Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith's performance against the Saints

Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Here is my problem when these grading polls come out. If some many people give Alex an A for week 2.

What would you give these guys....

Schaub, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez, McNabb, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Orton, Vick and Ryan
?????

By many of your standards, you should be giving nearly 50% of the QB's an A every week.

That doesn't seem like you are being critical enough.

But of course this is Homerism, I am sure many of you will find many many faults in the guys above listed game 2 performances

I could give a Rat's furry ass about the other guys Danimal. I would still give Alex the A based on what he did all game long.

Without that pesky Delay of Game penalty brought about by Davis's loss of focus Alex would have once again carved up the Saints like a turkey.

ANd this is not Homerism on my part. This is Smith not doing this before over a whole game and imho, it was indeed worthy of an A. Since there is no -/+ grade in the options then I gotta give him an A. If there were I would take into consideration the 2 turnovers and downgrade for them even though in this case shat happens and give him an A- overall. Since there isn't, anything less than an A is not indicative of what he did on the field.

~Ceadder

Not giving a Rats furry ass about how well your competitors do is EXACTLY how you get on a 7 year playoff drought.

So maybe you should start caring

I edited my original post and now listed 13 QB's who played better than Alex last week, at least debatably or statistically speaking. And 10 of those guys won their games.

Thats the problem with Alex supporters. I have been saying this for years. You guys don't pay enough attention to the other QB's in the world. There are, were and will be better options for the Niners. That is if you can let go. Which the Niners can't, and some fans can't. Which is why they deserve to lose.

The goal is to outplay those other guys you don't give a rats furry ass about.

Did you sit down and watch some of those other people play this week and be AS CRITICAL as you are being with Alex I would venture to say not. I say that becuase i find it funny that Alex can impress me, from a Defensive Coachs tandpoint, he can impress Jaws, a legit nfl qb, and Jon Gruden, still an amazing nfl Hc, but he can not impress the likes of Danimal, be real, Alex Smith impressed all those people last night because he played lights out except for 1 pass and Qbs will always make mistakes if you believe otherwise you are a blind hater. The 2nd int Jaws and gruden both went as far as to break it down and explain why it wasnt A.S's fault, from a scheme/technical standpoint Alex did the right thing, and that defeneder made an amazing play. Be "real" if Alex is impressing some of the best football minds out there with his play, you sitting in here and parading around that his play was mediocre is beyond retarded and shows your real ability to understand football in a bias way.

So the B- I gave Alex is hating? LMAO. I have heard Gruden and Jaws talk up LOTS of QB's they were covering. Whats the point?

I would love if we could settle this bet. Cus I would bet a significant amount of cash that Jaws and Gruden would have graded his performance a B, not an A

i said you are hating by saying this performance was a B- and saying that Qb play was mediocre, that was not mediocre QB play, that was impressive was it an A+ no, i am not a blind homer but was it a B- no, that was not slightly above average Nfl QB, that was a solid B+ with plenty of room for improvement but putting him in the mediocre category for last nights game is stupid.
definitely not an A, but better than a C. So he get's a B from me. If it weren't for that int. I'd give him an A-
A. I thought he played a great game and looked like a full-fledged NFL QB for the first time ever. Lets see if he can keep it up.
B to B+

In the NFL, the competition is so tight an off target pass can be the difference between a Completion or an Interception. On that pass to Gore, it was too far in front of him. Unfortunately for our Niners it was an INT; thats why I give Alex a B...
Yo NV, I am not going to argue anymore...its all just opinion. And I never said it was a mediocre game to me. A mediocre game to me is a C. I thought he played a Good game.

We probably have the same opinion about Alex Smith yesterday(and very different opinions about him overall)........but our grading styles is just different
yeah no doubt the difference between b-a is l-w. remove other team mistakes: b.
  • dj43
Here is my problem when these grading polls come out. If some many people give Alex an A for week 2.

What would you give these guys....

Schaub, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez, McNabb, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Orton, Vick, Ryan, Romo and YES...Shaun Hill
?????

By many of your standards, you should be giving nearly 50% of the QB's an A every week.

That doesn't seem like you are being critical enough.

But of course this is Homerism, I am sure many of you will find many many faults in the guys above listed game 2 performances
I would give Brees a C for last night's game. He missed quite a few open receivers.

Smith gets a B. He was clearly better than Brees last night. His command with the game on the line combined with his running ability results in the better grade.
Originally posted by 9erred:
49% are Kool Aid drinkers. You cannot lose, throw two picks, and get an excellent rating.
Solid B but in now way shape or form an A.

On the 2 point attempt he also could have ran it into the end zone, it was so wide open a slow mo joe like me could have ran it in,.

That final drive to tie the game nullifies the two picks. The rest of the miscues on SP teams, Delanies Fumble can't be blamed on Alex. He did not lose the game, if anything he helped keep the hopes of winning alive all the way to the end.

Rating Alex Smith's performance only, I give him an A-.
B
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
C

The int's cost the game and they were both his fault.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by susweel:
C

the first one, yes.

the second one was nothing more than a great defensive play. you are blind as a bat if you can't see that.
C

Originally posted by 9erred:
49% are Kool Aid drinkers. You cannot lose, throw two picks, and get an excellent rating.
Solid B but in now way shape or form an A.

On the 2 point attempt he also could have ran it into the end zone, it was so wide open a slow mo joe like me could have ran it in,.

then why didnt you?
C

The int didn't cost the game the saftey(led to 9 points) and fumbles from Adams and delante cost the game Alex didn't

However I give him a b+ h did everything to put us in a chance to win and we didn't comethroigh however I agree that you can't have a A with 2 int (although 1 wasn't his fault)
i'll give him a B. he made great throws, good decisions made at critical times. however, he still looks robotic at times-as if-for split second-something doesn't compute. i also wish he would maybe tuck the ball and run more often. just add that other dimension to his game. there was one play when he got flushed out of the pocket and had plenty of room to run, but because morgan was in his sights (but well covered) he tried to wait for an opening. instead, he threw it out of bounds. if he had simply tucked the ball and ran, he would have gotten the first. he did a good job late in the game (last drive) running, but i would like to see him do it more often.
Share 49ersWebzone