LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

OFFICIAL: Alex Smith Named as Team Captain (Video)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
guys chill alex has earned captain status and just for the record everyone thought saints were mad when they resurrected drew brees and look what he did give alex a chance to prove himself there is no point tearing apart our only chance of a qb this season a.smith is number 1 carr is not ready and davis wasnt no were near ready and i personally dont belive he would ever be and smith hasnt had time to even learn our playbook so once and for all i will say is eather seport the team as a whole or not atall there is no point in ripping our only chances apart before he even started
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I would think that the coach and players know better than any malcontent that posts here who most deserves to be a team captain.

why do you assume the criteria they use is who deserves it? You are defeated by your very own logic, IMO.

Did you not watch the video? I know you do not want to give Smith any credit for working hard to get better, but his team and coaches obviously feel differently about it. Go back and watch the video then realize that my logic was based on what the players and coach said. Thanks for your opinion though Shaj...it has been duly noted.

When have I ever stated that? You won't find one example. I think he's one of the hardest working people on our team. He's a class act too, and his attitude about his job and the sport is outstanding. He's also put principle above money by staying here for a big paycut. I've never stated he's not a hard worker, please don't put words in my mouth. His historical on the field production is what I've always had issue with.

Then get the f**k over it. He played better last season, and with the same OC this past offseason he has developed into a prominent leader and has demonstrated it so. To say he doesn't deserve it because of his historical production in the past, is irrelevant now.

getting hostile, are we? Go tell any GM in the league that a player's historical production is irrelevant, and you will get laughed out of the room so fast it will make your head swim.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
I find it ironic that all the haters who were tired of all the "alexuses" used to defend him in the past, are now using nothing BUT excuses to discredit his achievements leading up to the season.

He was given the captain status because he earned it. This is not a charity

Hey, I'm saying that making him a captain is the right thing to do, and I'm very glad he was given the designation. But if you think he's a captain because of his on the field results, you are delusional, plain and simple.

I am pretty sure his play on the field last season only helped his cause. Singletary backs him, the players back him, I don't see how you think it was solely handed to him as a confidence booster and nothing more.

Especially after Sing ripped Nate Davis recently, and VD a few seasons back. Singletary doesn't seem like the type who gives a crap about feelings. IMO
I would think that the coach and players know better than any malcontent that posts here who most deserves to be a team captain.

why do you assume the criteria they use is who deserves it? You are defeated by your very own logic, IMO.

Did you not watch the video? I know you do not want to give Smith any credit for working hard to get better, but his team and coaches obviously feel differently about it. Go back and watch the video then realize that my logic was based on what the players and coach said. Thanks for your opinion though Shaj...it has been duly noted.

When have I ever stated that? You won't find one example. I think he's one of the hardest working people on our team. He's a class act too, and his attitude about his job and the sport is outstanding. He's also put principle above money by staying here for a big paycut. I've never stated he's not a hard worker, please don't put words in my mouth. His historical on the field production is what I've always had issue with.

Then get the f**k over it. He played better last season, and with the same OC this past offseason he has developed into a prominent leader and has demonstrated it so. To say he doesn't deserve it because of his historical production in the past, is irrelevant now.

getting hostile, are we? Go tell any GM in the league that a player's historical production is irrelevant, and you will get laughed out of the room so fast it will make your head swim.

Eh he's still a young player and he still had time to improve, plus there were a lot of reasons preventing him from succeeding that he's gotten past. I know you'll just reply that that's excuses or bs or whatever, but that's typically how young players on bad teams who play positions that are dependent on the performance of their teammates also improve.

finally came out from hiding under your covers did we?

Ok now you're changing what I said. Of course is history is RELEVANT in REGARDS to impression, and what kind of player he is. But not this year, not when he showed signs of swagger last year playing in only 10 1/2 games, and putting up numbers like he had been playing an entire injury free season. His past is irrelevant THIS year, in regards to being a team captain, and what he has shown throughout all of THIS year's offseason. His history isn't irrelevant in general, it's only irrelevant in this case. Because what he did in '05 '06 and '7 has absolutely no say in whether he should have Team Captain or not in the '10 football season.

[ Edited by defenderDX on Sep 10, 2010 at 11:39:18 ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Ok now you're changing what I said. Of course is history is RELEVANT in REGARDS to impression, and what kind of player he is. But not this year, not when he showed signs of swagger last year playing in only 10 1/2 games, and putting up numbers like he had been playing an entire injury free season. His past is irrelevant THIS year, in regards to being a team captain, and what he has shown throughout all of THIS year's offseason. His history isn't irrelevant in general, it's only irrelevant in this case. Because what he did in '05 '06 and '7 has absolutely no say in whether he should have Team Captain or not in the '10 football season.

I wasn't hiding, I was teaching a college class until 10PM last night.

agree to disagree on this argument. I think Sing wants to motivate Smith, you think Smith is getting rewarded for his wonderful results.

At least we're both happy he's a captain and hope he has a great year this year and beyond.

[ Edited by Shaj on Sep 10, 2010 at 11:59:23 ]

agree to disagree on this argument. I think Sing wants to motivate Smith, you think Smith is getting rewarded for his wonderful results.

At least we're both happy he's a captain and hope he has a great year this year and beyond.

I don't about you, but I know what he's being rewarded for. Unlike you.

Mike Singletary Sep. 8th

“I didn’t name him a captain because he is a quarterback. I named him a captain because he exemplified this offseason the things that I wanted our captains to do,” Singletary said.

“Some leaders are more vocal than others, and some leaders are very exact in terms of this is who I am and I’m going to show by my actions. And everything he’s done this offseason, to me, exemplifies leadership and the character that we want on this football team.”

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/Offense-Looks-to-Finish-in-Seattle/1b593f3a-506f-4389-a332-869966b93d89

Proof is in the pudding. I knew what I was saying all along. I actually read what Sing said, and then some. You just used your formulated opinion while I used actual logics.

Don't like my, "criteria", take it up with Mike Singletary.

[ Edited by defenderDX on Sep 10, 2010 at 12:20:55 ]
I really like Alex's reaction to the news of being named captain. He said he had been a captain in OTAs, training camp, and preseason already. It just felt "nice" to have an official title. Its like he was saying, I was a leader (captain) before I was made a "captain." Good luck Mr. Smith.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Mike Singletary Sep. 8th

“I didn’t name him a captain because he is a quarterback. I named him a captain because he exemplified this offseason the things that I wanted our captains to do,” Singletary said.

“Some leaders are more vocal than others, and some leaders are very exact in terms of this is who I am and I’m going to show by my actions. And everything he’s done this offseason, to me, exemplifies leadership and the character that we want on this football team.”

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/Offense-Looks-to-Finish-in-Seattle/1b593f3a-506f-4389-a332-869966b93d89

Proof is in the pudding. I knew what I was saying all along. I actually read what Sing said, and then some. You just used your formulated opinion while I used actual logics.

I think you make a good argument, because you're going off what you're reading. I think I make a good argument, because I'm going off what I'm seeing. Did Sing make Vernon Davis a captain because of his results? Definitely not. He did it to challenge him to rise to the occasion. I think he's doing the same with Smith. It worked once before, he hopes it will work again.

And you must know that what coaches tell the media is not always the truth, right? How many times have you heard a coach say "x player is not on the trading block" only to find out that a trade was in fact heavily in the works and the player was gone a couple days later. There are endless examples like that. If you feel Sing only preaches the gospel to the media, then maybe you are right. I think many times he has more motivational twists to what he is trying to do.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
I just hope he acts like one when we need him, so pretty much every single day until the season is over. haha

Mike Singletary Sep. 8th

I think you make a good argument, because you're going off what you're reading. I think I make a good argument, because I'm going off what I'm seeing. Did Sing make Vernon Davis a captain because of his results? Definitely not. He did it to challenge him to rise to the occasion. I think he's doing the same with Smith. It worked once before, he hopes it will work again.

And you must know that what coaches tell the media is not always the truth, right? How many times have you heard a coach say "x player is not on the trading block" only to find out that a trade was in fact heavily in the works and the player was gone a couple days later. There are endless examples like that. If you feel Sing only preaches the gospel to the media, then maybe you are right. I think many times he has more motivational twists to what he is trying to do.

Shaj, I think there are multiple reasons why Sing made Alex a captain.

1) I think he made Alex a captain for the reason you are saying "to challenge him to raise to the occasion"

2) He also made him a captain for the work Alex has put in this off-season.

I think both of those are true, Obviously Smiths "results" dont warrant him being a captain but I dont think a captain is picked based on results, its based on his leadership qualities and his work ethic and Alex has shown both of those this offseason.

Alex deserves to be a captain of this team. Now he has to put all this together on the field and if he doesnt you dont have to worry about him being a captain anymore after this season
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:

Mike Singletary Sep. 8th

1) I think he made Alex a captain for the reason you are saying "to challenge him to raise to the occasion"

I think both of those are true, Obviously Smiths "results" dont warrant him being a captain but I dont think a captain is picked based on results, its based on his leadership qualities and his work ethic and Alex has shown both of those this offseason.

Alex deserves to be a captain of this team. Now he has to put all this together on the field and if he doesnt you dont have to worry about him being a captain anymore after this season

Nice point, I agree with most of what you said. I think the word "deserve" is very subjective, and we have different interpretations, but all that matters is Sing's interpretation. I hope Smith steps it up and gives us a banner year. Cris Collinsworth said on TV two days ago "If Alex Smith can just play average this year, the 49ers will be a very dangerous team." I hope he at least does that for us.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Mike Singletary Sep. 8th

Nice point, I agree with most of what you said. I think the word "deserve" is very subjective, and we have different interpretations, but all that matters is Sing's interpretation. I hope Smith steps it up and gives us a banner year. Cris Collinsworth said on TV two days ago "If Alex Smith can just play average this year, the 49ers will be a very dangerous team." I hope he at least does that for us.

Everything is in place for him to be be at least average. Just hope he can make the plays when we need them
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Mike Singletary Sep. 8th

Everything is in place for him to be be at least average. Just hope he can make the plays when we need them

1988 Shaj agrees with you

Share 49ersWebzone