LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 331 users in the forums

Alex Smith's Best Performance Ever?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Alex Smith's Best Performance Ever?

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Anybody else spot Alex Smith leading the rally huddle with Vernon Davis before the coin flip? Dude's living up to that C on his chest.
and that accomplished what?
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by WINiner:
This poll is a joke......

Niner fans dissapoint me.

Smith puts up stats, but still loses the game for us and he is cheered. Meanwhile the guy who didn't put up the huge stats won.

This is the "new" Niner fanbase, brother. Where mediocrity is "acceptable" and moral victories can still be found in losing efforts. I dont know what happened to the old Niner faithful (maybe they just dont know how to use the internet), but I find it laughable that the team can be lauded in a losing effort.

Damn pathetic........

It is because NT has become polarized by people like you so that After every game, no matter what happened it becomes an Alex Smith sucks/Alex Smith is good battle. Also, some people are just a little bit more analytical than you obviously. Some people look at all the factors in a game. I haven't heard anyone say that the TO's were fine. But the game is over so it is time to get ready for next week. Nobody should apologize for being an optimistic fan.
Originally posted by eastbay9erfn:

Smith puts up stats, but still loses the game for us and he is cheered. Meanwhile the guy who didn't put up the huge stats won.

This is the "new" Niner fanbase, brother. Where mediocrity is "acceptable" and moral victories can still be found in losing efforts. I dont know what happened to the old Niner faithful (maybe they just dont know how to use the internet), but I find it laughable that the team can be lauded in a losing effort.

Damn pathetic........

It is because NT has become polarized by people like you so that After every game, no matter what happened it becomes an Alex Smith sucks/Alex Smith is good battle. Also, some people are just a little bit more analytical than you obviously. Some people look at all the factors in a game. I haven't heard anyone say that the TO's were fine. But the game is over so it is time to get ready for next week. Nobody should apologize for being an optimistic fan.

Seems like there's more Alex Smith fans than 49er fans.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by eastbay9erfn:

Damn pathetic........

Seems like there's more Alex Smith fans than 49er fans.

Come on that's bulls**t man. Most of us were pissed as heck at him after the first INT but after that he moved the O a lot better than we've seen a QB move it in a long time, and he did it against a D that made the offensive juggernaut that is the colts turn the ball over in the superbowl. NO has one of the best defenses as far as take aways in the league and a great offense. Smith lead the team to what should have been OT. If you aren't willing to say he played well tonight you definitely have an agenda bro. He's not the reason we lost and if we had won it would've been because of him and Gore.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the drop by VD down the middle. It was one of the best passes I've seen all year, perfected placed right over the defender but VD could hang out. I was impressed he aired it out like that and was on the money. And the 2 minute drive/2 point conversion was pure perfection. I hadn't been that happy in a long time while watching the nights. Tonites performance by Alex was a wake up call to a lot of haters....the kid can play, and play damn well. Besides the 1 INT- Great Job Alex!
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for TheXFactor.
Originally posted by domingo360:

I agree.

It was Alex's fault that Baas snapped the ball over his head and that the saints scored a TD on the ensuing drive.

It was Alex's fault that Delanie Walker didn't secure the ball in the red zone.

It was Alex's fault that Philip Adams muffed that punt.

It was Alex's fault that we couldn't recover the ball on Bush's muffed punt.

Etc.

exactly these haters will never shut the hell up ever
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm really proud of Alex, he really stepped up and showed why we took him #1 overall. Keep it up and we won't have to draft a Qb and you can get a nice new contract.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Sep 21, 2010 at 04:00:12 ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
I'm really proud of Alex, he really stepped up and showed why we took him #1 overall. Keep it up and we won't have to draft a Qb and you can get a nice new contract.

Agreed, but even if he keep's it up I'm not comfortable with Carr as a backup.
  • Veteran
Finally Smith looked like a legitimate NFL quarter back. Can he continue on this path is a question that we have to wait and see.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by mayo63:

Agreed, but even if he keep's it up I'm not comfortable with Carr as a backup.

T. Smith should be passing Carr on the depth chart pretty soon.

• B650
  • Veteran
He played well, but we'll see how he performs the next couple of weeks on the road. It's nice that he's on pace for 4,000 yards and all, but he has to keep it up and win games not just at home, but on the road.
Originally posted by B650:
He played well, but we'll see how he performs the next couple of weeks on the road. It's nice that he's on pace for 4,000 yards and all, but he has to keep it up and win games not just at home, but on the road.

I agree. I pretty much lost my faith in Alex after too many years of poor play. You can make as many excuses as you want for him, but no QB has ever been given this much time to develop. He had a great game yesterday, but he has to show me more than one game to get me to change my mind. More like an entire season.

That being said, Alex Smith developing into a solid starter and leader would not be the worst thing that could happen.

In the end, loosing hurts. I don't have any problem with some fans trying to put a positive outlook on what has been a disappointing season so far.

In your logic maybe we should also blame Patrick Willis. After all, he leads the defense and it was the D who allowed the game winning FG.

Win as a team, loose as a team.

Definition of a sports fan:

sports fan

noun
an enthusiastic devotee of sports
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
Originally posted by B650:

I agree. I pretty much lost my faith in Alex after too many years of poor play. You can make as many excuses as you want for him, but no QB has ever been given this much time to develop. He had a great game yesterday, but he has to show me more than one game to get me to change my mind. More like an entire season.

That being said, Alex Smith developing into a solid starter and leader would not be the worst thing that could happen.

In the end, loosing hurts. I don't have any problem with some fans trying to put a positive outlook on what has been a disappointing season so far.

The problem is that he'll make a bonehead throw like the one he made to Gore that was intercepted and make you want to give up on the guy, then he'll come back and drive the team down and score in the final seconds and make you change your mind. I really want the guy to succeed. He wants to win. I don't know. The guy seems to have Jim Kelly-like luck or something. All his tipped passes seem to go right to the other team. It's pretty crazy. I must admit though, he showed me something against the Saints. That was an impressive performance considering the team around him was trying to give the game away. I like the improvement. It's slow, but I can definitely see him improving. He's on pace for 4,000 yards so far (I know, it's early), but I think this has been the best start he's ever had, despite only throwing for 1 TD and 4 INTs. Half of the INTs weren't really his fault.

We'll see though. He did this at home, you have to keep that in mind. I want to see him do this on the road in a tough environment, like Arrowhead. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you can't win on the road, you're only going to go 8-8. You have to find a way to win. I remember back in the day the 49ers won something like 18 straight road games, a record. Now that's when you know you have a good QB, for sure. If he plays well in K.C. and Atlanta, then we might be on to something.
He did play a very good game. But he must win the game to be considered the best performance ever. IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone