LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Trent Dilfer(someone that actually played the game) on Alex Smith.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Trent Dilfer, the former quarterback turned ESPN analyst, has already warned Alex Smith.

If Smith plays badly in 2010, Dilfer is going to let him have it on the air.

“I think this is the first year we can fairly evaluate Alex. That sounds weird going into his sixth year. But he’s been through so much in terms of coaching turnover, personnel turnover, injuries,” Dilfer said.

“That said — and I’ve told him this — I am going to be much harder on him. My expectations are much higher because this is his sixth year and it should all come together.”

With that as the backdrop, Dilfer is a believer. He was on a conference call with reporters this morning and I asked him if Smith was capable of taking the 49ers to the playoffs.

”If they don’t (make the postseason), then Alex is going to be criticized very harshly and I think that’s probably fair,” Dilfer said. “Now, saying all that, I believe he will meet the expectations. I believe he’s a different man after watching him the last couple of years grow up.

”He’s playing with a harder edge. He definitely has more command to his personality and he has complete ownership of this offense. I would argue he has more ownership of this offense than the people calling it. He knows where everyone is supposed to be at all times, all the nuances of it.

”He is ready for the moment. He feels like it’s his time to run the show and get things done in San Francisco like they haven’t been done.

”I think that’s going to happen. I think they’re an 11-5 football team that can get in the playoffs and win a game in the playoffs. If it doesn’t happen, it’ll probably be (Smith’s) last year in San Francisco.”

Dilfer spent 13 seasons in the NFL, finishing up with the 49ers in 2007. He won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens in 2000, thanks mostly to a terrific supporting cast. A fearsome Ravens defense that season held opponents to just 10.3 points per game.

If the 49ers make the playoffs in 2010, it might be with a similar recipe. The team is counting on a top-tier defense and an offense that does just enough.

Dilfer said the pieces are in place. He went so far as to say that new personnel chief Trent Baalke is “arguably one of the top five personnel guys in the league.”

“They should easily win the West. They have by far — by far — the best personnel in the West, from top to bottom,” Dilfer said.

“Living in the Bay Area, seeing it day in and day out, they are a very, very talented football team. So it should come together for Alex. He should have a good year, he should go to the playoffs and I would even argue they should win a playoff game.”

I agree with Trent, this is the first year we can fairly evaluate him. And me being a supporter, if he fails, I too will be there to rip him and hope the team looks elsewhere for a QB.
[ Edited by GBNinerFan on Sep 8, 2010 at 9:48 AM ]
EAST COAST BIAS

• Shifty
  • Veteran
I hope he's right.
Coming from the Mayor of Mediocretown, those statements should mean very little to Smitty. I know Trent was a "mentor" and all, but Alex is already twice the QB that Trent ever was (Super Bowl ring or not). He's just had the sh*t kicked out of em for 5 years. It's a good thing Alex is so well mannered and respectful of the elderly cuz a lot of people would tell Dilfer to pound sand up his ass. Smitty knows the score; he doesn't need washed up lucky turds like Trent Dilfer telling him that the heat is on.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
Coming from the Mayor of Mediocretown, those statements should mean very little to Smitty. I know Trent was a "mentor" and all, but Alex is already twice the QB that Trent ever was (Super Bowl ring or not). He's just had the sh*t kicked out of em for 5 years. It's a good thing Alex is so well mannered and respectful of the elderly cuz a lot of people would tell Dilfer to pound sand up his ass. Smitty knows the score; he doesn't need washed up lucky turds like Trent Dilfer telling him that the heat is on.

what's wrong with what he said? He basically said Alex didn't get a fair shot until this year, and if he doesn't perform this year, things will get ugly. What can you possibly find disagreeable with that assessment? Even the mulititude of koolaid drinkers here would be hard pressed to disagree with him, I would think. But maybe they'll surprise me.

Exactly how salty are Smith's nuts?

I think everything Dilfer said was spot on. I agree with him and I stand on his side of things.
Originally posted by Shaj:

what's wrong with what he said? He basically said Alex didn't get a fair shot until this year, and if he doesn't perform this year, things will get ugly. What can you possibly find disagreeable with that assessment? Even the mulititude of koolaid drinkers here would be hard pressed to disagree with him, I would think. But maybe they'll surprise me.
I can agree with that!
Originally posted by Shaj:

Just my opinion but I don't give 2 sh*ts what former mediocre stop gaps like Dilfer think about any QB. When Steve Young said the same thing; I listened intently.
I agree with Trent. The stable system is there, the talent around him is there, so he needs to emerge as a franchise QB, one that can lift his team to the next level. I believe he has it in him, but he has to believe in himself.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Medium...Let me clarify; I don't think Alex has done anything worth mentioning. I just really think very little of Dilfer. If he wants to talk to somebody like Rex Grossman about having well above average arm strength and well below average QB IQ or throwing stupid deep balls that lead to INT's then that's something I think he's qualified to do. I dunno...maybe I'm just cranky today. It's raining here...

[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Sep 8, 2010 at 10:54:33 ]

Medium...Let me clarify; I don't think Alex has done anything worth mentioning. I just really think very little of Dilfer. If he wants to talk to somebody like Rex Grossman about having well above average arm strength and well below average QB IQ or throwing stupid deep balls that lead to INT's then that's something I think he's qualified to do. I dunno...maybe I'm just cranky today.

But dude, Dilfer is a football analyst/commentator now. That's his job...to talk about football players, and football teams. It doesn't matter how good or bad Dilfer was on the field when he played; the fact that he played in the NFL in general uniquely qualifies him to talk about NFL players, including and especially, QBs.

Whether he was better or worse than the players he talks about is irrelevant, it's his analysis that matters, and in this case, he was spot-on about Smith.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 8, 2010 at 11:00:33 ]
Truth is like three edge sword, your truth, his truth with the real truth somewhere in between. Dilfer sees Smith like himself and having being smith's mentor is somewhat of a Homer and is blinded.

However, he may not have had talent and played the game, so he may be able to see things technically that say a Joe Montana or Jerry Rice may not. What I mean is that since he had no talent, he had to make sure technical knowledge was raised. Someone like Montana may or maynot rely on their instincts and natural talents (things that you can't teach) and wonder why a guy doesn't get it like he did.

A good example, walsh played colloge ball at San Jose, never made it to the NFL, yet he was a technical genious, because he had no physical talent. Same with WR who are good route runners like Clark, they have to be because they are slow, and they need to use technical skills to come out of a break rather than physical skills. I often wondered how Clark would have done as a WR or OC coach.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I hope he's right.

Medium...Let me clarify; I don't think Alex has done anything worth mentioning. I just really think very little of Dilfer. If he wants to talk to somebody like Rex Grossman about having well above average arm strength and well below average QB IQ or throwing stupid deep balls that lead to INT's then that's something I think he's qualified to do. I dunno...maybe I'm just cranky today.

But dude, Dilfer is a football analyst/commentator now. That's his job...to talk about football players, and football teams. It doesn't matter how good or bad Dilfer was on the field when he played; the fact that he played in the NFL in general uniquely qualifies him to talk about NFL players, including and especially, QBs.

Whether he was better or worse than the players he talks about is irrelevant, it's his analysis that matters, and in this case, he was spot-on about Smith.

All true. And if I said he was the first analyst that I hated, I'd be lying. I find his analysis of most things completely redundant to the point of being hacky. I've heard every single thing he stated in interviews with Steve Young and basically our entire coaching staff. The one special skill I think Dilfer has is that he's comfortable on camera...you know what, so is Lee Ann Tweeden and at least we could fap to her at half time which is what I may as well be doing during one of Dilfer's in depth analysis'.

Maybe I'm being way to hard on ol' Trent though, as everything I said in the previous paragraph can be applied to 90% of the analysts out there. I vote for less old guys saying the same sh*t and more hotties saying whatever the f**k...
Share 49ersWebzone