Originally posted by susweel:
Did Westrbook even get into the game ?

just the wildcat play

I must have blinked.
Originally posted by craigyboy:

just the wildcat play

I saw that, and was like wow...is that what Raye learned about Westy in practice?! lol

just the wildcat play

They need to bury that play in the back of the play book.

just the wildcat play

Can you believe it ...... this is the best that Raye can come up with for a RB like Westbrook.
By mid season when Frank Gore is slowing down, Westbrook will get his steady taste of action. But yes he is definitely a better option in the redzone until that time comes. I would like to see him in there, but if he is used more and more as the season goes on, it could be a nice wrinkle to have late in the season. No need to rush him in up to this point, but they will have to use him this week more I would believe with the short week and road trip coming.

[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Sep 21, 2010 at 11:42:58 ]
Westbrook absolutely needs to be involved in the red zone. Having both him and Gore have the ability to take a safe dump off and turn it into a sprint to the end zone. Have them both split in the backfield and then flare out to either side, then Alex can make a quick read in the endzone and if nothing is there, he can dump it to either guy.
We should steal some of the Saints plays and use Crab and Westbrook on similar screen or double screen action ... those were some well designed plays wow ... creativity is needed. I'd like for this team to be dangerous and give defenses more to gameplan for. Its like run Gore, Vernon on the seam route and thats pretty much it. Too much wasted talent on the team. Plays can be designed with Walker, Westbrook, Gore, Crab, and Vernon all on the field together....if nothing else a larger variety of formations and personnel groupings will keep defenses honest.
actually the more I thought about it, the bottom line is that getting either of these guys on the field poses matchup problems, the difference being that you don't know if Walker is in there to block or catch, and if Westbrook is in there to run or catch

wouldn't be the same play calls, but I'm pretty sure you'd get even better results just because Westbrook is a better and more reliable threat
Westbrook is too much of a talent to play a total of 1 snap in two games. If Raye really is incompetent enough to not know who Westbrook is and what he can do, he needs to go find some tape really freaking quick.

Oh yeah I forgot, Raye would rather use Moran Norris than one of the best pass catching RB's of the past decade.

Westbrook better get some significant time from here on out.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Westbrook absolutely needs to be involved in the red zone. Having both him and Gore have the ability to take a safe dump off and turn it into a sprint to the end zone. Have them both split in the backfield and then flare out to either side, then Alex can make a quick read in the endzone and if nothing is there, he can dump it to either guy.

This is what I want to see too , and I would rather throw to Westbrook over Moran Norris. I still can't believe how we have given Westbrook one touch and that it was that stupid wildcat ------ what a waste of great talent and experience. Our coaches scare me sometimes with their use of the talent on the team especially on offensive side of the ball.

I did like the coaches using Dixon near the goal line , I will give them that.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Sep 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM ]

seems like every time Fumbles touches the football it results in a turn over.
i would expect one of the Matt's to be all over this. i'd love to hear what sing/raye's excuse is for letting Westbrook go to waste. Why the F did we sign him? We played Crabtree right away why can't we incorporate Westbrook?
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
I was going to say the same thing about Walker. The guy averages about 1 fumble per 100 yards. I think he has to sit until the coaches are confident in him not coughing up the ball. It's just not worth it when we lose a touchdown opportunity and the other team gets a score. Forget mismatches, I'll take half as many yards and 0 fumbles. Put in another receiver.

Walkers hella funny on the radio though.
Man I would love to see Gore and Westbrook in the backfield together in the split-formation, but we dont run the west coast offense.. :(
I agree we need to get Westbrook in more packages I also agree with Westbrook returning punts (why not try out dixon) also Go Niners
Share 49ersWebzone