LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

Can we get Alex Smith a Greg Jennings of his own?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'm hearing whining and crying about how bad our weapons are when we have the best tight end in the game and Michael Crabtree.

Who combined dropped the 2nd most passes of any other two player tandem on any one team last year, even though Crabtree didn't play almost have the season. Adding a third receiver to that stat (Ginn for the 49ers even though he was on another team) the 9ers are first in dropped passes.

I agree VD is the best TE in the league but he also lead the NFL in drops last year (tied with Dwayne Bowe). Jennings makes plays that makes his QB look even better when they are not perfect. We don't have anyone that does that with any regularity. I believe Crabtree will make catches like that eventually, he did it all day at Tech, but so far none of these receivers have been reliable play makers.

Our weapons aren't bad. They are full of potential. They just have to execute consistently.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
I'm hearing whining and crying about how bad our weapons are when we have the best tight end in the game and Michael Crabtree.

Who combined dropped the 2nd most passes of any other two player tandem on any one team last year, even though Crabtree didn't play almost have the season. Adding a third receiver to that stat (Ginn for the 49ers even though he was on another team) the 9ers are first in dropped passes.

I agree VD is the best TE in the league but he also lead the NFL in drops last year (tied with Dwayne Bowe). Jennings makes plays that makes his QB look even better when they are not perfect. We don't have anyone that does that with any regularity. I believe Crabtree will make catches like that eventually, he did it all day at Tech, but so far none of these receivers have been reliable play makers.

Our weapons aren't bad. They are full of potential. They just have to execute consistently.

Early in their career receivers tend to struggle with drops and mental errors. It happened to Greg Jennings too. Last season was the year his drop rate (4.67) finally became a good number.

It's funny that I tell Alex supporters to be patient.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 16, 2010 at 12:33:13 ]

Early in their career receivers tend to struggle with drops and mental errors. It happened to Greg Jennings too. Last season was the year his drop rate (4.67) finally became a good number.

Well that's the point. Alex is nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be. It's magnified in a big way when he does everything exactly right and they don't catch the ball and it doesn't help that they never seem to help out their QB when it's not a perfect pass the same way other team's receivers do.

Put Alex on The Saints and he's no Drew Brees but his QB rating would be at least 10 points higher. Brees throws the ball up there all the time and his receivers go get it. Covered, in traffic, overthrown, those guys come down with the catch more often than not.

Well that's the point. Alex is nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be. It's magnified in a big way when he does everything exactly right and they don't catch the ball and it doesn't help that they never seem to help out their QB when it's not a perfect pass the same way other team's receivers do.

Put Alex on The Saints and he's no Drew Brees but his QB rating would be at least 10 points higher. Brees throws the ball up there all the time and his receivers go get it. Covered, in traffic, overthrown, those guys come down with the catch more often than not.

Exactly. Our receivers aren't good, and haven't been for a very long time. We need a better receiver coach, that seems crystal clear at this point.

He had two dropped pass last Sunday that I remember. The dump off to Crabs. Not his fault, and the slight overthrow to Norris. His fault. Blocking fullbacks are what they are. You have to have a precise throw.

The pick 6 was a horrible throw and even if Crabtree and him were on the same page it still was going to be way too high (probally tipped away though). You can't overthrow someone like that on a quick out. They don't have the reaction time to make acrobatic catches.

I disagree about him being 10 points better on the Saints. I'd argue that Brees makes those guys into good receivers. Devery Henderson was a bust with horrible hands. Marquis Colston was a 7th round pick. Lance Moore is another nobody.

Just look at Indy. All their receivers go down and all of the sudden Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie look like studs. Do you really think they'd be credible threats for us? Hell no they wouldn't. Great QB's raise the bar.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 16, 2010 at 21:41:47 ]
Share 49ersWebzone