LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 261 users in the forums

WOW Steve Young #81 on 100 All Time best Players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Guys, calm down. Steve likely got gypped because of how long it took him to start. I agree that he's too low, but did you expect anything less?

And Joe & Jerry will be in the top 3...but Jim Brown is in the conversation as the best ever because he was a great player. The guy was able to do sh*t that no one before him could. Jim is in the mix, and while it may be arguable (Jerry gets my vote), it is not outlandish for him to be considered for #1 of all time.
Originally posted by samoan49er:
Originally posted by kingairta:
I'm fine with the spot given how many people played the game but to put players like Aikman and Bradshaw ahead is just mind boggling.

Heck Young paved the way for players like Michael Vick, Vince Young etc. QBs who you have to account for their legs as well as the arm.

We all love Young but come on, before Young there was Staubach and Tarkenton. Also, don't forget about Cunningham (not saying he's better than Young).

Don't forget that running was an important part of Montana's game in his younger years. He really revived the running QB.

As for Young - The 9ers lost too many play-off games with him at QB, for him to be rated much higher. Still 81 seems a little low.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
It's really f**king pathetic (and I'm not even being a homer), Steve Young was (of the 90's) what Peyton Manning was of the 00's. (Back-to-back Pro Bowls, MVP awards, All-decade passing yards).

And to know Aikman is going to get rated ahead of Young simply based on "rings" is f**king disgusting. Troy Aikman was one of the (statistically) worst Superbowl-era dynasty QBs in all of NFL history.

Seriously, don't be f**king surprised if they rate Jim Brown ahead of Jerry Rice (aka that Browns RB who succeeded in a s**tty era of football cause his defensive competition was made up of 162 lb white boys named Billy "Buzz Rocket" Thompson, and Vern "Jumping Jack" Mahoney.).

Don't hate on ol' Jumping Jack - he was the s**t!
Originally posted by Axl49:
Steve young is a far better player than Elway was. Young could have won 1 or 2 more rings if he didn't get hurt. Elway only won his rings because of his RB just like Brady only has rings cause of the tuck rule and Vintaries Leg. Not to mention Elway got smashed in in other super bowls where Young broke records at his Big dance and is the greatest QB performance ever at a Superbowl.

Steve Young played in all of 1 SB. John Elway played in 5 SB's and won 2. Yes they got smoked 3 times primarily because the Broncos had terrible defenses that got killed by Washington, NY, and the Niners. Elway got those teams into the SB's with amazing last minute drives against Cleveland.

John Elway was an amazing QB. Probably the greatest arm ever, could run, and leads the NFL I believe in all time comeback wins.

Steve Young is much better than #81 but he should not be ahead of John Elway.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
I'm fine with the spot given how many people played the game but to put players like Aikman and Bradshaw ahead is just mind boggling.

Heck Young paved the way for players like Michael Vick, Vince Young etc. QBs who you have to account for their legs as well as the arm.

Looks like they are giving the nod to QB's with more super bowl rings and wins kinda dumb for this type of list when those are team stats

just looking at Bradshaw yeah he won 4 super bowls in 6 years has a career w/l record of 107/51 to Young's 94/49 but that doesn't make him personally better than Young

Bradshaw
career
51.9% 212 td 210 int passer rating 105

Young
career
64.3% 232 td 107 int passer rating 126

not even close

Aikman
career
61.5% 165 td 141 int passer rating 106

pfft

booo this list booo it

Elway
56.9% 300 td 226 int passer rating 105

I think people are putting too much stock into W/L and super bowls

So if Norwood kicks a couple more field goals Jim Kelly is better than Steve?

Looks like they are giving the nod to QB's with more super bowl rings and wins kinda dumb for this type of list when those are team stats

just looking at Bradshaw yeah he won 4 super bowls in 6 years has a career w/l record of 107/51 to Young's 94/49 but that doesn't make him personally better than Young

Bradshaw
career
51.9% 212 td 210 int passer rating 105

Young
career
64.3% 232 td 107 int passer rating 126

not even close

Aikman
career
61.5% 165 td 141 int passer rating 106

pfft

booo this list booo it

Elway
56.9% 300 td 226 int passer rating 105

I think people are putting too much stock into W/L and super bowls

So if Norwood kicks a couple more field goals Jim Kelly is better than Steve?

yup
Steve Young should be in the top 25 at least. He could run and he was an accurate passer. If the team had kept Sanders and Waters they would've won 2 or 3 more Super Bowls and Steve would be up in the charts. No qualms about Jim Brown, I saw him play in the 50's and 60's and he would still be the top running back in any age. I'd vote for Sammy Baugh, even though I never saw him play. He was a top QB, safety and averaged 50 yards punting for one season, which is still a record.
I agree that Aikman should not be ahead of Steve Young. I have not seen the program yet so I can't complain too much but I do think Jim Brown or Jerry Rice should be the greatest Nfl player of all time. Jim Brown finished his career with 5 yards per carry and 100 yards/game and he had the rushing touchdown record for years. Jim Brown is the gold standard by which runningbacks are measured and Jerry Rice is the standard by which receivers are measured because Rice has almost all of the receiving records a receiver can get. Many people still debate who the greatest qb of all time is. Some say Brady, Unitas, Marino, Elway, Favre, or Otto Graham but Brown and Rice are accepted as being the standard. Most people under 60 did not get to see Jim Brown play so they have no appreciation for him and I will say that young people have less appreciation for someone not in their era. I read about Jim Brown and my father told me about him and no other runningback matches the descriptions of Brown. You may not like him as a person but if this is about football greatness then it is what it is. People born in the late 80's and early 90's think Brady or Manning is the greatest qb but they have no idea of how great Montana was and how the rule changes impact all of these passing yards in today's game.

If every sports writer & fan made their own top 100 list, every single one of them would be different.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
This is absurd he has the highest qb rating ever for a qb and is top 10 qb's ever and he is 81 who the hell is putting this list together and the fans that voted for him this low are stupid. He is 60-50 best players ever not 81 give me a break. I hope Jerry Rice gets greatest ever or JOE but I know dumb ass Jim Brown will get this spot.

with our luck it will be
1. J. Brown
2. J. Rice
3. J. Montana

I would not even be surprised if Johnny Unitas got rated higher than Montana...most of the older analysts have him tabbed as the best, there will literally ever be...no matter the competitions achievements...when in fact most 3rd string modern QB's playing in that era would have tore those defenses apart....todays base defenses didn't even exist yet for part of Unitas's career

cant wait to see how high Jennings is ranked, better make the top 5

Originally posted by MaliCali:
This is absurd he has the highest qb rating ever for a qb and is top 10 qb's ever and he is 81 who the hell is putting this list together and the fans that voted for him this low are stupid. He is 60-50 best players ever not 81 give me a break. I hope Jerry Rice gets greatest ever or JOE but I know dumb ass Jim Brown will get this spot.

with our luck it will be
1. J. Brown
2. J. Rice
3. J. Montana

I would not even be surprised if Johnny Unitas got rated higher than Montana...most of the older analysts have him tabbed as the best, there will literally ever be...no matter the competitions achievements...when in fact most 3rd string modern QB's playing in that era would have tore those defenses apart....todays base defenses didn't even exist yet for part of Unitas's career

The rules of the game have changed to favor the offense. I don't think many modern receivers would go over the middle if they were going to encounter a Hardy Brown clothesline. Likewise, QBs can hardly be touched nowadays. OTOH - players are bigger and better conditioned than they were in the good old days. It's almost impossible to compare players of different eras. Unitas in his day was head and shoulders above the other QBs of his day.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
These kinds of list are always crap. Always biased toward the more recent players because those are the ones people know and have seen.

The NFL started in 1920, so there must be 10's of thousands of guys who have played in the league. To be considered one of the top 100 out of at least 20-30,000 players is pretty amazing.

I'm happy he made the list.

Michael Irvin is NOT better than Young neither is Elway or Marino which im sure will be on here. We are just saying give the man the respect he deserves 81 is way too low and there are lots of old school players on the list as of right now.

elway>young

take...that...BACK

Go find me a non-niner poll in which steve young is better than john elway, go ahead ill wait...

Actually agree with WestCoast on this one...

Originally posted by leolion:
Originally posted by MaliCali:

with our luck it will be
1. J. Brown
2. J. Rice
3. J. Montana

The rules of the game have changed to favor the offense. I don't think many modern receivers would go over the middle if they were going to encounter a Hardy Brown clothesline. Likewise, QBs can hardly be touched nowadays. OTOH - players are bigger and better conditioned than they were in the good old days. It's almost impossible to compare players of different eras. Unitas in his day was head and shoulders above the other QBs of his day.

regardless...

If Peyton Manning played a season in that era, with his knowledge of football and defenses...should he play against a defense that wasn't even running modern base formations...6000+ yards and 50+ touchdowns would be completely reasonable..

the only athlete from that era who i believe had the physical capabilities to play in our modern era would be Jim Brown, there is no questioning the tough grittyness and heart of old era players...unfortunately that only gets you so far in Today's game, which on it's own speaks volumes of how the game has evolved.
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
These kinds of list are always crap. Always biased toward the more recent players because those are the ones people know and have seen.

The NFL started in 1920, so there must be 10's of thousands of guys who have played in the league. To be considered one of the top 100 out of at least 20-30,000 players is pretty amazing.

I'm happy he made the list.

Michael Irvin is NOT better than Young neither is Elway or Marino which im sure will be on here. We are just saying give the man the respect he deserves 81 is way too low and there are lots of old school players on the list as of right now.

elway>young

take...that...BACK

Go find me a non-niner poll in which steve young is better than john elway, go ahead ill wait...

Actually agree with WestCoast on this one...

if only steve had a running game to carry him to 2 SB wins like TD did for Elway...

look at the s**t we had out there after Watters left
Share 49ersWebzone