Is Chilo Rachal a bust?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Chilo Rachal a bust?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
He's overrated on this board. More of a backup IMO. He has no business being a starter.

So isn't being a solid back up bust material for pick 39 overall?

People on the WZ think he is a star. He is a backup. That's the difference. I don't think he is an outright bust at this point. But mentally he misses too many assignments. I think he is one of those guys who has ability but a 10 cent head like Nate Davis.

I haven't seen ANYBODY on this board call him a "star."

I think he's a bust. I have never been impressed by Rachal. The Line played great without him last night, and I don't see it playing any better with him in there.

I agree.

This

I was surprised that Sing hinted that Baas might keep the center job, but that Chilo would be a starter as soon as he was ready. Snyder played a good game and I think Heitmann would be better at RG than Chilo also. In my opinion it is still to early for the bust label but he is not starter quality yet.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
This dude seems really up and down and a little injury prone. Our offense line looked as good as its been for a long time last night (other than baas' safety). Rachal was a high draft pick. Is he a bust?

Well, you mention that the OL looked "as good as its been for a long time" against the Saints. That OL included Baas, who has been playing so well it looks like he is likely to keep the starting C job when Heitmann comes back. Baas has been probably more injury prone than Rachal and was at least as inconsistent when he played. Sometimes it just takes some guys a little longer. Granted, it apparently took a position change, but the 49ers' patience with Baas (when many on this board have been calling for his head for a while) is paying off now. I don't know if that will be the case for Rachal as well but he's still young. He needs to stay healthy and he needs to get better but its too early to call him a "bust".
Originally posted by znk916:
he might've been our best linemen down the stretch last year

• NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
we knew he was very raw coming from college he is a work in progress i guess

a disspointment yes
bust no

he can be very god he is just very inconsistant

luckily solaru brown and singeltary will help him

All of this.
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:

That's pushing it.
I guess we'll find out. The line was great w/o him on Monday.

Chilo will start Sunday @ KC.

http://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/25262733493
We'll see. He's dangerously close to getting the label, and he's running out of time. He may only have this year to prove himself otherwise. I've not been impressed -- he's far too inconsistent.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
I dont think Chilo is a bust at all, he is very young and it was well documented that he came out of USC way to early. One of the reasons alot of people passed on him was because there wasnt alot of knowledge about him in the first place. Pete Carroll has said on record that he purposely protected him and put him at guard. The plan was to move him to one of the tackle spots as he got older. He was afraid that everyone would start talking him up as a top 10 pick if he started there. As it turned out his mother had gotten real sick and he had to leave USC early.

I think now that he has Solari and Brown he is going to really blossom in the next 2 seasons, but yes to this point he is no Desean Jax

Agree
He has talent and has had some good games but he can not be counted on , very inconsistent...and prone to injury. Good thing we have depth there as Snyder played very well Mon night . Not even close to being ready to give up on the kid yet ....he could become the guy we hope he is .

not a star not a bust
Well, if he is, he'll really be exposed this year. Snyder asserted himself very well in the Saints game...OG's his best position and it showed. If Chilo doesn't step it up, he'll stick out like a sore thumb, because his linemates showed tremendous improvement from the Seattle game.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I guess we'll find out. The line was great w/o him on Monday.

Chilo will start Sunday @ KC.

http://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/25262733493

This is total BS.

Despite great play by Snyder he's being "excused from practice" or in other words, since you're not starting you can do what you want. What kind of message does this send? That if you play better than the guy who obviously was there before you, ya get yanked?

I wholeheartedly disagree with this move. We will see. Rachal is a huge liability. Chile "The Turn-style" Rachal.

Maybe he had a death in the family
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:

He wasn't. He could have been our worst lineman, but the competition was pretty intense.
Chilo is ok, I wouldn't call him a bust. I think he's good for depth and maybe serviceable as a starter but probably not worth the second round pick McCloughan used to get him. Time will tell but I think we're in a good position regardless with Snyder and Heitman also able to play both guard positions.
Share 49ersWebzone