LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Would Brady pass Montana in your mind???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Brady is damn good, but Joe was really something special. They are really on two different levels. Initially Brady looked as though he may be better, but following the injury, I still don't feel like he has fully recovered. He has also not shown as much of an ability to "play it cool" when under severe duress from a nasty defense...

When the Giants got pressure on him in the last Super Bowl Brady looked awfully average (as most QBs do under those conditions.) Montana was absolutely steller every time he played in that game.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Brady is damn good, but Joe was really something special. They are really on two different levels. Initially Brady looked as though he may be better, but following the injury, I still don't feel like he has fully recovered. He has also not shown as much of an ability to "play it cool" when under severe duress from a nasty defense...

When the Giants got pressure on him in the last Super Bowl Brady looked awfully average (as most QBs do under those conditions.) Montana was absolutely steller every time he played in that game.

Exactly. Brady lost in the SB before his injury. Montana is 4-0 with 0 interceptions. Montana was small, weak arm, not athletic, but still the GOAT.
Originally posted by rawdel:

Exactly. Brady lost in the SB before his injury. Montana is 4-0 with 0 interceptions. Montana was small, weak arm, not athletic, but still the GOAT.

Joe Cool. The name says it all!
Joe> Everyone and anyone else. not even close. talk about clutch players and his name always comes up. talk about records, his name comes up. talk about greatest QB of all time and his name always comes up. not even close. Brady is awesome and u guys bashing him dont know what your talking about but Montana was in a league of his own.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Joe> Everyone and anyone else. not even close. talk about clutch players and his name always comes up. talk about records, his name comes up. talk about greatest QB of all time and his name always comes up. not even close. Brady is awesome and u guys bashing him dont know what your talking about but Montana was in a league of his own.

this^^
Joe, kinda close but Joe would still be better just because of the doughnut in the L column.

4-0
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Brady top3 or top 5 qb ever BUT Joe is the GOAT best ever. Second best player ever behind Rice
Originally posted by superman49er:
if brady, or anybody gets 5, then yes, but that wont happen anytime soon

Basing greatness on number of championships is stupid.

Actually Montana was rather athletic. He ran a 4.5 and high jumped 6'10 in high school. If that's not athletic, then I don't know what is. Of course he was no steve young or mike vick, but was still very athletic. Brady on the other hand=no athleticism whatsoever. He has a good arm and can maneuver in the pocket, but he simply can't make plays with his feet or do any kind of play action bootleg kind of passes.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Yes

yeah if he wins two SB's as a 9er lol I'm down

a few SB records just for kicks

oh and Tom Brady didn't deserve his first super bowl MVP

Highest SB passer rating, career (40 attempts)
127.8 Joe Montana
122.8 Jim Plunkett
112.8 Terry Bradshaw

Most Consecutive Completions, Game
13 Joe Montana, San Francisco vs. Denver, XXIV
Phil Simms, N.Y. Giants vs. Denver, XXI
Troy Aikman, Dallas vs. Pittsburgh, XXX
Kurt Warner, Arizona vs. Pittsburgh, XLIII

Highest Completion Percentage, Career (40 attempts)
70.0 Troy Aikman, Dallas, 3 games, (80-56)
68.0 Joe Montana, San Francisco, 4 games (122-83)
64.1 Tom Brady, New England, 4 games (156-100)

Highest Completion Percentage, Game (20 attempts)
88.0 Phil Simms, N.Y. Giants vs. Denver, XXI (25-22)
75.9 Joe Montana, San Francisco vs. Denver, XXIV (29-22)
73.5 Ken Anderson, Cincinnati vs. San Francisco, XVI (34-25)

Most Touchdown Passes, Career
11 Joe Montana, San Francisco, 4 games
9 Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh, 4 games
8 Roger Staubach, Dallas, 4 games

Most Touchdown Passes, Game
6 Steve Young, San Francisco vs. San Diego, XXIX
5 Joe Montana, San Francisco vs. Denver, XXIV
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh vs. Dallas, XIII
Doug Williams, Washington vs. Denver, XXII
Troy Aikman, Dallas vs. Buffalo, XXVII

Lowest Percentage, Passes Had Intercepted, Career (40 attempts)
Jim Plunkett, Oakland-L.A. Raiders, 2 games (46-0)
Joe Montana, San Francisco, 4 games (122-0)
0.64 Tom Brady, New England, 4 games (156-1)
1.25 Troy Aikman, Dallas, 3 games (80-1)

Nuff said. Argument over.

I was lucky enough to watch Joe's entire career. I've also seen a bunch of other great QB's play the game...But there was nobody better than Joe Montana...Nobody. I'm not saying that because I'm a Niner fan. I'm saying it because its true.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Let's just say in some weird fantasy world that this summer Tom Brady becomes a free agent, signs with the Niners, and over the next 4 or 5 years wins another 2 Superbowls to end his career with SF.

With 5 Rings, 2 with us, would you call Brady the best ever????

I know it's ridiculous and all but we only have 5 days left and I have read every post in here 10 times looking for 1 tiny bit of new Niner info!

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever would i even think that. Montana had 2x the passion and work ethic of brady. He took more beatings and more pain than him. NEVER!!!!
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Yes

yeah if he wins two SB's as a 9er lol I'm down

a few SB records just for kicks

oh and Tom Brady didn't deserve his first super bowl MVP

Highest SB passer rating, career (40 attempts)
127.8 Joe Montana
122.8 Jim Plunkett
112.8 Terry Bradshaw

Most Consecutive Completions, Game
13 Joe Montana, San Francisco vs. Denver, XXIV
Phil Simms, N.Y. Giants vs. Denver, XXI
Troy Aikman, Dallas vs. Pittsburgh, XXX
Kurt Warner, Arizona vs. Pittsburgh, XLIII

Highest Completion Percentage, Career (40 attempts)
70.0 Troy Aikman, Dallas, 3 games, (80-56)
68.0 Joe Montana, San Francisco, 4 games (122-83)
64.1 Tom Brady, New England, 4 games (156-100)

Highest Completion Percentage, Game (20 attempts)
88.0 Phil Simms, N.Y. Giants vs. Denver, XXI (25-22)
75.9 Joe Montana, San Francisco vs. Denver, XXIV (29-22)
73.5 Ken Anderson, Cincinnati vs. San Francisco, XVI (34-25)

Most Touchdown Passes, Career
11 Joe Montana, San Francisco, 4 games
9 Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh, 4 games
8 Roger Staubach, Dallas, 4 games

Most Touchdown Passes, Game
6 Steve Young, San Francisco vs. San Diego, XXIX
5 Joe Montana, San Francisco vs. Denver, XXIV
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh vs. Dallas, XIII
Doug Williams, Washington vs. Denver, XXII
Troy Aikman, Dallas vs. Buffalo, XXVII

Lowest Percentage, Passes Had Intercepted, Career (40 attempts)
Jim Plunkett, Oakland-L.A. Raiders, 2 games (46-0)
Joe Montana, San Francisco, 4 games (122-0)
0.64 Tom Brady, New England, 4 games (156-1)
1.25 Troy Aikman, Dallas, 3 games (80-1)

Nuff said. Argument over.

Damn, love seeing Joe's numbers against the rest of the league. He trully was a cut above the rest.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Let's just say in some weird fantasy world that this summer Tom Brady becomes a free agent, signs with the Niners, and over the next 4 or 5 years wins another 2 Superbowls to end his career with SF.

With 5 Rings, 2 with us, would you call Brady the best ever????

I know it's ridiculous and all but we only have 5 days left and I have read every post in here 10 times looking for 1 tiny bit of new Niner info!

Stop with this s**t...the answer is NO...NEVER!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone