There are 153 users in the forums

Eric Davis: Problem is with play management

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Mex49:
How quckly we forget the ownership drill.

Grow up b***h

???

?

ownership drill is for when communication goes out. if he can hear them then he is still supposed to do what they say. i'm sure he would get in trouble if he just went renagade with the offense when communication is working.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
It isn't fair to just pin this loss on one player. This was a complete meltdown from top to bottom.

Mike Singletary did a piss poor job preparing his team for this game, and a piss poor time in clock management.

Our OC can't get plays in on time and when he does they're incredibly vanilla. He's too old to come up with anything new and exciting or to look at teams and players weaknesses and take advantage of them and to analyze what's going on in the game and make adjustments.

Alex Smith sucked, even though he wasn't getting any help from his WR's he still was very innacurate.

Crabtree is turning into a little diva b***h. It's so disappointing to watch. I thought this might cause him to wake the f**k up and realize he needs to work but based on his post game comments he refuses to accept any wrongdoing for his laziness.

Our offensive line continues to struggle. Although I'm pretty sure at this point it has to do with Jimmy Raye not getting the play in on time enough for Alex to change the protections and/or the plays being incredibly predictable.

Morgan just has no body control. Yeah the pass was a little high but a legit receiver should know how to get two feet down on a play like that.

Clements was getting torched.

No pass rush.

In fact this game was so ugly it is incredibly hard to evaluate anybody. Just a complete team failure.

And in complete team failures, there is no other option but to put it squarely on Singletary's shoulders. His team came out woefully unprepared for this game. His motivational speeches aren't keeping the team from fracturing apart. His handpicked offensive coordinator is not an nfl caliber OC and as a head coach who's going to need to rely so much on his coaches to make up for his lack of X and O knowledge he needs to do a better job than that. We're still struggling from the same stupid mistakes that all the good teams just take for granted that they're going to do without even thinking about it. It's so so so frustrating that we can never seem to get over the hump to becoming a good team.

I really like this post. IMO, it's the most accurate analysis so far. Just curious. Would you be willing to fire Sing right now if we truly had a shot at bringing in Gruden/Holmgren/Cohwer?

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 12, 2010 at 21:05:11 ]
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
If you don't have a play.....call your own damn play!!

If you don't like what the coach calls....call your own damn play!!

I don't give a s**t if you get yelled at, it's better than wasting 3 timeouts and getting a delay of game penalty on the 1 yard line.

You're the f**king QB and supposed leader of the team, stop being a p***y and act like it.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
It isn't fair to just pin this loss on one player. This was a complete meltdown from top to bottom.

Mike Singletary did a piss poor job preparing his team for this game, and a piss poor time in clock management.

Our OC can't get plays in on time and when he does they're incredibly vanilla. He's too old to come up with anything new and exciting or to look at teams and players weaknesses and take advantage of them and to analyze what's going on in the game and make adjustments.

Alex Smith sucked, even though he wasn't getting any help from his WR's he still was very innacurate.

Crabtree is turning into a little diva b***h. It's so disappointing to watch. I thought this might cause him to wake the f**k up and realize he needs to work but based on his post game comments he refuses to accept any wrongdoing for his laziness.

Our offensive line continues to struggle. Although I'm pretty sure at this point it has to do with Jimmy Raye not getting the play in on time enough for Alex to change the protections and/or the plays being incredibly predictable.

Morgan just has no body control. Yeah the pass was a little high but a legit receiver should know how to get two feet down on a play like that.

Clements was getting torched.

No pass rush.

In fact this game was so ugly it is incredibly hard to evaluate anybody. Just a complete team failure.

And in complete team failures, there is no other option but to put it squarely on Singletary's shoulders. His team came out woefully unprepared for this game. His motivational speeches aren't keeping the team from fracturing apart. His handpicked offensive coordinator is not an nfl caliber OC and as a head coach who's going to need to rely so much on his coaches to make up for his lack of X and O knowledge he needs to do a better job than that. We're still struggling from the same stupid mistakes that all the good teams just take for granted that they're going to do without even thinking about it. It's so so so frustrating that we can never seem to get over the hump to becoming a good team.

I really like this post. IMO, it's the most accurate analysis so far. Just curious. Would you be willing to fire Sing right now if we truly had a shot at bringing in Gruden/Holmgren/Cohwer?

I would. And promote Sullivan to OC. Jimmy is the worst... he really is. It's unbelievable how terrible our plays are and how predictable we are.

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Sep 12, 2010 at 21:16:51 ]
Why do I feel like we are the only team that is incapable of making adjustments throughout the game.....?
I like this, someone has to be willing to challenge Raye's pathetic offense, and it shows Alex has the balls to do it. Hopefully Sing is paying attention, because something has to change sooner than later.
Originally posted by Janitor:
If you don't have a play.....call your own damn play!!

If you don't like what the coach calls....call your own damn play!!

I don't give a s**t if you get yelled at, it's better than wasting 3 timeouts and getting a delay of game penalty on the 1 yard line.

You're the f**king QB and supposed leader of the team, stop being a p***y and act like it.

Thank You. How about you act like you have a set and call the play you want to call if the GD plays aren't coming in. Alex Smith has no sack. He is a timid mouse who does NOT belong on the football field on Sundays. He has NO killer instinct. He is SOFT. Tha fact that Sing stood behind this milktoast all offseason and ignored all other options at QB is a indictment on his decision making. Sing wants tough guys, and then chooses a sissy to lead them.
Alex said it: "the plays were coming in too slowly". We got two guys who aren't quick thinkers , bigmike(BM) and JR. Both are incredibly slow to think , then must discuss it, and finally get the plays in way late. Improve this by sending BM home, to coach at Baylor, and send JR with him. Let alex call his own plays, all the two minute drill, and i guarantee you will never see as embarrassing game again as you saw today. Fire 'em both...Monday would be a good time.
Jimmy Raye:

"What are we gonna run........ Um........ you know....... you know the play..... the play that I think would benefit us the most at the moment....... would undoubtedly be some kind of run........ right now....... FB dive looks like the best option...... Norris is a special player......... he see's the field so well........."

Ref:

Delay of game........
id he mention that not only did the plays come i slowly. they sucked as well!

Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Jimmy Raye:

"What are we gonna run........ Um........ you know....... you know the play..... the play that I think would benefit us the most at the moment....... would undoubtedly be some kind of run........ right now....... FB dive looks like the best option...... Norris is a special player......... he see's the field so well........."

Ref:

Delay of game........

One of the best post of all time.....LOL
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Jimmy Raye:

Ref:

Delay of game........

One of the best post of all time.....LOL

• dj43
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith is the problem, not the headsets, not the play calling.

It pisses me the f**k off that so many people cannot realize this!!

It may be a combination of playcalling coming in late and Alex not realizing the time.

Did you guys notice before the 2 minute warning in the 2nd half that Alex had no awareness of the timeclock?

The plays not coming in ARE NOT AN EXCUSE!!! That is why he practices what to do in those situations in drills such as the ownership drills. As for the play clock... I am seriously baffled at how Alex just doesn't understand when the time is running out. The noise in the stadium does not impede him from viewing the large clock that is in front of him across the field.

I'm not buying that bulls**t! A good, not even a great, but a good QB knows how to handle those situations.
If you look at the game again, you will see Smith standing back from the huddle waiting for the plays to come in time and time again. When the team got to the line, there was usually less than 8-10 seconds in which to get the play off. That eliminates any chance to audible out of the call from Raye.

Now compare that to Hasselback who had the team SET with 10-12 seconds on the play clock with plenty of time to read the defense and check to a play that would work.

Raye was giving Smith no time to adjust plays most of the time because it was taking him too long to decide which play to run.

This is the same thing that happened last year. IT IS NO BETTER. This team will not improve offensively until they approach the game with a plan that can be bent and adjusted to fit the situation.
Anybody got a good recipe for crow?
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Why do I feel like we are the only team that is incapable of making adjustments throughout the game.....?

I don't think they're incapable, it's just that they don't want to. They want to run the ball and nothing will make them change that.
Share 49ersWebzone