LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 261 users in the forums

ESPN: Smith worst QB in NFC West and getting worse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So back to the topic...what QBs in the NFC are worse than Smith?

NFC West...none. NFC East...none. NFC North...none. NFC South...Josh Freeman of TB is way better already and JClausen/Matt Moore of Carolina...

Hmm, well he MIGHT be better than JC at the moment, but I dunno it's close...

No GM in the league (other than Baalke, out of necessity) would make Smith their starter.

That is so debatable it's not even funny Shaj.

I bet New Orleans would.

So would Minnesota.

Hell any team that has a solid Line would start Smith.

See why it's debatable?

At this point you guys have me hoping that he doesn't get re-signed regardless of performance. This way he comes back with a huge chip on his shoulder.

You guys all talked trash about Garcia. Fueled by that Psycho T.O. and his trashtalk. Garcia left and we have Smith and you all were kissing Garcia's ass wanting him to come back when he was a FA. Hell some members here wanted to trade for him when he was QB'ing for Tampa.

You guys seem to think that renting McNabb would have taken this team to the Super Bowl. McNabb would get NUKED behind the Line that played this past Sunday. He's not the mobile McNabb. He's the STATUESQUE McNabb. KC would have put him out for the season with Jimmy Raye calling the plays.

Do you know why I'm not ready to throw the towell on Smith? Cause we would have to do it all over again. This is the hand we are dealt and have had and couldn't get away from for the last 5 years. Either we make due or we strap ourselves into the chair and hang on for another 10 years of suckitude.

That's why.

Your complaining doesn't make matters any better. And if you think that I do not get physically Ill after a Loss then you have not listened to a word I've said and you haven't been paying attention to my demeanor.

I was so pissed off by Halftime I nearly picked my Netbook off the coffee table and pitched it out the window w/o opening it. And what made it worse was seeing all the crap play in the trenches, the lack of consistency on the part of the Zebras and knowing that you guys would lump it all on the head of the one guy who NEVER gave up other than Frank.

Smith got his ass kicked and you guys are only there to kick the dirt over his grave.

If you need some proof about my mentality I can post a pic of all the busted up 360 controllers that I own. Want to know how fast a 360 controller breaks? Takes a bit but the longest I've had one last is 3 months. The cordless ones anyway. The battery pack generally breaks the housing when it it's the floor. And that's games that need updates.My MLB 2k9 game is on the shelf for the duration. I refuse to play it anymore cause the AI in it sucks ass.

~Ceadder

NFC West...none. NFC East...none. NFC North...none. NFC South...Josh Freeman of TB is way better already and JClausen/Matt Moore of Carolina...

No GM in the league (other than Baalke, out of necessity) would make Smith their starter.

I bet New Orleans would.

So would Minnesota.

See why it's debatable?

At this point you guys have me hoping that he doesn't get re-signed regardless of performance. This way he comes back with a huge chip on his shoulder.

You guys all talked trash about Garcia. Fueled by that Psycho T.O. and his trashtalk. Garcia left and we have Smith and you all were kissing Garcia's ass wanting him to come back when he was a FA. Hell some members here wanted to trade for him when he was QB'ing for Tampa.

You guys seem to think that renting McNabb would have taken this team to the Super Bowl. McNabb would get NUKED behind the Line that played this past Sunday. He's not the mobile McNabb. He's the STATUESQUE McNabb. KC would have put him out for the season with Jimmy Raye calling the plays.

Do you know why I'm not ready to throw the towell on Smith? Cause we would have to do it all over again. This is the hand we are dealt and have had and couldn't get away from for the last 5 years. Either we make due or we strap ourselves into the chair and hang on for another 10 years of suckitude.

That's why.

Your complaining doesn't make matters any better. And if you think that I do not get physically Ill after a Loss then you have not listened to a word I've said and you haven't been paying attention to my demeanor.

I was so pissed off by Halftime I nearly picked my Netbook off the coffee table and pitched it out the window w/o opening it. And what made it worse was seeing all the crap play in the trenches, the lack of consistency on the part of the Zebras and knowing that you guys would lump it all on the head of the one guy who NEVER gave up other than Frank.

Smith got his ass kicked and you guys are only there to kick the dirt over his grave.

~Ceadder

McNabb has unbelievable pocket presence. His problem has always been accuracy on short-mid range passing. He's also a great deep ball thrower. And in case you're wondering, he's an ALL-PRO.

And I don't know what the hell you're talkin about with Garcia?! I loved that guy and was pissed when we got rid of him. He was a great QB for us.

I bet New Orleans would.

So would Minnesota.

See why it's debatable?

That's why.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Love ya man -- but it's over. Alex Smith's days are numbered. You can blame it on crappy line play -- crappy wide receiver play or crappy play calling. You can blame it on my dog.

Don't blame it on Alex Smith -- of course. I know where you're coming from. He's to blame for none of it.

But really -- what you're doing is -- beating the skeletal remains of a horse that's been dead for five years. Smith's time in a 49er uniform ended -- as of yesterday. And when I say "time," what I really mean is "future." He's done man. Toast. Finished.

Unless he has nekkid pictures of Jed York with Willie Brown somewhere.

But I don't think he does.

And no -- I do not share the same love and support for Smith that you do. That much is well documented. But you deserve credit for hanging in there. Not many Alex Smith supporters are coming back to the Webzone these days. You appear to be one of the very few.

Go Niners It's quittin' time. Let some Monday Night Football wash away the dread of that KC game.
Originally posted by danimal:
ceadder. You are one funny guy

LOL. Right, cus New Orleans and Minnesota has been banging on our door begging for a trade.

Of course Childress has been p***y footing with old man winter for 2 years because he felt he had no other options. Obviously Alex Smith was next on his to call list. I guess he just assumed the Niners would not be interested in trading away their star QB.

That was not the scenario danimal. I never said anyone would trade for him and it was never prefaced in that manner. It was said that NOBODY would Start him for their team. Which is pure garbage. Some peoples Homer program is on the glitch, by making the assertion that nobody would. Just cause YOU won't does not mean that Professional GMs' won't.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
1st Place, Matt Hasselbeck (Sideways arrow)

2nd Place, Sam Bradford (Green Arrow pointing up)

3rd Place, Derek Anderson (Sideways arrow)

4th Place, Alex Smith (Red Arrow Pointing Down)

"Smith has thrown three of his five interceptions on third down. He failed to build upon the tying drive he led against New Orleans a week ago. The 49ers have problems beyond Smith right now, but it's tougher to say Smith is part of the solution after a 0-3 start and two horrid road performances. Smith probably remains the 49ers' best option after the team traded away Shaun Hill. But if NFL teams had to choose their starters for Week 4 from the current starters in the division, I don't think Smith would generate much momentum. The 49ers have converted only five times in 32 third-down chances on the road."

Link to ESPN analysis

Whoa Shaj.... are you posting this because you agree with it? Do you also think Smith is a bad QB? I would never have guessed that from your other 1 million posts on the topic.. I can't come in this place without being bombarded by Shaj-hates-Smith threads. We get it. Nothing you wsay from now on will better show how much you despise Alex Smith as a QB. From now on just write "Shaj" whenever you post, and we will all regurgitate the normal Lines about Smith verbatim in out heads. It will be more efficient for everyone.

I've endured 10 million "Alex Smith will be the next Steve Young/Troy Aikmen/Jim Plunkett" type threads in NT and now that I'm regrettably vindicated 6 years into this mess, you want me to not say anything? If you want to be upset, be upset at all the nut swingers the last 6 years who supported the failed Alex Smith experiment.

From what I have read... and I can only come at this from that perspective: The Majority of posts defending Smith have used those as examples of why it is wise to wait until we know for sure. You are twisting what they said now. There is no need to gloat. 1st the season isn't over yet and Smith could turn it around. You are very quick to throw him away which is fine, but I think that not letting him finish off the season (or at least a few more games) would be kind of ridiculous. Do you want Carr or Troy Smith to Start? I really don't think that is an ugrade. So if that isn't your point, then why can't you just wait until Smith is officially benched, or released and then you can have your "I told you so" moment. When you prematurely (and it is still premature - Smith was a problem last game, but the whole team was bad, not to mention the coaching.) proclaim victory after every bad game, it makes you look foolish, and short sighted. If you just thought to yourself "There have been seven years of bad games!" then you can see that I already know that is how you feel about it.

In the end I guess you just pointed out that this is all about you. You had to put up with comparisons and now you are regrettably (very sincere) right. So you are once again showing that you just have a personal stake in the problem. If you were more unbiased about it, and didn't try to fit every new piece of the unfolding season to fit your Alex Smith worldview, then I wouldn't call you out on it.

It has been my experience here that the vast majority of Smith supporters are measured, and honest (but also optimistic - see:fan) about the situation. There are some crazy people that are myopic, but I have noticed that many more Smith haters are irrational and ridiculous about it, and alot of the time they delight in him failing, which to me just seems weird as a fan. Again there are exceptions, but that is why I tend to not call them out on it as much.

smith haters are irrational and ridiculous? Au contraire. I guess you would call Lombardi and Walsh irrational and ridiculous because they would have put a stop to this Alex Smith bullcrap 5 years ago, and you know it. 'haters' is a misnomer. call us 'results lovers' or 'excellence expecters'. Call yourselves 'blind faith', because that's what you are clinging to, nothing else.

I'm not talking about the belief that Smith will fail as being irrational Shaj. Plus Walsh would have developed Alex differently anyway... see we can both declare allegiance with Walsh. The other thing is that I am not a smith-lover. I am simply somebody who tries to look rationally at the situation. I use haters and lovers to talk about those with strong and consistent positions on the subject. I am simply using the Webzone nomenclature. I guess each "hater"- sorry to use that again, but you know what I mean - has some different reasons. Some want excellence, and become irrational when it doesn't happen now. Instead of looking at the reasons and fixing them, they just want to get rid of the perceived problem. That is how I see you. At some point though, it obviously became personal and something that means alot to you personally, that is, it means a lot for you to be right. So whenever that happened you started losing objectivity and credibility, and your honest opinion became what it is now...
too kick dirt on alex smiths grave would be to completley give up on the season, it is only week three, and hopefully we open up he playbook and get more consistant blocking next week. That being said, alex smith needs to show some fire, get mad, show us some heart, i think if he did that everyone would have more respect for him. remember that winning cures all.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

I bet New Orleans would.

So would Minnesota.

See why it's debatable?

That's why.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Love ya man -- but it's over. Alex Smith's days are numbered. You can blame it on crappy line play -- crappy wide receiver play or crappy play calling. You can blame it on my dog.

Don't blame it on Alex Smith -- of course. I know where you're coming from. He's to blame for none of it.

But really -- what you're doing is -- beating the skeletal remains of a horse that's been dead for five years. Smith's time in a 49er uniform ended -- as of yesterday. And when I say "time," what I really mean is "future." He's done man. Toast. Finished.

Unless he has nekkid pictures of Jed York with Willie Brown somewhere.

But I don't think he does.

And no -- I do not share the same love and support for Smith that you do. That much is well documented. But you deserve credit for hanging in there. Not many Alex Smith supporters are coming back to the Webzone these days. You appear to be one of the very few.

Go Niners It's quittin' time. Let some Monday Night Football wash away the dread of that KC game.

Well if your dog were on the field and did not heist his leg on the Refs for their idiotic calls then it would be his fault too.

~Ceadder
i am sooo painful and very sad that 49ers is very worst the games and no great a game! I wish, they need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
too kick dirt on alex smiths grave would be to completley give up on the season, it is only week three, and hopefully we open up he playbook and get more consistant blocking next week. That being said, alex smith needs to show some fire, get mad, show us some heart, i think if he did that everyone would have more respect for him. remember that winning cures all.

he did

during the game he was pissed at raye for the playcalling asking why we are running and doing short passing playcalls i
  • Otter
  • Veteran

smith haters are irrational and ridiculous? Au contraire. I guess you would call Lombardi and Walsh irrational and ridiculous because they would have put a stop to this Alex Smith bullcrap 5 years ago, and you know it. 'haters' is a misnomer. call us 'results lovers' or 'excellence expecters'. Call yourselves 'blind faith', because that's what you are clinging to, nothing else.

I don't think I've ever seen you address this, and I've posted it numerous times.

LT - Jonas Jennings/Anthony Clement/Adam Snyder
LG - Justin Smiley
C - Eric Heitman
RG - David Baas/
RT - Kwame Harris
TE - Billy Bajema/Terry Jones
WR - Arnaz Battle/Brandon Lloyd/Johnny Morton
RB - Kevan Barlow/Frank Gore
FB - Fred Beasley/Chris Heatherington

What sort of results would you EXPECT to see, certainly excellence is damn near out of the question on that team. An elite QB in his prime would struggle with that cast, asking a rookie from a gimmick college offense to excel is unrealistic.

I have always maintained that Smith's rookie year and even 2006 to an extent are meaningless given the state of the franchise. This is Smith's year to prove whether he can start. This is the year to analyze the results, for you results lovers. So far, I agree, he doesn't deserve to be back next year. But let's evaluate his results over the course of the year.

Originally posted by danimal:
ceadder. You are one funny guy

LOL. Right, cus New Orleans and Minnesota has been banging on our door begging for a trade.

Of course Childress has been p***y footing with old man winter for 2 years because he felt he had no other options. Obviously Alex Smith was next on his to call list. I guess he just assumed the Niners would not be interested in trading away their star QB.

That was not the scenario danimal. I never said anyone would trade for him and it was never prefaced in that manner. It was said that NOBODY would Start him for their team. Which is pure garbage. Some peoples Homer program is on the glitch, by making the assertion that nobody would. Just cause YOU won't does not mean that Professional GMs' won't.

~Ceadder

oh well then nobody knows. All we do know is that nobody has ever tried to trade for him. But sure you are right, it is definitely unproveable that we know that nobody else would start him.....like I said I am sure Childress would start him....after all he does really seem to hate Tavaris
Originally posted by Otter:

I don't think I've ever seen you address this, and I've posted it numerous times.

LT - Jonas Jennings/Anthony Clement/Adam Snyder
LG - Justin Smiley
C - Eric Heitman
RG - David Baas/
RT - Kwame Harris
TE - Billy Bajema/Terry Jones
WR - Arnaz Battle/Brandon Lloyd/Johnny Morton
RB - Kevan Barlow/Frank Gore
FB - Fred Beasley/Chris Heatherington

What sort of results would you EXPECT to see, certainly excellence is damn near out of the question on that team. An elite QB in his prime would struggle with that cast, asking a rookie from a gimmick college offense to excel is unrealistic.

I have always maintained that Smith's rookie year and even 2006 to an extent are meaningless given the state of the franchise. This is Smith's year to prove whether he can start. This is the year to analyze the results, for you results lovers. So far, I agree, he doesn't deserve to be back next year. But let's evaluate his results over the course of the year.

That is what I am trying to say. Just let the season play out and this can all be put to bed one way or the other. Though I suspect that Anything short of an MVP season and a superbowl will not be enough for some.
Mader chod
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by qwestlove94:

he did

during the game he was pissed at raye for the playcalling asking why we are running and doing short passing playcalls i

he did...and look what happened, come monday raye is looking for a job, a step in the right direction to say the least, we need more of this, would love to see him yelling at crabtree (someone who needs to be yelled at) and his o-line. If we do get another starting qb this offseason we should keep smith around as a backup, he not terrible.
You know I aint even mad about this thread. This s**t been up since week one, and now when the arrow is down, then they post. When the arrow was up after the NO game it was up, and he was the second best.

What some of you guys have to understand is that the haters, and trolls got a good spanking by the mods, and were warned, because of just hating on one player.

They figure since they could find something that wasnt too positive, and now running with it.

They cant say too much in other threads cuz they'll get warned. So they decided to make this petty thread, just so they can vent, and say how much he sucks.

Some of our vets are off da hook. I cant believe that a lot of this hate is coming from them. The noobs ok, but not the vets.

It's like if they cant be heard in another thread, lets make one so we can be heard. So if it bothers some of us that much, just dont read, cuz this thread is trolling at it's finest.

When the arrow was up and green no thread, now it's down, and a thread. Pitiful.

OH Well

Go NIners
Share 49ersWebzone