LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

ESPN: Smith worst QB in NFC West and getting worse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
frankly im not sure that i would take smith over he other qbs in the division. The most dissapointing thing about alex smith is that everything has to be perfect for him to succeed, the blocking has to be perfect, the wide recievers have to run perfect routes, then he still ends up checking it down to gore, and he cant even do that accurately half the time. The best qbs can anticpate and hit recievers in stride, alex hasnt learned how to do this and probably never will, however matt hassleback does this and even sam bradford as a rookie does this, and at least derriick anderson has the stones to throw it down field every once in a while, that being said, i might take smith over anderson but it would be close, an thats saying a lot.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Smokie:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Very overly simplistic. The media always only looks at the QB and thinks that's all there is. Just like most fans.

~ How does it explain why we can't get our plays in on time?
~ How does it explain the players can't understand the OC?
~ Explain why our PR guys can't catch a punt?
~ Explain why we get out coached and out schemed in every single game?
~ Why is our ownership so reactionary instead of being proactive?

This is a dysfunctional organization don't kid yourself. You could just as easily say we have the "WORST OWNERSHIP IN THE LEAGUE" and it's getting worse...

I think you could make a real strong argument for that.

If Smith would come out of the damn chute and play like Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, or so many others, you would be singing the praises of our management team. Alex is a cancer in this organization. He has the NFL QB version of Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy - everyone around him *but him* gets hurt, but he is the one inflicting the harm.

Flacco has looked pretty bad so far this year.

so not the point.

People claiming they want him to play like Flacco have no idea what they are talking about, they come up with these comparisons and don't realize he is playing almost better then Flacco.

Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD TD % INT INT % Long Sck Sack/Lost Rating
Joe Flacco 108 59 664 54.6 6.1 4 3.7 5 4.6 38 3 19 66.3
Alex Smith 119 72 732 60.5 6.2 2 1.7 5 4.2 41 7 35 66.2

your logic is so flawed I don't even know where to begin.

Please point out where it flawed? People want Flacco but his numbers are almost exact to Smith but Smith has a higher completion %?

Find one person with an IQ greater than 50 who would take Smith over Flacco, and you will have found the love of your life.

I thought you quit being a 9er fan. Go away little boy.

~Ceadder

You are the one who quit being a Niner fan and have become a Smith jock sniffer. What is up with that? Do you actually care about winning? Do you understand that Smith is a big part of the losing equation? Some girls really understand football but you need to find a boyfriend who can teach you a few things.

Wow what a great argument. You took a tact that I have never seen before. When in doubt go for the personal attack.

I would report you but since I know you're one of the offending alias screennames I'll make you look more intelligent by stating you win I give up and let's sh!tcan Smith right now.

Can't wait til I read your Obit. And won't be surprised that CoD was a beatin that got out of hand cause your mouth overrode you your hummingbird ass.

~Ceadder

LOL you call someone a little boy then get your panties in a bunch when you get some of your same medicine.

I didn't question your gender. I also did not question your IQ. Though the way you post I'm seriously reconsidering the IQ portion of this issue.

Either come up here and settle it like the man you think you are or stop with the personal attacks altogether. I question your maturity because you constantly post like your 10 years old. If you are a 10 year old than accept it gracefully. You aren't old enough to take offense to being called on it.

~Ceadder

I question your maturity for wanting to fight someone because they called you names on the internet...

That's your prerogative. I never said I was mature. I just don't go after people with personal attacks. I've always believed that if you say something personal like that you better be able to stand up for your name calling.

I can deal with being considered immature.

~Ceadder
So back to the topic...what QBs in the NFC are worse than Smith?

NFC West...none. NFC East...none. NFC North...none. NFC South...Josh Freeman of TB is way better already and JClausen/Matt Moore of Carolina...

Hmm, well he MIGHT be better than JC at the moment, but I dunno it's close...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Very overly simplistic. The media always only looks at the QB and thinks that's all there is. Just like most fans.

~ How does it explain why we can't get our plays in on time?
~ How does it explain the players can't understand the OC?
~ Explain why our PR guys can't catch a punt?
~ Explain why we get out coached and out schemed in every single game?
~ Why is our ownership so reactionary instead of being proactive?

This is a dysfunctional organization don't kid yourself. You could just as easily say we have the "WORST OWNERSHIP IN THE LEAGUE" and it's getting worse...

I think you could make a real strong argument for that.

If Smith would come out of the damn chute and play like Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, or so many others, you would be singing the praises of our management team. Alex is a cancer in this organization. He has the NFL QB version of Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy - everyone around him *but him* gets hurt, but he is the one inflicting the harm.

Flacco has looked pretty bad so far this year.

so not the point.

People claiming they want him to play like Flacco have no idea what they are talking about, they come up with these comparisons and don't realize he is playing almost better then Flacco.

Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD TD % INT INT % Long Sck Sack/Lost Rating
Joe Flacco 108 59 664 54.6 6.1 4 3.7 5 4.6 38 3 19 66.3
Alex Smith 119 72 732 60.5 6.2 2 1.7 5 4.2 41 7 35 66.2

your logic is so flawed I don't even know where to begin.

Please point out where it flawed? People want Flacco but his numbers are almost exact to Smith but Smith has a higher completion %?

Flaw #1. Who says they want Flacco?

Per Shaj

If Smith would come out of the damn chute and play like Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, or so many others, you would be singing the praises of our management team.

Flaw #2. You are not grasping context and the spirit of his message. He was pointing out a set of QB's and named examples.

You can not counter his message with an argument about just one of those guys...you would have to debate with him on each one before you could even begin to have a point.

Flaw #3. You Alex lovers do the same thing every year. You point out the few QB's who happen to have a worst season than Alex for some very short amount of time....and cling on to that argument for dear life.

Example, I wanted Cutler and Sanchez 2 years ago and got all kind of crap. But nobody wants to debate me on those two anymore Of course not, because right now Flacco is not playing well so he is your magic trump card. If Cutler throws a few INT's tonight then you guys will start using him again. If Matt Ryan has a bad November, then he will be your new "See" example.

You guys are so predictable and lame right now. YOU LOST. YOU WERE WRONG. Now you just look pathetic and stubborn.

great post!!!! Agree with you 100%. The Flacco 3 game comparisons are hilarious. How about they compare the rookie years of both Smith and Flacco?

I have tried to figure out how someone could still support Smith, and I could only conclude that the average IQ of those guys must be less than 50. Losers compare themselves to people who are not doing well, to justify their own failures. Winners compare themselves to people who are doing well. Ceadder, you have revealed yourself to be a low IQ loser. Congratulations.

That's it. Come up here and say this garbage to my face. You have made your last personal attack. Reason being is if you cannot come up here and back your crap up then you should shut your pie hole you're obviously trying to get me to start attacking you. Well I won't. The offer stands open and I'm really hoping you take me up on it. I've PM'ed you my town. Google a place here of your choosing and we can speak face to face about my Sex and my IQ.

I won't make personal attacks. I'll let you continue to do so but you will be sorry if you think you can do this type of crap right to my face.

~Ceadder

Hey Smokie, quit with the personal attacks on zoners. Focus on the issues, not the people conveying the issues. I may agree with what you say about Smith, but I don't agree with making it personal with zoners.

how about YOU MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS or TELL F'n CEADDER TO STOP TALKING SH1T HIMSELF...

if you were defending anyone else, I'd wouldn't respond like that Shaj....but you have to know who you are calling out and who you are defending, first and foremost.

I'm fine with the no personal attack rules here....but I wish they would be implemented fairly to everyone.

yeah, I've gone back and read some of ceadder's posts and you are right. I didn't expect that from him, he always seemed even keeled in the past. I'm surprised to see you so apparently upset as well. I guess the topic of Alex Smith gets everyone upset, lol.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

NFC West...none. NFC East...none. NFC North...none. NFC South...Josh Freeman of TB is way better already and JClausen/Matt Moore of Carolina...

Without a doubt he is the worst starting QB in the league. I know there are many Anti-Smith threads where this has been stated. I am disappointed that he is the QB for the SF 49ers.

i believe you answered your own question. Tho i think smith is more in the low teens. The season is still early and lots of room to improve. It doesnt help that the coaches didn't put the offense in any position to win.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

No GM in the league (other than Baalke, out of necessity) would make Smith their starter.
You can call Alex a loser, that he sucks and that he is the worst Qb in the division or even the entire NFL. But you know what, he is among an elite group of great athletes who has accomplished far more than most of you guys will ever dream of during your entire life. What is it - are you so ashamed of your own miserable failures that you have to divert your frustration by crapping all over him? No matter where he ends up, I have a great deal of respect for him.

You guys are not class guys, and you don't deserve to have a good team to root for. And you know what, it appears that the 49ers will remain crappy for a long time to come. So go ahead an develop an ulcer over it. And you might want to get a life, too.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
1st Place, Matt Hasselbeck (Sideways arrow)

2nd Place, Sam Bradford (Green Arrow pointing up)

3rd Place, Derek Anderson (Sideways arrow)

4th Place, Alex Smith (Red Arrow Pointing Down)

"Smith has thrown three of his five interceptions on third down. He failed to build upon the tying drive he led against New Orleans a week ago. The 49ers have problems beyond Smith right now, but it's tougher to say Smith is part of the solution after a 0-3 start and two horrid road performances. Smith probably remains the 49ers' best option after the team traded away Shaun Hill. But if NFL teams had to choose their starters for Week 4 from the current starters in the division, I don't think Smith would generate much momentum. The 49ers have converted only five times in 32 third-down chances on the road."

Link to ESPN analysis

Whoa Shaj.... are you posting this because you agree with it? Do you also think Smith is a bad QB? I would never have guessed that from your other 1 million posts on the topic.. I can't come in this place without being bombarded by Shaj-hates-Smith threads. We get it. Nothing you wsay from now on will better show how much you despise Alex Smith as a QB. From now on just write "Shaj" whenever you post, and we will all regurgitate the normal Lines about Smith verbatim in out heads. It will be more efficient for everyone.

I've endured 10 million "Alex Smith will be the next Steve Young/Troy Aikmen/Jim Plunkett" type threads in NT and now that I'm regrettably vindicated 6 years into this mess, you want me to not say anything? If you want to be upset, be upset at all the nut swingers the last 6 years who supported the failed Alex Smith experiment.

From what I have read... and I can only come at this from that perspective: The Majority of posts defending Smith have used those as examples of why it is wise to wait until we know for sure. You are twisting what they said now. There is no need to gloat. 1st the season isn't over yet and Smith could turn it around. You are very quick to throw him away which is fine, but I think that not letting him finish off the season (or at least a few more games) would be kind of ridiculous. Do you want Carr or Troy Smith to Start? I really don't think that is an ugrade. So if that isn't your point, then why can't you just wait until Smith is officially benched, or released and then you can have your "I told you so" moment. When you prematurely (and it is still premature - Smith was a problem last game, but the whole team was bad, not to mention the coaching.) proclaim victory after every bad game, it makes you look foolish, and short sighted. If you just thought to yourself "There have been seven years of bad games!" then you can see that I already know that is how you feel about it.

In the end I guess you just pointed out that this is all about you. You had to put up with comparisons and now you are regrettably (very sincere) right. So you are once again showing that you just have a personal stake in the problem. If you were more unbiased about it, and didn't try to fit every new piece of the unfolding season to fit your Alex Smith worldview, then I wouldn't call you out on it.

It has been my experience here that the vast majority of Smith supporters are measured, and honest (but also optimistic - see:fan) about the situation. There are some crazy people that are myopic, but I have noticed that many more Smith haters are irrational and ridiculous about it, and alot of the time they delight in him failing, which to me just seems weird as a fan. Again there are exceptions, but that is why I tend to not call them out on it as much.
[ Edited by dtcomposer on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by excelsior:
You can call Alex a loser, that he sucks and that he is the worst Qb in the division or even the entire NFL. But you know what, he is among an elite group of great athletes who has accomplished far more than most of you guys will ever dream of during your entire life. What is it - are you so ashamed of your own miserable failures that you have to divert your frustration by crapping all over him? No matter where he ends up, I have a great deal of respect for him.

You guys are not class guys, and you don't deserve to have a good team to root for. And you know what, it appears that the 49ers will remain crappy for a long time to come. So go ahead an develop an ulcer over it. And you might want to get a life, too.

^LOL
[ Edited by Leathaface on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM ]

No GM in the league (other than Baalke, out of necessity) would make Smith their starter.

but he had 2 good drives this year
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
frankly im not sure that i would take smith over he other qbs in the division. The most dissapointing thing about alex smith is that everything has to be perfect for him to succeed, the blocking has to be perfect, the wide recievers have to run perfect routes, then he still ends up checking it down to gore, and he cant even do that accurately half the time. The best qbs can anticpate and hit recievers in stride, alex hasnt learned how to do this and probably never will, however matt hassleback does this and even sam bradford as a rookie does this, and at least derriick anderson has the stones to throw it down field every once in a while, that being said, i might take smith over anderson but it would be close, an thats saying a lot.

Hmmm you think that MAYBE if his Receivers are prepared that he CAN hit them in stride?

But he can't. Why? Cause he doesn't TRUST in his guys for the most part. He cannot trust to put the ball in play and try to get the pass there on time because Receivers like Tree show up to games unprepared tip the ball, don't fight for the ball, overrun their route, fall down on the turf for whatever reason and the ball gets Picked.

If you blame Smith then you must also place blame where it's warranted. Right now Tree is responsible for 3/4 of Smith's INTs' and that's conservatively speaking.

How can you as a fan expect Smith to do these things and then not expect the Receivers and the Line(as a side note) not to get their shat wired tight?

It completely boggles the mind.

People here are complaining about doubstandards(not picking on anyone it's just an example) but have no problems singling out the QB when this is a team effort and the TEAM is failing.

A good part of this is the lack of imagination on play calling and the Receivers getting ZERO separation.

If you're truly calling a Spade a Spade then let's do so across the table.

I want EVERYONE to step their game up. They all have the talent. Now is the time to PROVE it. Including Smith.

~Ceadder
for the record. I do think Alex Smith is better than Jimmy Clausen.
1st Place, Matt Hasselbeck (Sideways arrow)

2nd Place, Sam Bradford (Green Arrow pointing up)

3rd Place, Derek Anderson (Sideways arrow)

4th Place, Alex Smith (Red Arrow Pointing Down)

"Smith has thrown three of his five interceptions on third down. He failed to build upon the tying drive he led against New Orleans a week ago. The 49ers have problems beyond Smith right now, but it's tougher to say Smith is part of the solution after a 0-3 start and two horrid road performances. Smith probably remains the 49ers' best option after the team traded away Shaun Hill. But if NFL teams had to choose their starters for Week 4 from the current starters in the division, I don't think Smith would generate much momentum. The 49ers have converted only five times in 32 third-down chances on the road."

Link to ESPN analysis

Whoa Shaj.... are you posting this because you agree with it? Do you also think Smith is a bad QB? I would never have guessed that from your other 1 million posts on the topic.. I can't come in this place without being bombarded by Shaj-hates-Smith threads. We get it. Nothing you wsay from now on will better show how much you despise Alex Smith as a QB. From now on just write "Shaj" whenever you post, and we will all regurgitate the normal Lines about Smith verbatim in out heads. It will be more efficient for everyone.

I've endured 10 million "Alex Smith will be the next Steve Young/Troy Aikmen/Jim Plunkett" type threads in NT and now that I'm regrettably vindicated 6 years into this mess, you want me to not say anything? If you want to be upset, be upset at all the nut swingers the last 6 years who supported the failed Alex Smith experiment.

From what I have read... and I can only come at this from that perspective: The Majority of posts defending Smith have used those as examples of why it is wise to wait until we know for sure. You are twisting what they said now. There is no need to gloat. 1st the season isn't over yet and Smith could turn it around. You are very quick to throw him away which is fine, but I think that not letting him finish off the season (or at least a few more games) would be kind of ridiculous. Do you want Carr or Troy Smith to Start? I really don't think that is an ugrade. So if that isn't your point, then why can't you just wait until Smith is officially benched, or released and then you can have your "I told you so" moment. When you prematurely (and it is still premature - Smith was a problem last game, but the whole team was bad, not to mention the coaching.) proclaim victory after every bad game, it makes you look foolish, and short sighted. If you just thought to yourself "There have been seven years of bad games!" then you can see that I already know that is how you feel about it.

In the end I guess you just pointed out that this is all about you. You had to put up with comparisons and now you are regrettably (very sincere) right. So you are once again showing that you just have a personal stake in the problem. If you were more unbiased about it, and didn't try to fit every new piece of the unfolding season to fit your Alex Smith worldview, then I wouldn't call you out on it.

It has been my experience here that the vast majority of Smith supporters are measured, and honest (but also optimistic - see:fan) about the situation. There are some crazy people that are myopic, but I have noticed that many more Smith haters are irrational and ridiculous about it, and alot of the time they delight in him failing, which to me just seems weird as a fan. Again there are exceptions, but that is why I tend to not call them out on it as much.

Originally posted by excelsior:

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to welcome Alex Smith's mother to the webzone.
Share 49ersWebzone