LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

This was not just another loss.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
shoulda, woulda, coulda, didn't.

This Win would have been great, but that doesn't mean that this loss has the opposite effect... there are a ton of positives to take from this and I think the team will build on it and I really think despite the fact that it was a loss this game was a turning point for this team and some key players and coaches.

Sometimes the other team beats you and sometimes you beat yourself.

We clearly beat the saints... and then beat ourselves.

There are a ton of IF's in this game, but the bottom line is the 9ers are a good football team... who can be a LOT better. There are SIX 0-2 teams (including the Cowboys and Vikings) in the NFC and ONLY four 2-0 teams (including the Buccaneers and Bears) So there is plenty of opportunity. 0-2 is not as bad as it COULD be, especially in the NFC West.

I feel really good about this team and what can still happen this year.
Delanie walker, his fumble problems continue, yet nobody made a thread about it.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We had the opporunity to beat the World Champion Saints in front of the entire country, and it would have been the biggest victory since the Wild Card victory against the Giants back in 2002. Do you realize what that win would have meant for our organization!? That would have showed the players what they are capable of doing, and that is very important to a team who has not had any significant victories since 2002! It is very frustrating to see a team have the opporunity to take the NEXT STEP and start beating good NFL teams, but instead fail at the opporunity because of foolish mistakes like turn-overs. THIS GAME IS MUCH MORE THAN JUST A WEEK 2 LOSS; it would have been a turning point for the 49ers organization.

Sometimes losses can be turning points...remember in 1994, PHI 40 SF 8?

Thank You! somebody remembers that game!!
The turnovers drive me crazy but we did a lot of good things last night and I think Alex Smith became an NFL quarterback in the game last night.

We will be okay
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Delanie walker, his fumble problems continue, yet nobody made a thread about it.

hmmm, maybe I should start one.. You ever hear Delanie Walker interviews? People used to say that Vernon Davis was hella cocky, but hearing Walker, that guy is pretty damn cocky. All he says is give him the ball and he'll make plays. The plays he seems to make quite often, are fumbles in the red zone.
That being said, I think he's still a valuable part of this team as he and Davis do present a mismatch to defenses.
We are what we are...the 11th best offense in the league and the 4th best defense so far. But we're a f**king charity.

1. We needed to beat the Saints as we should have 43-20ish and then we would have turned the corner.

2. If we had beaten them in OT it would have been a moral victory. This game was gift wrapped for us.

3. We lost like usual...same ole 49 whiners.

We better not storm into Arrowhead thinking we're going to roll over the Chiefs...it can get ugly real quick there...one of the most intimidating places to play at.
We had the opporunity to beat the World Champion Saints in front of the entire country, and it would have been the biggest victory since the Wild Card victory against the Giants back in 2002. Do you realize what that win would have meant for our organization!? That would have showed the players what they are capable of doing, and that is very important to a team who has not had any significant victories since 2002! It is very frustrating to see a team have the opporunity to take the NEXT STEP and start beating good NFL teams, but instead fail at the opporunity because of foolish mistakes like turn-overs. THIS GAME IS MUCH MORE THAN JUST A WEEK 2 LOSS; it would have been a turning point for the 49ers organization.

I think even with the lost the players know what they were capable of. We know as well as the Saints, that they got away with this one. WE BEAT OURSELVES!!! The country saw we ain't no slouch of a team, especially our Defense!!!
Disagree...last night's performance was a huge step forward for both the offense and defense. Yes, the turnovers have to stop, or at least be minimized. But, Alex outplayed Brees after the 1st qtr. Morgan was his key receiver, making some nice catches. Gore was the beast we all knew he was. The OL made huge strides from the Seattle game. The defense limited what Brees and the Saints offense could do. You give any good QB a minute and half at the end of the game and most will get their teams in FG range. Definitely work to be done on ST's...the penalty on Walker's nice KR really hurt, as did Adams' muffed punt return. Also, Bush's PR wasn't a TD only because Andy Lee knocked him out of bounds. So, while this was an agonizing loss, the team gained a lot fromthe 1st game.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
We are what we are...the 11th best offense in the league and the 4th best defense so far. But we're a f**king charity.

1. We needed to beat the Saints as we should have 43-20ish and then we would have turned the corner.

2. If we had beaten them in OT it would have been a moral victory. This game was gift wrapped for us.

3. We lost like usual...same ole 49 whiners.

We better not storm into Arrowhead thinking we're going to roll over the Chiefs...it can get ugly real quick there...one of the most intimidating places to play at.

could see em bein hungover if maybe they'd won last nite, but after goin 0for2 i highly doubt they'll be anything but pissed n fired up.
Had we not committed any of the following we would have won our most meaningful game in nearly a decade; snapped the ball through the back of the endzone for a safety, muffed the kickoff after the safety, thrown two costly picks near the opponents endzone, fumbled near the opponents endzone or fumbled the punt to us, we would have beaten the defending world champions. Yay for beating ourselves again, we're #1 in the league in that category!

Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

that was Alex's fault

Yup, had he not thrown to Walker there wouldn't have been a fumble. Alex should know better, also I bet there was someone else open he coulda thrown to.
This Game should of went to Over Time... The Saints committed a Penalty with 3 Seconds on the Clock. If my memory serves me correctly, when ever the offense commits a penalty with under two minutes to play in the game It is an Automatic 10 Sec. run Off. therefore game should of been over and went to O.T.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

Not necessarily. They could have won this one, and still go into Arrowhead and lay an egg.

Here's the deal...good teams win the games they are supposed to win. They do this consistently. Great teams win the games they are supposed to win, plus the big games against big time teams. We weren't supposed to win last nights game, because we aren't a great team yet. If we had won, it would have been a bonus and nothing more...it wouldn't have changed the fact we are not winning the games that we should be winning.

Bottom line, good teams don't lay eggs against inferior teams like we did last week, that was a game we were supposed to win, and there is no way in hell a team becomes a good team without winning those type of games week in and week out. You don't throw away opportunities to win on the road in a hostile environment against an inferior opponent. They had that opportunity, and they blew it, threw the damn thing right out the window, you have to win those type of games, those are the games you are supposed to win if you are worth a s**t. They should have dominated that team last week, and they did not...that speaks and motivates a hell of a lot more about were this teams stands than any one potential win over a great team like the Saints.

[ Edited by Blitz on Sep 21, 2010 at 08:19:16 ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by MannyFresh:
This Game should of went to Over Time... The Saints committed a Penalty with 3 Seconds on the Clock. If my memory serves me correctly, when ever the offense commits a penalty with under two minutes to play in the game It is an Automatic 10 Sec. run Off. therefore game should of been over and went to O.T.

no. the play came after a TO so the clock was stopped. that rule only applies when the clock is running.
yes , it was .. i liked seattle game better , and watch what are we going to do in KC and Atlanta we are going to play like s**t cuz we cant play good on the road !
Share 49ersWebzone