There are 160 users in the forums

Coaching Wasn't Nearly as Bad as You Think!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by dugo:
I keep hearing how the 9ers came out Sunday and dominated Seattle for about 25 minutes of the 1st half..... I disagree.. we had Seattle on their heels several times and still could not deliver....IMO that's not dominating. Bad play calling by coaches, plays not getting in on time, results in bad play..of course players must execute,and they didn't for sure and they share the blame. But did our coaches put them in the best situation to succeed,playing to the players STRENGTHS. NO, Singletary/Raye put them a situation to have momentum swing while playing on the ROAD.I understand in taking a gamble, but this isn't poker where you can bluff As a head coach its Singletary's responsibility to know his team and what it can and cannot do. He has tried over and over again in his stubborn pride to make this team a physical run and run it again team.But he doesn't have all the types of players needed for that philosophy. He does have the talent to create mis-matches, mis -directions confuse a defense by shifting the line, putting players in motion. Spread the defense by using more then 2 wide receiver sets. But that would take imagination.....To me, the Coaching was as bad as I thought in Seattle!
That being said I'm still pulling for Singletary,(definitely think RAYE should go!!) Since mooch He's the best coach we had. I'll continue to to hope the best for Singletary.. But as it was said in another thread...its time for results....

Defense dominating
SEA first 3 possessions was 9 plays total. INT and 11 yards total

Offense mostly dominating
We were dominating whenever OC Raye was not required to make a gameday decision. Our script ended around the 2 min warning in the 2nd QTR. 3 plays after we went off script Smith threw his INT that bounced off Crabtree.

I posted this in the Raye/Memory thread but it is shocking when you look at it.

The 49ers run 15 scripted plays and go off script for 3rd downs and red zone plays.

Lets play CONNECT THE DOTS WITH JIMMY RAYE

San Francisco 49ers at 14:51 SFO SEA
(scripted#1)1st and 10 at SEA 29 F.Gore up the middle to SEA 25 for 4 yards (C.Cole).
(scripted#2)2nd and 6 at SEA 25 A.Smith pass short left to Del.Walker pushed ob at SEA 18 for 7 yards (K.Jennings).
(REDZONE = off script....WAKE UP JIMMY RAYE) Timeout #1 by SF at 13:39.
1st and 10 at SEA 18 F.Gore up the middle to SEA 15 for 3 yards (R.Bryant).
2nd and 2 at SEA 10 A.Smith pass short left to M.Norris to SEA 8 for 2 yards (L.Milloy).
1st and 8 at SEA 8 A.Smith pass short right to J.Morgan for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Seattle challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED. A.Smith pass incomplete short right to J.Morgan.
2nd and 8 at SEA 8 F.Gore left guard to SEA 6 for 2 yards (C.Cole).
3rd and 6 at SEA 6 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short left to F.Gore to SEA 5 for 1 yard (K.Jennings).
4th and 5 at SEA 5 J.Nedney 23 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Jennings, Holder-A.Lee. 3 0
J.Nedney kicks 64 yards from SF 30 to SEA 6. L.Washington to SEA 47 for 41 yards (J.Nedney).
DRIVE TOTALS: SF 3, SEA 0, 8 plays, 32 yards, 4:35 elapsed

San Francisco 49ers at 8:11 SFO SEA
(scripted#3)1st and 10 at SF 10 F.Gore right tackle to SF 13 for 3 yards (C.Cole, D.Hawthorne).
(scripted#4)2nd and 7 at SF 13 A.Smith pass short right to V.Davis to SF 21 for 8 yards (L.Milloy).
(scripted#5)1st and 10 at SF 21 A.Smith pass short left to J.Morgan to SF 29 for 8 yards (E.Thomas).
(scripted#6)2nd and 2 at SF 29 F.Gore right tackle to SF 30 for 1 yard (A.Curry).
3rd and 1 at SF 30 A.Smith pass short left to Del.Walker to SF 44 for 14 yards (E.Thomas).
(scripted#7)1st and 10 at SF 44 A.Smith pass short middle to V.Davis to SEA 47 for 9 yards (L.Tatupu).
(scripted#8)2nd and 1 at SEA 47 F.Gore up the middle to SEA 44 for 3 yards (D.Davis, B.Mebane).
(scripted#9)1st and 10 at SEA 44 A.Smith pass short right to F.Gore to SEA 35 for 9 yards (L.Tatupu; D.Hawthorne).
(scripted#10)2nd and 1 at SEA 35 F.Gore left tackle to SEA 29 for 6 yards (C.Cole).
(scripted#11)1st and 10 at SEA 29 F.Gore right end to SEA 33 for -4 yards (E.Thomas).
(scripted#12)2nd and 19 at SEA 38 A.Smith pass short left to F.Gore pushed ob at SEA 15 for 23 yards (K.Jennings).
End of Period
2nd Quarter Play by Play
1st and 10 at SEA 15 A.Smith pass incomplete short left to M.Crabtree (K.Jennings).
2nd and 10 at SEA 15 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short left to F.Gore pushed ob at SEA 6 for 9 yards (A.Curry).
3rd and 1 at SEA 6 F.Gore left tackle to SEA 6 for no gain (R.Bryant, E.Thomas).
Timeout #2 by SF at 13:41.
4th and 1 at SEA 6 A.Smith pass incomplete short left to M.Norris.
DRIVE TOTALS: SF 3, SEA 0, 15 plays, 89 yards, 9:35 elapsed

San Francisco 49ers at 12:11 SFO SEA
(scripted#13)1st and 10 at SEA 37 A.Smith sacked at SEA 44 for -7 yards (R.Bryant). FUMBLES (R.Bryant) [R.Bryant], recovered by SF-A.Davis at SEA 41. A.Davis to SEA 41 for no gain (L.Tatupu).
(scripted#14)2nd and 14 at SEA 41 F.Gore up the middle to SEA 38 for 3 yards (J.Siavii).
3rd and 6 at SEA 33 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short right to V.Davis to SEA 28 for 5 yards (J.Babineaux, L.Tatupu).
Timeout #3 by SF at 09:26.
4th and 1 at SEA 28 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short left to M.Crabtree pushed ob at SEA 19 for 9 yards (J.Babineaux).
1st and 10 at SEA 19 Del.Walker right end pushed ob at SEA 9 for 10 yards (D.Hawthorne). Official measurement.
1st and 9 at SEA 9 A.Smith pass short right to Del.Walker to SEA 3 for 6 yards (L.Tatupu).
2nd and 3 at SEA 3 F.Gore left guard to SEA 2 for 1 yard (E.Thomas, C.Clemons).
3rd and 2 at SEA 2 M.Norris up the middle to SEA 1 for 1 yard (L.Tatupu; C.Clemons).
4th and 6 at SEA 6 J.Nedney 23 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Jennings, Holder-A.Lee. 6 0
J.Nedney kicks 56 yards from SF 30 to SEA 14. L.Washington to SEA 31 for 17 yards (P.Adams, R.Jean Francois). PENALTY on SF, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 31.
DRIVE TOTALS: SF 6, SEA 0, 9 plays, 34 yards, 5:48 elapsed

San Francisco 49ers at 2:26 SFO SEA
(scripted#15)1st and 10 at SF 20 (Shotgun) F.Gore right guard to SF 27 for 7 yards (L.Milloy). PENALTY on SF-J.Morgan, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SF 20 - No Play.

15 scripted plays done

1st and 20 at SF 10 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short left to M.Crabtree to SF 13 for 3 yards (M.Trufant) [A.Curry].
Timeout #1 by SEA at 01:53.
2nd and 17 at SF 13 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short middle to V.Davis to SF 25 for 12 yards (L.Tatupu, J.Babineaux) [C.Clemons].
Timeout #2 by SEA at 01:45.
3rd and 5 at SF 25 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass short middle intended for M.Crabtree INTERCEPTED by J.Babineaux at SF 33. J.Babineaux to SF 13 for 20 yards (A.Davis).
DRIVE TOTALS: SF 6, SEA 7, 2 plays, 25 yards, 0:53 elapsed

Yeah I hear what you're saying..the defense looked AWESOME for sure and the offense had Seattle on their heels and looked really good....but couldn't put them away.The offense had its opportunities to dominate Seattle to take them out of their game plan and force Seattle to play into our defense. But the few plays that mattered fell way short, not once but 3 times. To me its just what happened... the team from the top down played bad when it mattered most....I really think and believe the team will bounce back....

[ Edited by dugo on Sep 15, 2010 at 11:27:42 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Coaching and organization is a complete mess. Especially on the offensive side. The offense looks like a mess on the field, and sounds like a mess off the field.
Giving a scrub like Norris the ball on 2 crucial redzone plays is on the coaching staff. He sucks and shouldn't be expected to score TD's. Leave that to skilled player like Gore and Vernon.
Originally posted by dugo:
I keep hearing how the 9ers came out Sunday and dominated Seattle for about 25 minutes of the 1st half..... I disagree.. we had Seattle on their heels several times and still could not deliver....IMO that's not dominating. Bad play calling by coaches, plays not getting in on time, results in bad play..of course players must execute,and they didn't for sure and they share the blame. But did our coaches put them in the best situation to succeed,playing to the players STRENGTHS. NO, Singletary/Raye put them a situation to have momentum swing while playing on the ROAD.I understand in taking a gamble, but this isn't poker where you can bluff As a head coach its Singletary's responsibility to know his team and what it can and cannot do. He has tried over and over again in his stubborn pride to make this team a physical run and run it again team.But he doesn't have all the types of players needed for that philosophy. He does have the talent to create mis-matches, mis -directions confuse a defense by shifting the line, putting players in motion. Spread the defense by using more then 2 wide receiver sets. But that would take imagination.....To me, the Coaching was as bad as I thought in Seattle!
That being said I'm still pulling for Singletary,(definitely think RAYE should go!!) Since mooch He's the best coach we had. I'll continue to to hope the best for Singletary.. But as it was said in another thread...its time for results....

All the above
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Giving a scrub like Norris the ball on 2 crucial redzone plays is on the coaching staff. He sucks and shouldn't be expected to score TD's. Leave that to skilled player like Gore and Vernon.

• krizay
  • Veteran
All I have to say is this....

We go for on 4th down 3 times with a 3 point lead. Would've gone a 4th time had it not been for a false start. Yet We punt the ball on 4th & 5 from their 40 down 28-6. and on 4th & 9 from their 43.

Now those clearly aren't the reasons we lost but couple that with all the late play calls. You can clearly see that our coaching was bad!
Originally posted by krizay:
All I have to say is this....

We go for on 4th down 3 times with a 3 point lead. Would've gone a 4th time had it not been for a false start. Yet We punt the ball on 4th & 5 from their 40 down 28-6. and on 4th & 9 from their 43.

Now those clearly aren't the reasons we lost but couple that with all the late play calls. You can clearly see that our coaching was bad!

I think you can go a few more levels down the ladder of fundamental game prep to see that our coaching is bad.
If you read the OP the title of this thread is misleading. I stated at the begining that the coaching wasn't good, but that ultimately the Players lost this game. We left 21 points on the board as well as played undiciplined on defense.
OP was right. It wasn't nearly as bad as you think. IT WAS WORSE.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
OP was right. It wasn't nearly as bad as you think. IT WAS WORSE.

lol true. id go on the record to say while alex and other players stunk, AS players they're not as bad as we think. coaches' chance to prove this mon nite.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If you read the OP the title of this thread is misleading. I stated at the begining that the coaching wasn't good, but that ultimately the Players lost this game. We left 21 points on the board as well as played undiciplined on defense.

But tell me if you agree with this....

Whatever was working we strayed away from in the first half, i.e. used D. Walker in most of the first half. then never in the second. That was the coaches

And above all, just curious, do you agree or not, that if your put in the correct position for success, and then u fail, is one thing. But if your not even put in the right position, and say make best with whatever we can do, is that the players fault?
Thanks for this post. It certainly felt like the sky was falling, but your points are valid. Even if we lose to the Saints, I'm hoping not to see a repeat performance.

The miscommunication between Smith and the receivers, the misguided passes to wide open receivers.... all that has to go, or its going to be a very long and sad season.....

[ Edited by kemp_j on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:46:37 ]
the plays they had scripted before the game worked awesome, seattle couldnt stop us on the first few drives and the whole team looked sharp. after the scripted plays ran out our coaching staff showed off their in game coaching skills...
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Whatever was working we strayed away from in the first half, i.e. used D. Walker in most of the first half. then never in the second. That was the coaches

And above all, just curious, do you agree or not, that if your put in the correct position for success, and then u fail, is one thing. But if your not even put in the right position, and say make best with whatever we can do, is that the players fault?

We were down 2 scores with an entire half to play yet Raye called plays as if there was only 7 minutes left in the game. All we needed to do was stick to the original game plan, score in the 3rd and put the pressure back on Seattle.

What do you guys think is more important:

Pre-Game Plan ala Raye

or

In-Game Adjustments ala Seattle's OC?
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

We were down 2 scores with an entire half to play yet Raye called plays as if there was only 7 minutes left in the game. All we needed to do was stick to the original game plan, score in the 3rd and put the pressure back on Seattle.

What do you guys think is more important:

Pre-Game Plan ala Raye

or

In-Game Adjustments ala Seattle's OC?
The sad part of that is that Jeremy Bates joined the Seattle staff at the beginning of the summer, IIRC. He didn't need two years to get a game plan ready.
Share 49ersWebzone