LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 313 users in the forums

Coaching Wasn't Nearly as Bad as You Think!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
It might not have been horrible, but there is still no imagination, and SEA knew what was coming..

I-formation = 1. run up the gut 2. play action 3. dink and dunk. - So when you crowd the box expecting a run, whethere we pass or not, its easy for the defense to react to the short stuff..

shotgun, 4WR set = even in this formation, the routes designed are horrible!! you have 2-3 WR running across the field 2-10yards resulting in short passes. 1 guy will run deep but a safety and corner is there for the most part to take that away..

to vanilla IMHO.. Look at the way some of the explosive offenses routes are designed for chuncks, while ours is designed for 5yards.. horrible

They knew what was coming because the dumba** front office trades a player who knows ST and Offense plays 10 days before we play a division rival...they deserve some of the blame...
  • bret
  • Veteran
People always talk about our lack of a vertical threat and the fact is the pass to Ginn in the 4th quarter was the only attempt to stretch the field vertically.

But at least as important was this: 16 of 17 Gore runs were between the tackles. With no attempt to spread the defense horizontally, the defense could crowd the box with 8 men consistently. No matter how great our linemen mano-a-mano they aren't going to get consistent push against 8 man lines. Coaching lost this game and without changes will cost us the season.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by bret:
Excellent Don Banks/SI article on Mark Sanchez, Rex Ryan and the Jets. You might think this belongs in the NFL News, but if you substitute the names Alex Smith, Mike Singletary and the 49ers, this article becomes very interesting and might make you think about the role of coaching philosophy in our situation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/09/17/sanchez/index.html

The members on this forum that are actually open minded and not blaming everything on Smith have been saying this for a while now, especially after week 1. Singletary's philosophy of run the ball no matter what and play "great" defense. The problem is we can't run the ball and our secondary SUCKS! Eventually Singletary will have to realize that if he wants to win games he needs to put more points on the board than our defense allows the opposing offense to put up. If that means opening it up to a spread offense(which the 49ers excelled in last year) then so be it. If I recall once we went to a spread style offense Gore actually had some decent runs out of the shotgun.

The coaches are going to call the plays that they think is going to give us the best chance of being successful. We have to be able to run the ball good to win games period. This season is showing why you cannot relay on majority passing games. Has there been questionable play calls Yes because the play failed. had that pass to Norris been caught then most would called raye genius. At this point the players have to execute and relying on 2 rookies to protect Alex is going to be a problem for a good portion of the season.
Looking at the design of the running plays Indy ran tonight was awesome. They actually had plays where they FOOLED the NYG defense. Imagine that. They actually considered it a success if they fooled someone. That shouldn't count. It should only counts when you hit someone in the mouth. Will Peyton Manning ever learn? SHEEEEESH!

[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 20, 2010 at 08:14:37 ]
Originally posted by bret:
People always talk about our lack of a vertical threat and the fact is the pass to Ginn in the 4th quarter was the only attempt to stretch the field vertically.

But at least as important was this: 16 of 17 Gore runs were between the tackles. With no attempt to spread the defense horizontally, the defense could crowd the box with 8 men consistently. No matter how great our linemen mano-a-mano they aren't going to get consistent push against 8 man lines. Coaching lost this game and without changes will cost us the season.
Aww i saw this one play that I loved, and wondered why can't we do anything like this.

It was the 4th qt, with Schaub in 3rd or 4th and 10, but to convert the OC called a shotgun pass play where they lined up w WR;s but kept two backs in to block just in case the line didnt hold. and i'll be damned the back sacrificed his body for the hit from the linebacker, and there was the first down.

Dont or cant our coaches think of s**t like this.
FYI.....

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/09/20/drama-kings
  • dj43
At this point the best course of action is to wait until tonight to see if last week was an aberration or a warning sign.
Originally posted by highway49:
FYI.....

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/09/20/drama-kings

So the jist of the article is that there is plenty of blame to go around.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Doesn't anyone else get it? It doesn't matter how many times Alex threw the ball. I don't care if he threw 100 times in the first half.

It's the type of passes he's throwing. How throws went farther than 15 yds? How many went farther than 20 yds?

Last Sunday we saw the SAME OFFENSE from last season. The coaching staff did NOTHING to change this offense, it's the exact same from early last season.

The Niners need to commit to being a spread style offense, and they need to do it quickly. If they keep with the power running game and short passing offense, this team is headed for 5-11, 7-9 at best.
I thought maybe Raye/Sing learned something last season. Everybody saw how this team responded after changing the offense last season, everybody but them.

Yes Please!!!!

What a concept huh? Using an offense that takes advantage of the players you have.
Nah, forget that. We're gonna line up I formation with 2 TEs and run and use short passes to keep the defense off balance.
Then, after we're down by 21 points, we'll start using 3 wide sets and shotgun formations to take advantage of our weapons. Only problem is, the defense will be expecting this and our O-line will never be able to hold up under the constant blitzing/pressure.

Next weeks gameplan, REPEAT LAST WEEKS PLAN.

Our HC and OC are jokes. They think this team should be able to impose it's will on ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

Message to Singletary, "EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT YOUR OFFENSE IS GOING TO DO. YOUR OFFENSIVE LINE IS NOT NEARLY GOOD ENOUGH TO RUN ON ANY AND EVERY TEAM.
YOU HAVE THE BEST TE IN THE LEAGUE. YOU HAVE ONE OF THE BEST RBs IN THE LEAGUE THAT CAN CATCH THE BALL OUT OF THE BACKFIELD. YOU HAVE A QB THAT PLAYS MUCH BETTER OUT OF SHOTGUN/SPREAD FORMATIONS. YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD UP AND COMING POSSESSION WR. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE THEM!

Lets not forget Walker and Westbrook either. Back-ups that can cause mis matches in the passing game. Use them. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE YOUR WEAPONS.

Completely agree with this ... but this would require someone to actually think outside the box (I hate to use that overused phrase). Raye and Singletary are THE most unimaginative coaching pairing you can have. Martz in Chicago.... all I'm going to say. Martz will adjust to you if you force him to adjust.

It doesn't really matter because in 3 weeks when the 49ers lose their 4th straight, people will be calling for Singletary's head. I think the 49ers let him prod through the season with a losing record and he'll be sacked by the end. I hope Jed is seriously looking at other coaches. We really need someone who has a football mind and not just an inspirational leader. We need an offensive genius because that's where the NFL has been going for a while.

I know - I'm a Debbie Downer, but honestly, I can't see this offense changing much. I can't see Raye changing much. I can't see things being different because Singletary is in complete denial - just like he was last year when Rachal kept getting beat. Just like when no one would challenge him about the line's inability to "dominate". If I'm Crabtree why do I get excited about an offense like this? I don't. You take one of the most prolific receivers in NCAA history and you make him a NFL down-field blocker. OF COURSE Crabtree is hard to motivate.

But again, until there's a sweep of the offensive coaches it won't change.

Good luck tonight 49ers but I can't see much hope over the next few weeks.
We will never know but I would bet that the length of Crabtree's holdout was to some degree to assure that if he were going to spend the first five years of his pro career as a downfield blocker, he was going to get paid very well to do it. There is no room in this offense for a pass catching playmaker...of course that assumes Crabtree can do in the pros what he did in college.

My vote is to bring in Coach Gruden!! BRING THE WEST COAST O back to its home in SF!!! this Coaching staff is JV they couldnt out smart high school teams!

[ Edited by SY9er8 on Sep 20, 2010 at 12:55:58 ]
Share 49ersWebzone