There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Davis: Problem is with play management

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith is the problem, not the headsets, not the play calling.

as much as some here like to get on Raye and the players....he did call plays that could've been potential TDs and the players did their job and got open.

that Morgan Pass that was too high could've been placed elsewhere...

that Norris pass could've been elsewhere....I know that some here don't like us going to Norris...but the play worked, he was open for a TD.

that Ginn pass could've been elsewhere.... Ginn burnt his man... Raye drew up a play that worked and was a potential TD...but Alex missed his pass once again.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Method:
There was too much failure in this game. Just so f**king much. Alex needs to step it the f**k up, but those delay of game penalties were not on him.

cosigned. I think we should make Mike Johnson the playcaller

Huh? Did you read my post?

The play calling was terrible throughout the game. There's no f**king need for Moran Norris to ever run a FB dive on the goal line. There's no need for us to have 3 wasted timeouts over this same issue, and then f**king still have 2 or 3 delay of game penalties in the first f**king half. f**k.

Dude I agreed that's why I just said MAKE SOMEONE ELSE THE PLAY CALLER. WTF do you think I was talking about? Mike Johnson's the QB coach and the plan has been for him to surpass Raye in a few years anyway. Raye aint getting the job done so you might as well hand the torch to Johnson to see if he has anything.

I believe the smiley confused him.
There was too much failure in this game. Just so f**king much. Alex needs to step it the f**k up, but those delay of game penalties were not on him.

The play calling was terrible throughout the game. There's no f**king need for Moran Norris to ever run a FB dive on the goal line. There's no need for us to have 3 wasted timeouts over this same issue, and then f**king still have 2 or 3 delay of game penalties in the first f**king half. f**k.

Dude I agreed that's why I just said MAKE SOMEONE ELSE THE PLAY CALLER. WTF do you think I was talking about? Mike Johnson's the QB coach and the plan has been for him to surpass Raye in a few years anyway. Raye aint getting the job done so you might as well hand the torch to Johnson to see if he has anything.

Woops sorry, I quoted the wrong post lol

This is what I meant to quote:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Smith was s**t today, no doubt. But this thread isn't about Smith. Why does everything have to be about Smith (Meth,shj)
Mike John needs to be held accountable.

It could also be Jimmy Raye having zero urgency
playcalling sucks

jimmy raye sucks

secondary sucks

alex smith you suck too

looking forward to kansas city after going 0-2
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I am so tired of this s**t happening for the past 3-4 years with us. Whenever it's 4th and 1, our coaches sit on their asses thinking about if we should or shouldn't go for it and that's the difference between having to burn a TO and getting the play started.

None of this excuses Smith's s**tty play, however.

That is true, however, if the QB is standing there waiting for the coaches to pitch a dart at the dartboard to select a play, it DESTROYS the rhythm of the game. If the play comes in 10 seconds earlier, the QB has time to get to the line, analyze what he sees and check out of it if he sees something else in the defense. However, if the play comes in with only 10-12 seconds left on the play clock, he loses that opportunity. That seemed to be happening repeatedly today.

Tim Ryan, who is not a genius, mentioned on several occasions that the 49ers seemed to have no urgency to get plays in and force the defense to adjust. As a result, Seattle seemed to have the right defense for the situation most of the time.

This is all on the OC and staff...and this is the second year with the same problem.

It is worth a try. Johnson understands the importance of timing and rhythm for the QB. Time to see if he can do the job. Raye has had two years and he still has the same problem - he just doesn't appeared to be prepared very well or he just doesn't think quickly enough to make the correct selection.
Originally posted by Mex49:
How quckly we forget the ownership drill.

Grow up b***h

???

?

he cant ignore the calls and run a different play he can only do ownership if no headsets or in 2 min drill
I don't understand what's going on in the OC booth. Raye doesn't have plays ready? He has to wait to see if the play works and then thinks about a play? f**k man, have plays READY TO GO once you call the one that's being utilized, get back into the book and be ready.
mentioned this before, but Jimmy Raye talks slower than snakes sh*t.
I just don't understand how we make the same stupid mistakes. All off season we talked about silly miscue's. How do we STILL mess up time management? All time outs gone by the middle of the second quarter? I just don't get it.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
How quckly we forget the ownership drill.

Grow up b***h

???

?

he cant ignore the calls and run a different play he can only do ownership if no headsets or in 2 min drill

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if Smith shrugged off the plays being called it would be a one way ticket to the bench before the next down.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
mentioned this before, but Jimmy Raye talks slower than snakes sh*t.

maybe he talks like bill cosby
aaron rodgers had two picks today...
Originally posted by ninerbrand:
slow play calls cause inaccurate throws?

The only thing i would say to this is,ive heard that Alex has autonomy to change the play if he comes to the line of scrimmage and sees something he doesn't like. However if u got just a few seconds to get the play off then u are forced to run the play come hell or high water,even if u see its not gonna work. (or call timeout) lol.