There are 31 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

even though i thought he played very good. he had 2 picks and we lost.

B
Very happy w/ Alex's performance last night, really surprised that he hung in there and made the plays when he to. The last drive was a thing of beauty... "especially his running game... where n' the hell was that?"

I agree, i can't say it was an "A" w/ two picks, but a strong B for me. I hope he carries this over to KC.
B- B for better than Alex Smith usually plays. I don't think he'll ever have an A plus type game
  • crzy
  • Veteran
I give him an A
Originally posted by susweel:
C

The int's cost the game and they were both his fault.

yeah cuz the two fumbles and safety had nothing to do with it...
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
C

The int didn't cost the game the saftey(led to 9 points) and fumbles from Adams and delante cost the game Alex didn't

However I give him a b+ h did everything to put us in a chance to win and we didn't comethroigh however I agree that you can't have a A with 2 int (although 1 wasn't his fault)

delanie*
-I give him a solid B for finally showing some f**king emotion and growing some balls! He was pissed when we Delanie fumbled and he showed it. He even told one of the defensive guys he wanted the ball back when walking off the field! They gave him the ball and came right back to kick some ass.

-I still didn't like the fact that he could have ran with the ball at least 3 times early in the game when there was nothing to throw to. I loved how he finally did it towards the end of the game.

-The bad pass to Gore for the interception was his fault. The other was questionable.

-I only saw him run to his right and lay an egg once or possible twice in the entire game.

-It is not easy to drive an offense down the field in the situations he was in for the last few drives and he delivered. Props for that too.

The bottom line is I thought he had a descent performance, but needed the usual kick in the ass to get him jump started. I will begin to consider him as our future QB when he shows he can begin a game with these traits and not only show them when trying to come from behind. He does not deserve an extension until he shows he can do this for at least 10 more games because we have seen spurts of what we saw last night before. The problem is consistency and not laying another egg after a good performance.

Only time will tell....
Originally posted by WestCoast:
C

The int didn't cost the game the saftey(led to 9 points) and fumbles from Adams and delante cost the game Alex didn't

However I give him a b+ h did everything to put us in a chance to win and we didn't comethroigh however I agree that you can't have a A with 2 int (although 1 wasn't his fault)

delanie*

i think he was joking because stewart scott's dumbass called him delante.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I gave him a B. That poorly thrown ball to Gore was quite costly and inexcusable. That is the second week in a row where he was way off target on a very short route. It seems obvious at this point in his career that he struggles with the short throws, and hopefully he can get that problem fixed.

Both INTs' were tipped by Defenders.

Therefore I gave him an A since NOTHING rattled him. He had guys in his Backfield a couple of times and he either stepped up and delivered or he got yards on his feet,threw the ball away or found the checkdown. All things that he was severely criticized for not doing.

~Ceadder

Are you saying that to say they weren't his fault...as we know that sometimes when a receiver tips a ball he should have caught and it gets picked off, then it's really hard to fault the QB. But the defenders tipped the ball...so that's not really a ringing endorsement for Smith's performance, quite the contrary actually.

But I will say that there was a lot to like about how he played in other parts of the game, and especially the last drive. Probably the biggest thing I noticed was that the offense was actually lined up with around 15 seconds left on the play clock. That probably had a ton to do with the improvement we saw. Heck, if the play calling mess made that much of a difference with Smith, it makes me wonder how good Carr and Davis might really be. We could be sitting with three good quarterbacks and not even know it.

I'll give him a low B. Which is a lot more than what I expected he would get.
Originally posted by Digger25:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
C

delanie*

i think he was joking because stewart scott's dumbass called him delante.

lol true that
He played a lot better so I don't know how to grade it because well, we still lost. He played good enough to beat the Saints.
Originally posted by danimal:
I am just providing context.

Alex's performance was no better than almost half of the QB's in week 2.

So I won't argue if you want to give him an A. Just know that an A may not look that impressive anymore.

I grade on a curve. And he gets a B- from me.

For the record, if he had a B- game every week. I would never want him replaced. So a B- in my book is still very good. I just don't like to diminish what an A should be reserved for.

thats all.

I guess A stands for improvement now days.

We shouldn't give an A for last night. Like you said, it was a b- (id say b) performance and if he performed that well consistently, we have our qb for the future.

Still not an A though. If that's an A, what do we give him when he looks good throwing a TD with no picks in a win? How about when he looks dominant throwing for 300+ yards, 3TDs, and 0 picks in a win? We're gonna give him the same grade for those type of performances as last nights performance? I just can't do it.
I rarely agree with Skip Bayless but I do get queezy when Alex is back there quarter backing. Watching the game last night is became very apparent that he was having a good night, but when Brees got the ball on the last series, I knew it was over.

Until AS exudes confidence and cuts down on the bounce off interceptions, I don't think I will feel comfortable. The bounce offs are because he still doesn't have that much touch.
I thought he made a very smart play when he slapped the ball out of the end zone for a safety instead of trying to fall on it. If I counted right, he started 4 drives inside his 20 that went inside their 30. That's very hard to do against a good team like the Saints. Delanie Walker F, Philip Adams F, David Bass D, Alex Smith A or B, I won't quibble.
His QB rating was 80+ something. That would put him at C or C+

I think he played great compared to the Alex Smith of the past.