LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 320 users in the forums

Hypothetically! If Steve Young (prime) was QB now how far you think we could go?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
well yeah?
Originally posted by insanemike27:
I'll probably be excommunicated for this but this team wouldn't be any better with Steve Young than with Alex Smith. Steve Young would have never won a superbowl if he had played for another team. He won that superbowl in 1994 because he pretty much had an all star cast around him. Just look at what that defense did to the Cowboys in that championship game. We buried Dallas early because of our defense.

The Dallas Cowboys of the early 90's were perhaps the most talented group overall that has ever played. They had the best O-line in history, and probably the best D-line in the league.

Young ran into a buzz saw. It required Deon Sanders (the best DB to ever live) to just barely put us over the top of the Cowboys in 1994.

After that year, our talent level took a big hit.

BTW, we can all thank Reggie White's wife (who didn't want to live in San Francisco) for costing us another couple of Super Bowls in the 90's.

Anyways, if we had Steve Young (top 5 All-Time quarterback) on our current team, we would easily be Super Bowl favorites.

Young played with Derek Loville (starting running back), Roy Barker, Junior Bryant, Winfred Tubbs, Marquez Pope, Antonio Langham, JJ Stokes. Those players are off the top of my head, and I doubt many of them would be able to make our current 49er roster, let alone start.
Originally posted by Mex49:
I think people forget that Young did not start a game as a 49QB until his 5 th year with the team and his 7th in the league. 4 years behind Joe learning the ropes and mopping up after him and then inheriting a bus load of pro bowlers seems to payoff. Young was able to advantage of the opportunity and made the most of it. He is good but he ain't Joe Montana

Stevexcuses!
Originally posted by English:
I think people forget that Young did not start a game as a 49QB until his 5 th year with the team and his 7th in the league. 4 years behind Joe learning the ropes and mopping up after him and then inheriting a bus load of pro bowlers seems to payoff. Young was able to advantage of the opportunity and made the most of it. He is good but he ain't Joe Montana

Stevexcuses!

...except he's not talking about excuses...
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by English:

Stevexcuses!

...except he's not talking about excuses...

Check the use of exclamation marks

Joe Montana was the best, but let's be fair. The teams that Young played in were seldom as good as the teams that Montana played in. For example, the 1984 and 1989 teams were just incredibly complete. The 1987 team was very good as well, but choked in the playoffs. The 1992 team was good, but the defense was never truly tested until the Cowboys encounter. The offense under Young was consistently very good, and could win games by itself (by scoring more than the other teams), but the more complete Cowboys were able to go toe-to-toe with the offense, and beat up on the defense. Post 1994, the 49ers slowly deteriorated, and it was Young who kept the team records respectable.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Maybe not quite as far as they would if they hypothetically had Joe Montana.

I dunno if Montana would survive in this modern era (he'd probably be less apt to injury due to all the penalties which protect the QB now-a-days), but modern QBs are all huge mofos now (even with Brees being 6'0, he's still a very bulky dude).

But no doubt in my mind if we had a circa 1984 Joe Montana (with a healthy scratch) that would be open for discussion, but he'd probably last in the league for a good 4 years or less.

in an era where the qb is protected above everything else u think he would be more likely to get injured??interesting....
No way Super Bowl.

I disagree stongly with the posters who said that. This team in no way has a Super Bowl caliber secondary, return game, head coach and ownership backing the team. All of those are major weak points and would hold back the team IMO.

• dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by dugo:
Its hard to make a good comparison based on all the different aspects and factors of the unreliable change of time and space. Based on the theory of relativity. all motion must be defined relative to a frame of reference and that space and time are relative, rather than absolute concepts: it consists of two principal parts and they must remain apart Therefore since two times can't occupy the same space I can not give an accurate assessment.......

Nice way to say "This is a really dumb thread"

exactly..why not just compare butter to margarine ....
NFC championship game

Man, good hypothetical. I think they are a definite playoff team, with a chance to ride a wave deep in the playoffs. Probably something like the Warner lead cards of recent years.
Share 49ersWebzone