There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OFFICIAL: Alex Smith Named as Team Captain (Video)

I would think that the coach and players know better than any malcontent that posts here who most deserves to be a team captain.
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I would think that the coach and players know better than any malcontent that posts here who most deserves to be a team captain.

why do you assume the criteria they use is who deserves it? You are defeated by your very own logic, IMO.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
What I like is that during the interview, he basically said that it was nice to have the "official" title, but he's already been doing the job all offseason. Classic Phil Jennings.

There is a little swagger to Alex this year. Who would have thought it?
  • flow
  • Veteran
What I like is that during the interview, he basically said that it was nice to have the "official" title, but he's already been doing the job all offseason. Classic Phil Jennings.

Originally posted by Shaj:

why do you assume the criteria they use is who deserves it? You are defeated by your very own logic, IMO.

Did you not watch the video? I know you do not want to give Smith any credit for working hard to get better, but his team and coaches obviously feel differently about it. Go back and watch the video then realize that my logic was based on what the players and coach said. Thanks for your opinion though Shaj...it has been duly noted.
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:

There is a little swagger to Alex this year. Who would have thought it?

I like it. I have high hopes for Alex this year. Hopefully he steps up.
  • Shemp
  • Veteran

Did you not watch the video? I know you do not want to give Smith any credit for working hard to get better, but his team and coaches obviously feel differently about it. Go back and watch the video then realize that my logic was based on what the players and coach said. Thanks for your opinion though Shaj...it has been duly noted.

When have I ever stated that? You won't find one example. I think he's one of the hardest working people on our team. He's a class act too, and his attitude about his job and the sport is outstanding. He's also put principle above money by staying here for a big paycut. I've never stated he's not a hard worker, please don't put words in my mouth. His historical on the field production is what I've always had issue with.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by 49ERS_REFERENCE:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by Faithful:

you are aware this is a niner fan site right? is he not supposed to post videos about niners?

this

i was rolling my eyes at the blatant Alex nutlicking

nutlicking? give me a break dude LMAO. you're either with this team, and it's decision to make Alex a team captain, and starting QB or you're not. my views completely changed on him ever since the texans game. I was shocked when they put alex in. the old interception machine I used to call him. I bashed him so hard. but he said "f**k you" and threw 3 touchdowns in ONE half out of no where. he continued to play well for the rest of the season, finishing with stats that looked like he'd been playing 16 games. Now, if he was able to put up those numbers last year in only 10 1/2 games,. I can't even imagine what he is now capable of putting up in a healthy, FULL 16 game season.

Alex deserves this. He's still got to show it on the field, but he does deserve this. and you fail to realize it. lets give him the chance to resurrect his career and just watch things play out.

slow down, brother. You know what the word 'deserved' means, right? Alex did not deserve this. Frank Gore deserved this. However, Alex NEEDS this to give him a boost of confidence and to put some added pressure on him to live up to his draft day potential. There is a big difference. It was a smart move by Singletary though, and it was the right thing to do. It's the same thing he did with Vernon, and look at how that turned out.

Wrong. Smith HAS deserved this. He deserves a Team Captain spot, and has deserved and earned the chance to start again. He played well last season, put up the best stats of his career, and showed that he can be a starting quarterback once again. He already HAS confidence, he's had the confidence to be a leader, and command of this offense throughout this entire offseason and preseason. Where have you been?
  • Shemp
  • Veteran

you are aware this is a niner fan site right? is he not supposed to post videos about niners?

this

nutlicking? give me a break dude LMAO. you're either with this team, and it's decision to make Alex a team captain, and starting QB or you're not. my views completely changed on him ever since the texans game. I was shocked when they put alex in. the old interception machine I used to call him. I bashed him so hard. but he said "f**k you" and threw 3 touchdowns in ONE half out of no where. he continued to play well for the rest of the season, finishing with stats that looked like he'd been playing 16 games. Now, if he was able to put up those numbers last year in only 10 1/2 games,. I can't even imagine what he is now capable of putting up in a healthy, FULL 16 game season.

Alex deserves this. He's still got to show it on the field, but he does deserve this. and you fail to realize it. lets give him the chance to resurrect his career and just watch things play out.

slow down, brother. You know what the word 'deserved' means, right? Alex did not deserve this. Frank Gore deserved this. However, Alex NEEDS this to give him a boost of confidence and to put some added pressure on him to live up to his draft day potential. There is a big difference. It was a smart move by Singletary though, and it was the right thing to do. It's the same thing he did with Vernon, and look at how that turned out.

Wrong. Smith HAS deserved this. He deserves a Team Captain spot, and has deserved and earned the chance to start again. He played well last season, put up the best stats of his career, and showed that he can be a starting quarterback once again. He already HAS confidence, he's had the confidence to be a leader, and command of this offense throughout this entire offseason and preseason. Where have you been?

If that is your criteria, then please explain why Frank Gore is not a team captain. That's where your logic breaks down. That's why I say this is not about who "deserves" the spot, it's about what is the right thing to do for the team. Sing may not say that, but that's what it's about, because he cares most about team success. Our weak link in that model is QB, that is no surprise. Sing needs Smith to step up, just like he needed Vernon to step up before and fulfill his draft position. Putting him in a captain position was the best way to set the expectation, give the vote of confidence, and put the national spotlight on him. It worked with Vernon, and he's hoping it works with Smith. I am too.

this

If that is your criteria, then please explain why Frank Gore is not a team captain. That's where your logic breaks down. That's why I say this is not about who "deserves" the spot, it's about what is the right thing to do for the team. Sing may not say that, but that's what it's about, because he cares most about team success. Our weak link in that model is QB, that is no surprise. Sing needs Smith to step up, just like he needed Vernon to step up before and fulfill his draft position. Putting him in a captain position was the best way to set the expectation, give the vote of confidence, and put the national spotlight on him. It worked with Vernon, and he's hoping it works with Smith. I am too.

Okay, let me break down my "logic" for you.

1. Smith deserved to be a starter because of how he played last year with the improvement he showed in his game.

2. Smith earned his team captain status with the LEADERSHIP he showed throughout OTA's, training camp, and throughout the whole offseason pretty much. We're not talking about Gore, we're talking about smith.

So these are two different things. I may have not separated them clearly, but now I just did. Smith has already stepped up by doing the little things, and staying around after practice was over because he didn't feel right about something. We saw last season his confidence level was much higher than ever before. This Team Captain status can only make his level of confidence so MUCH greater. He already had confidence before he got this recognition.

[ Edited by defenderDX on Sep 9, 2010 at 17:24:44 ]
  • Shemp
  • Veteran

this

1. Smith deserved to be a starter because of how he played last year with the improvement he showed in his game.

2. Smith earned his team captain status with the LEADERSHIP he showed throughout OTA's. We're not talking about Gore, we're talking about smith.

So these are two different things. I may have not separated them clearly, but now I just did. Smith has already stepped up by doing the little things, and staying around after practice was over because he didn't feel right about something. We saw last season his confidence level was much higher than ever before. This Team Captain status can only make his level of confidence so MUCH greater. He already had confidence before he got this recognition.

On #1, he deserved to be the starter, but there was also nobody to challenge him. That is of no relevence to him being team captain though. There are 22+ players who have deserved the right to be starters on this team, so that criteria is bunk straight away.

On #2, leadership during OTA's + a dollar will buy you drip coffee at 7-11. It's winning games that count. Smith has always been overall good in practice and overall bad in games.

But to reiterate, I'm happy he got the designation, and I think it was the right thing to do. I just think Singletary had a more elaborate agenda in giving him this designation than just recognizing him for being one of many starters and for showing leadership in practice.

this

2. Smith earned his team captain status with the LEADERSHIP he showed throughout OTA's. We're not talking about Gore, we're talking about smith.

On #1, he deserved to be the starter, but there was also nobody to challenge him. That is of no relevence to him being team captain though. There are 22+ players who have deserved the right to be starters on this team, so that criteria is bunk straight away.

On #2, leadership during OTA's + a dollar will buy you drip coffee at 7-11. It's winning games that count. Smith has always been overall good in practice and overall bad in games.

But to reiterate, I'm happy he got the designation, and I think it was the right thing to do. I just think Singletary had a more elaborate agenda in giving him this designation than just recognizing him for being one of many starters and for showing leadership in practice.

He never needed anyone to challenge him. We're over that hump, and over that phase. His earnings came from last year. I know that had no relevance to being a team captain, I was just talking about both originally. Criteria is bunk? Those other starters are COMPLETELY different positions. THAT is bunk, and irrelevant the the QB position. Would have been different if you said, there are 22 other QB's that have also deserved to be a starter. Keep in mind this particular respoinse isnt referring to being a team captain.

Of course it's winning games that count, obviously... Regardless, he has still shown more prominence in his skills, and has developed into quite a leader starting from last season, to all throughout this offseason. Now we'll get to see if he can show it, and can show us the results of it on the field.

[ Edited by defenderDX on Sep 9, 2010 at 17:38:13 ]
I find it ironic that all the haters who were tired of all the "alexuses" used to defend him in the past, are now using nothing BUT excuses to discredit his achievements leading up to the season.

He was given the captain status because he earned it. This is not a charity

• Shemp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HomerJ:
I find it ironic that all the haters who were tired of all the "alexuses" used to defend him in the past, are now using nothing BUT excuses to discredit his achievements leading up to the season.

He was given the captain status because he earned it. This is not a charity

Hey, I'm saying that making him a captain is the right thing to do, and I'm very glad he was given the designation. But if you think he's a captain because of his on the field results, you are delusional, plain and simple.

When have I ever stated that? You won't find one example. I think he's one of the hardest working people on our team. He's a class act too, and his attitude about his job and the sport is outstanding. He's also put principle above money by staying here for a big paycut. I've never stated he's not a hard worker, please don't put words in my mouth. His historical on the field production is what I've always had issue with.

Then get the f**k over it. He played better last season, and with the same OC this past offseason he has developed into a prominent leader and has demonstrated it so. To say he doesn't deserve it because of his historical production in the past, is irrelevant now.