There are 151 users in the forums

Alex Smith Observation.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yeah i have to agree, but if many remember it's been an issue dating back to when Shaun Hill started.

The last time we played the Eagles, it was funny because Mcnabb's oline blocked our Dline low enough so that they couldnt get their hands up.

I wrote that year as well, how come our line doesnt block in the same manner.

But i'll say it's been an issue for a while now, with our team, regardless who was at QB.
I think part of the problems of tipped passes becoming interceptions for Smith was the nature of the plays themselves. Many passes were in high traffic areas, not entirely cleared of defenders yet. If you looked at Brees' tipped passes in the Monday's game, you'd see that the areas were generally clear of defenders. Therefore Brees' tipped balls fell harmlessly to the ground.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
two words. Ball placement.

I think this may have something to do with some it. From what I watched when he misses its usually high which will lead to tipped balls which are always dangerous. I think you could say that about the one Gore tipped, not so much the other one though. I think its an issue, not a monumental one but something he could try and tweak.
small hands
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Pump pump pump fake.
I think this is a good thing... I mean sort of. It would be worse if he was consistenly making bad decisions that were causing these ints. But its not bad decisions, its tipped passes, both our guys tipping (extra annoying) and the other teams guys (generally defense making great plays). Smith generally makes really good decisions with the football.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Couple of points:

1. Pump fake equals a sack on the first tipped pass/interception.....Smith just barely got that pass off with a safety coming in on a blitz. You can blame Smith for being a bit off on the placement....but he did have to get rid of it quick.

2. I know Gore is god on this board and can do no wrong....but that's the second pass tipped by Gore that's gotten picked off in as many games. Maybe he should consider batting the pass down if he can see that it's going to be difficult to reel it in. Not totally his fault....but Gore's lack of height and length is one of the reasons that it's tough to thread him accurate passes.

3. Saints are the #1 team in the league in takeaways for a reason. They are coached to strip balls and every player in their secondary has good hands.

4. Contrast that with Manny "Butterfingers" Lawson. I can't think of a single player on our defense that has good hands or a nose for the ball. Whatever the case, we're one of the worst defenses when it comes to takeaways.
Smith is a rhythm kinda guy. He gets better the more he throws and that really showed Monday night.

If the O-line keeps playing like they did Monday, we could see this offense finally live up to their potential.
Originally posted by Super9er81:

I think this may have something to do with some it. From what I watched when he misses its usually high which will lead to tipped balls which are always dangerous. I think you could say that about the one Gore tipped, not so much the other one though. I think its an issue, not a monumental one but something he could try and tweak.

yup, high or badly placed throws lead to alot of tipped balls by our own receivers
Originally posted by kray28:
Couple of points:

1. Pump fake equals a sack on the first tipped pass/interception.....Smith just barely got that pass off with a safety coming in on a blitz. You can blame Smith for being a bit off on the placement....but he did have to get rid of it quick.

2. I know Gore is god on this board and can do no wrong....but that's the second pass tipped by Gore that's gotten picked off in as many games. Maybe he should consider batting the pass down if he can see that it's going to be difficult to reel it in. Not totally his fault....but Gore's lack of height and length is one of the reasons that it's tough to thread him accurate passes.

3. Saints are the #1 team in the league in takeaways for a reason. They are coached to strip balls and every player in their secondary has good hands.

4. Contrast that with Manny "Butterfingers" Lawson. I can't think of a single player on our defense that has good hands or a nose for the ball. Whatever the case, we're one of the worst defenses when it comes to takeaways.

We lead the league in takeaways last year if I'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by ghostrider:
Couple of points:

you are very mistaken.
we were like top 3 in differential. with like a +9 TO differential.
Green Bay had like a rediculous +23 .

____

I am not just referring to the Saints game. This is over his entire career.
i have observed that he has stolen my heart
Originally posted by Super9er81:

There is also the idea that Crabtree isn't on the same page as Alex given that 3 out of the 4 INT's are Crabtree intended passes.
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Couple of points:

you are very mistaken.

____

OK. I'll take top-3 in differential any season. That's a pretty far cry from, "Whatever the case, we're one of the worst defenses when it comes to takeaways."
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
Couple of points:

you are very mistaken.

____

OK. I'll take top-3 in differential any season. That's a pretty far cry from, "Whatever the case, we're one of the worst defenses when it comes to takeaways."

We we #1 in fumbles caused last year. Jaws said so during the game.
Share 49ersWebzone