LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

WOW Steve Young #81 on 100 All Time best Players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't care. He will always be Number One in my heart.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Agreed. I grew up watching Steve Young. I don't give a f**k where a bunch of analysts put him. He's one of the greatest of all time. We saw it, we know it. End of story.
This is an insult to a HOF Quarterback. At the very least he should be part of the top 10 group.
You want to look at post season

How about P. Manning 9W9L

S Young 7W 5L

Young has a higher percentage of post season wins.

Just saying
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Steve Young should be in the top 25 at least. He could run and he was an accurate passer. If the team had kept Sanders and Waters they would've won 2 or 3 more Super Bowls and Steve would be up in the charts. No qualms about Jim Brown, I saw him play in the 50's and 60's and he would still be the top running back in any age. I'd vote for Sammy Baugh, even though I never saw him play. He was a top QB, safety and averaged 50 yards punting for one season, which is still a record.

Folks tend to forget the years Steve either led the leauge or was right up there in passer rating, yards and touch downs. Definitely one of the greatest NFL QB's of all times........ He's a HOF for crying out loud!!!! How can he be so close to the bottom?
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
It's really f**king pathetic (and I'm not even being a homer), Steve Young was (of the 90's) what Peyton Manning was of the 00's. (Back-to-back Pro Bowls, MVP awards, All-decade passing yards).

And to know Aikman is going to get rated ahead of Young simply based on "rings" is f**king disgusting. Troy Aikman was one of the (statistically) worst Superbowl-era dynasty QBs in all of NFL history.

Seriously, don't be f**king surprised if they rate Jim Brown ahead of Jerry Rice (aka that Browns RB who succeeded in a s**tty era of football cause his defensive competition was made up of 162 lb white boys named Billy "Buzz Rocket" Thompson, and Vern "Jumping Jack" Mahoney.).

That is well said sir!! young being #81 is a damn travesty!! I truly think Rice is the #1 of all time and id take Emmitt Smith over Jim Brown for what he accomplished... maybe even Barry Sanders!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by kingairta:
I'm fine with the spot given how many people played the game but to put players like Aikman and Bradshaw ahead is just mind boggling.

Heck Young paved the way for players like Michael Vick, Vince Young etc. QBs who you have to account for their legs as well as the arm.

Looks like they are giving the nod to QB's with more super bowl rings and wins kinda dumb for this type of list when those are team stats

just looking at Bradshaw yeah he won 4 super bowls in 6 years has a career w/l record of 107/51 to Young's 94/49 but that doesn't make him personally better than Young

Bradshaw
career
51.9% 212 td 210 int passer rating 105

Young
career
64.3% 232 td 107 int passer rating 126

not even close

Aikman
career
61.5% 165 td 141 int passer rating 106

pfft

booo this list booo it

Elway
56.9% 300 td 226 int passer rating 105

I think people are putting too much stock into W/L and super bowls

So if Norwood kicks a couple more field goals Jim Kelly is better than Steve?

yup

So if Adam misses a couple kicks Steve is better than Brady?
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Axl49:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
These kinds of list are always crap. Always biased toward the more recent players because those are the ones people know and have seen.

The NFL started in 1920, so there must be 10's of thousands of guys who have played in the league. To be considered one of the top 100 out of at least 20-30,000 players is pretty amazing.

I'm happy he made the list.

Michael Irvin is NOT better than Young neither is Elway or Marino which im sure will be on here. We are just saying give the man the respect he deserves 81 is way too low and there are lots of old school players on the list as of right now.

elway>young

take...that...BACK

elways and marino are both better than young....if people are gonna argue that despite his rings aikman is not better, than definitely marino is better..until favre broke a couple the last couple years, marino held almost every passing record there was, sorry guys, you cant say that aikmans rings dont matter and then say that marino isnt better bc he doesnt have any.........but 81 is still too low, he should be top 10 qb
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by superman49er:
These kinds of list are always crap. Always biased toward the more recent players because those are the ones people know and have seen.

The NFL started in 1920, so there must be 10's of thousands of guys who have played in the league. To be considered one of the top 100 out of at least 20-30,000 players is pretty amazing.

Michael Irvin is NOT better than Young neither is Elway or Marino which im sure will be on here. We are just saying give the man the respect he deserves 81 is way too low and there are lots of old school players on the list as of right now.

elway>young

take...that...BACK

elways and marino are both better than young....if people are gonna argue that despite his rings aikman is not better, than definitely marino is better..until favre broke a couple the last couple years, marino held almost every passing record there was, sorry guys, you cant say that aikmans rings dont matter and then say that marino isnt better bc he doesnt have any.........but 81 is still too low, he should be top 10 qb

Marino career passer rating 113 pfft
Originally posted by superman49er:

elway>young

take...that...BACK

I'd rank Marino, Elway, Young in that order, but Aikman over Young? No way.

I think the biggest issue isn't that Steve Young is 81. There are so many positions in the NFL and so many great players. I do think that it is possible to name 80 players who are legitimately better than Steve Young. The problem is that players like Michael Irvin (a great receiver, but not even top 10 at his position), Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, etc are going in above him.

No player before or since has mastered the dual threat of running and passing as well as he did and I feel he got better with age. If he hadn't gotten injured in 1999, we would would've been contending for the Super Bowl that year as well.
Seahawks fan here.

Come on, some of you guys are overly indignant about Young's ranking. He inherited a world-class team. He's ranked where he is for a reason. Saying he's automatically better than Peyton Manning...I don't think so. Take a look at the comments about Peyton on this QB power rankings article by Bill Simmons as an example of what I mean: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100902

"2. Peyton Manning, Colts
He maintains his "Don't bet against me in any nationally televised night game" status, as well as his "Don't ever throw my opponent into a tease or parlay" status and "If you're up by 17 with a quarter to go and you don't chop my head off and finish the game, I will absolutely drop three quick touchdowns on you, and you know I will" status."

That last part is hilarious, and oh so true. How many times have we seen Peyton drop a retarded number of touchdowns in a short timespan on someone? He has probably done it to every team in the league; and he has not had a supporting cast for his career like Young did, nor get to train behind Montana during his glory years like Young did.

[ Edited by RageFury on Sep 8, 2010 at 15:36:49 ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Agreed. I grew up watching Steve Young. I don't give a f**k where a bunch of analysts put him. He's one of the greatest of all time. We saw it, we know it. End of story.

• dwett
  • Veteran
Man I hate ranking NFL players in general. It is so hard to compare eras and it is to much a team sport. I mean the same argument for why Montana is better than Marino or Elway in the 80s can be said makes Aikman better than Young in the 90s. It is hard to figure how much the surrounding cast helped or hurt them in their quest for championships.

The fact is Young is a HOF QB. He did many great things and I can say with certainty that he is the reason the Niners didn't take a nose dive after Montana. The fact that he is in the hall is enough respect for me. Just because he is below blah blah blah in some random rankings means nothing to me.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Steve should be in the top 25, he was best dual threat QB of all time. He was as dangerous running as he was passing. Dude was like Vick but could throw it with the best of the them.
Share 49ersWebzone