In addition to coaching shake-up in San Fran, I hear veterans Michael Lewis and Takeo Spikes being benched on defense. Big change for 49ers
Originally posted by valrod33:
JasonLaCanfora

In addition to coaching shake-up in San Fran, I hear veterans Michael Lewis and Takeo Spikes being benched on defense. Big change for 49ers

makes sense, need more speed on defense

Bowman and Mays
JasonLaCanfora

Im assuming Bowmman for Spikes but will Reggie Smith take Lewis spot???

Originally posted by ninersrule4:
JasonLaCanfora

oh s**t I hope not, Reggie SUCKS at tackling
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
JasonLaCanfora

oh s**t I hope not, Reggie SUCKS at tackling

That he does but he can cover pretty well. Its either got to be Mays who can tackle great but cant cover or smith whos the opposite hmmmm..
SPEED KILLS!!!!

We can't match speed...secondary is slow...LB's are slow excepte Willis.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by wailers15:
2 things mainly

cant stop the screen

Also

OUR DEFENSE IS OVERRATED!!!! I know alot of you will hate to hear this but come on it's true.
Spencer made a great pick, but man he get's burnt alot or it's always his WR making a big play or it's Nate's man. Our DB's are subpar. Spikes needs to go. We should've never even signed him. When Vilma was available we didn't even bring him in. He would be a much better partner next to Willis.
Our Defensive Line is Crap! All we have is Smith, and Franklin is okay. He had 1 break out year for us. Wonder why (contract). Manny Lawson just doesn't know how to utilize his talents. Michael Lewis is crap he's slow. Dashon has rapidly regressed.

Manusky needs to get a lot of blame for this. He continues to call the most vanilla 3-4 in the game, places ZERO premium on OLB's who can pass rush, can't make in-game adjustments or identify OBVIOUS weaknesses in this defense (off-tackle runs, screen passes, zero pass rush, slow safety and ILB and piss poor coverage in the middle of the field, etc.)...same problems every year yet you freaking fans expect us to be a top 5 defense? Laughable!

Want to watch one play that exemplifies our defense? Watch the flea-flicker TD by KC. Watch an unblocked Manny Lawson lightly jogging towards Cassel as he completed that TD. NO HEART!

I agree with manny. i was cursing infront of my 2 yr old son when i saw him doggin. i am shocked he wasn't benched for the rest of the game. telling me not one coahc saw that? bush league
Too slow and no pass rush.
Share 49ersWebzone