There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OFFICIAL: Alex Smith Named as Team Captain (Video)

yikes
Originally posted by 49ERS_REFERENCE:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by Faithful:

you are aware this is a niner fan site right? is he not supposed to post videos about niners?

this

i was rolling my eyes at the blatant Alex nutlicking

Cheering for our favourite teams quarterback is nutlicking? I guess I've been nutlicking 50 guys every year then...and I'm a Boston Bruins fan too so that's like 70 different pairs of nuts
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I would think that the coach and players know better than any malcontent that posts here who most deserves to be a team captain.

Thats memphisTN
Originally posted by fly15:
I would think that the coach and players know better than any malcontent that posts here who most deserves to be a team captain.

Thats memphisTN

Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

why do you assume the criteria they use is who deserves it? You are defeated by your very own logic, IMO.

Did you not watch the video? I know you do not want to give Smith any credit for working hard to get better, but his team and coaches obviously feel differently about it. Go back and watch the video then realize that my logic was based on what the players and coach said. Thanks for your opinion though Shaj...it has been duly noted.

When have I ever stated that? You won't find one example. I think he's one of the hardest working people on our team. He's a class act too, and his attitude about his job and the sport is outstanding. He's also put principle above money by staying here for a big paycut. I've never stated he's not a hard worker, please don't put words in my mouth. His historical on the field production is what I've always had issue with.

Then get the f**k over it. He played better last season, and with the same OC this past offseason he has developed into a prominent leader and has demonstrated it so. To say he doesn't deserve it because of his historical production in the past, is irrelevant now.

getting hostile, are we? Go tell any GM in the league that a player's historical production is irrelevant, and you will get laughed out of the room so fast it will make your head swim.

finally came out from hiding under your covers did we?

Ok now you're changing what I said. Of course is history is RELEVANT in REGARDS to impression, and what kind of player he is. But not this year, not when he showed signs of swagger last year playing in only 10 1/2 games, and putting up numbers like he had been playing an entire injury free season. His past is irrelevant THIS year, in regards to being a team captain, and what he has shown throughout all of THIS year's offseason. His history isn't irrelevant in general, it's only irrelevant in this case. Because what he did in '05 '06 and '7 has absolutely no say in whether he should have Team Captain or not in the '10 football season.

I wasn't hiding, I was teaching a college class until 10PM last night.

agree to disagree on this argument. I think Sing wants to motivate Smith, you think Smith is getting rewarded for his wonderful results.

At least we're both happy he's a captain and hope he has a great year this year and beyond.

I don't about you, but I know what he's being rewarded for. Unlike you.

Mike Singletary Sep. 8th

“I didn’t name him a captain because he is a quarterback. I named him a captain because he exemplified this offseason the things that I wanted our captains to do,” Singletary said.

“Some leaders are more vocal than others, and some leaders are very exact in terms of this is who I am and I’m going to show by my actions. And everything he’s done this offseason, to me, exemplifies leadership and the character that we want on this football team.”

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/Offense-Looks-to-Finish-in-Seattle/1b593f3a-506f-4389-a332-869966b93d89

Proof is in the pudding. I knew what I was saying all along. I actually read what Sing said, and then some. You just used your formulated opinion while I used actual logics.

Don't like my, "criteria", take it up with Mike Singletary.

I think you make a good argument, because you're going off what you're reading. I think I make a good argument, because I'm going off what I'm seeing. Did Sing make Vernon Davis a captain because of his results? Definitely not. He did it to challenge him to rise to the occasion. I think he's doing the same with Smith. It worked once before, he hopes it will work again.

And you must know that what coaches tell the media is not always the truth, right? How many times have you heard a coach say "x player is not on the trading block" only to find out that a trade was in fact heavily in the works and the player was gone a couple days later. There are endless examples like that. If you feel Sing only preaches the gospel to the media, then maybe you are right. I think many times he has more motivational twists to what he is trying to do.

Well, I'd rather go off his words than just think of something completely different. Good stuff!
[quo
And you must know that what coaches tell the media is not always the truth, right? How many times have you heard a coach say "x player is not on the trading block" only to find out that a trade was in fact heavily in the works and the player was gone a couple days later. There are endless examples like that. [b] If you feel Sing only preaches the gospel to the media, then maybe you are right.[/b] I think many times he has more motivational twists to what he is trying to do.

No question, the biggest D-bag on here. Tell Mike Singletary to his face that he is not a man of principle and see how well you can hide behind your keyboard. You, sir, are an awful person and a fan of SUCK. You should be ashamed of yourself and if I were your executioner, I'd have zero remorse.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldman9er:
[quo
And you must know that what coaches tell the media is not always the truth, right? How many times have you heard a coach say "x player is not on the trading block" only to find out that a trade was in fact heavily in the works and the player was gone a couple days later. There are endless examples like that. [b] If you feel Sing only preaches the gospel to the media, then maybe you are right.[/b] I think many times he has more motivational twists to what he is trying to do.

No question, the biggest D-bag on here. Tell Mike Singletary to his face that he is not a man of principle and see how well you can hide behind your keyboard. You, sir, are an awful person and a fan of SUCK. You should be ashamed of yourself and if I were your executioner, I'd have zero remorse.

wow, what a low class post. Just lost a lot of respect for you. You should get banned for your last comment, frankly. That kind of threatening commentary has no place in this forum.

[ Edited by Shaj on Sep 11, 2010 at 08:32:43 ]
[quo

wow, what a low class post. Just lost a lot of respect for you. You should get banned for your last comment, frankly. That kind of threatening commentary has no place in this forum.

Maybe you should stick to the parking lot Shaj. Your NT conversations never seem to go very well.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
[quo

Maybe you should stick to the parking lot Shaj. Your NT conversations never seem to go very well.

Agreed.
[quo

You may disagree with Shaj - I know that I do as concerns Smith - but he is not one to personally attack people, Oldman. That was not called for.

I'm hoping that your post was simply fueled by likker (seeing the time stamp) and that you will retract soon.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
[quo

it's my fault. I'm never satisfied. I'm like that in my personal life too, so I never really appreciate anything, because I always think it can be better. It's my best and worst trait. It has allowed me to accomplish great things, but the flip side is I'm not easily made happy or satisfied. I wish I didn't get so emotionally vested as I do in these topics.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

why do you assume the criteria they use is who deserves it? You are defeated by your very own logic, IMO.

Did you not watch the video? I know you do not want to give Smith any credit for working hard to get better, but his team and coaches obviously feel differently about it. Go back and watch the video then realize that my logic was based on what the players and coach said. Thanks for your opinion though Shaj...it has been duly noted.

When have I ever stated that? You won't find one example. I think he's one of the hardest working people on our team. He's a class act too, and his attitude about his job and the sport is outstanding. He's also put principle above money by staying here for a big paycut. I've never stated he's not a hard worker, please don't put words in my mouth. His historical on the field production is what I've always had issue with.

Then get the f**k over it. He played better last season, and with the same OC this past offseason he has developed into a prominent leader and has demonstrated it so. To say he doesn't deserve it because of his historical production in the past, is irrelevant now.

getting hostile, are we? Go tell any GM in the league that a player's historical production is irrelevant, and you will get laughed out of the room so fast it will make your head swim.

finally came out from hiding under your covers did we?

Ok now you're changing what I said. Of course is history is RELEVANT in REGARDS to impression, and what kind of player he is. But not this year, not when he showed signs of swagger last year playing in only 10 1/2 games, and putting up numbers like he had been playing an entire injury free season. His past is irrelevant THIS year, in regards to being a team captain, and what he has shown throughout all of THIS year's offseason. His history isn't irrelevant in general, it's only irrelevant in this case. Because what he did in '05 '06 and '7 has absolutely no say in whether he should have Team Captain or not in the '10 football season.

I wasn't hiding, I was teaching a college class until 10PM last night.

agree to disagree on this argument. I think Sing wants to motivate Smith, you think Smith is getting rewarded for his wonderful results.

At least we're both happy he's a captain and hope he has a great year this year and beyond.

I don't about you, but I know what he's being rewarded for. Unlike you.

Mike Singletary Sep. 8th

“I didn’t name him a captain because he is a quarterback. I named him a captain because he exemplified this offseason the things that I wanted our captains to do,” Singletary said.

“Some leaders are more vocal than others, and some leaders are very exact in terms of this is who I am and I’m going to show by my actions. And everything he’s done this offseason, to me, exemplifies leadership and the character that we want on this football team.”

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/Offense-Looks-to-Finish-in-Seattle/1b593f3a-506f-4389-a332-869966b93d89

Proof is in the pudding. I knew what I was saying all along. I actually read what Sing said, and then some. You just used your formulated opinion while I used actual logics.

Don't like my, "criteria", take it up with Mike Singletary.

I think you make a good argument, because you're going off what you're reading. I think I make a good argument, because I'm going off what I'm seeing. Did Sing make Vernon Davis a captain because of his results? Definitely not. He did it to challenge him to rise to the occasion. I think he's doing the same with Smith. It worked once before, he hopes it will work again.

And you must know that what coaches tell the media is not always the truth, right? How many times have you heard a coach say "x player is not on the trading block" only to find out that a trade was in fact heavily in the works and the player was gone a couple days later. There are endless examples like that. If you feel Sing only preaches the gospel to the media, then maybe you are right. I think many times he has more motivational twists to what he is trying to do.

Well, I'd rather go off his words than just think of something completely different. Good stuff!

I think we can agree that we are both happy Smith was named captain. I'm hoping it brings out the best in him.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by Faithful:

you are aware this is a niner fan site right? is he not supposed to post videos about niners?

this

i was rolling my eyes at the blatant Alex nutlicking

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I'm hoping that your post was simply fueled by likker (seeing the time stamp) and that you will retract soon.

Loaded, loaded, loaded is the word. My words were a bit harsh, yeah. It's been a long offseason filled with the same negativity over and over and over... I'm just tired of it, and my overall feeling of the SF fanbase has been filled with disappointment.

It's gonna be so nice to put this QB situation to rest this season.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Loaded, loaded, loaded is the word. My words were a bit harsh, yeah. It's been a long offseason filled with the same negativity over and over and over... I'm just tired of it, and my overall feeling of the SF fanbase has been filled with disappointment.

It's gonna be so nice to put this QB situation to rest this season.

I figured as much- that was out of character .

I'm with you on the last point!! Go Niners!!