LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

Would Brady pass Montana in your mind???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by WINiner:
bunch of Blind homers here, I swear.

imo, yes Montana is the greatest for what Joe has done as a player.....but to downplay what Brady has done in his career like some are doing in this thread, is just nonsense.

In comparison to Montana it isn't. Adam Vinateri won more SB's than Tom Brady did. Bill Walsh didn't cheat for his QB like Belicheat did. Tom Brady is good, real good, but he's no Montana and that fate is already sealed by history.

OMG THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! when I say Blind Homers.... Adam Vinateri won more SB's than Tom Brady?

Vinateri DID NOT KICK A 80 yard field goal in the playoffs and the SuperBowls.... Tom Brady drove his team down the field in crunch time when it counted most.

what ever I'm wasting in this thread....there are Football fans and then there are just blind 9er fans who don't understand football.

Jim Kelly did the same thing sept his kicker failed him
hey guys remember that year when Montana threw for 4800 yards and 50 tds??

discuss
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Not a chance... Tom Brady was developed with remarkable advantages from Belichick's foul, cheating ways. How hard is it for a QB to have success when he knows what a defense is gonna do? He gets no love from me, as he didn't have to endure the same development as quarterbacks do.

Stop it. Belichick just got caught. Like the Reggie Bush deal at USC, everyone does it.
Originally posted by WINiner:
bunch of Blind homers here, I swear.

imo, yes Montana is the greatest for what Joe has done as a player.....but to downplay what Brady has done in his career like some are doing in this thread, is just nonsense.

In comparison to Montana it isn't. Adam Vinateri won more SB's than Tom Brady did. Bill Walsh didn't cheat for his QB like Belicheat did. Tom Brady is good, real good, but he's no Montana and that fate is already sealed by history.

OMG THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! when I say Blind Homers.... Adam Vinateri won more SB's than Tom Brady?

Vinateri DID NOT KICK A 80 yard field goal in the playoffs and the SuperBowls.... Tom Brady drove his team down the field in crunch time when it counted most.

what ever I'm wasting in this thread....there are Football fans and then there are just blind 9er fans who don't understand football.

It has nothing to do with being "a blind homer", it has to do with a difference in opinion. I understand football every bit as much as most on this forum, don't flatter yourself.

I like and respect Brady. I pray to the football gods that Belicheats ego allows Brady to become a FA this next year and he lands in SF. But, IN MY OPINION, he is not the QB Montana was. IMO the rules of the game, alone make that distinction, but even in an era of offensive rules football, Vinaterie was relied upon too heavily. In SB's Montana was just in command and there was never any doubt whether he could accomplish victory.

Now how about you accept my opinion and stop the insults. I disagree with it, but I accept you opinion as yours. I question how many SB's you actually watched Montana play in, but I accept the opinion.
[ Edited by WINiner on Sep 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM ]
gtfo
Brady isn't, and IMO hasn't ever been, the best QB playing in the NFL. How can he be the best ever if he isn't even the best while he is playing? He's a very good QB playing in the perfect system for him, with great coaching, and a great Defense (when they were winning championships).
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Not a chance... Tom Brady was developed with remarkable advantages from Belichick's foul, cheating ways. How hard is it for a QB to have success when he knows what a defense is gonna do? He gets no love from me, as he didn't have to endure the same development as quarterbacks do.

Stop it. Belichick just got caught. Like the Reggie Bush deal at USC, everyone does it.

Those two things share no similarities. None.
Man, I figured I would get flamed then locked for starting this thread and it has actually caused a little debate.

Personally, Montana will always be #1 to me but I think it is almost out of mythical legend more than actual skill vs Brady or anyone else. Joe has 4 RIngs, no turnover and along with Walsh set this franchise on a path that is pretty much unparralleled in the NFL.

He wasn't the only great player we had though, and the Niners did suffer some pretty big losses during his time as well.

Regardless of a couple of FG wins, I would say the teams Brady took to and won Superbowls were not nearly as talented as the Niners of the 80's. Also, although Montana went up against some legendary teams and players, the NFL in general is faster, rogher, and more skilled than in Montana's era.

Lastly, again I am not trying to compare Brady today, I am trying to hypothetically compare Brady in 2015 with 5 Rings, with the last couple coming with us. I might still answer Montana out of loyalty, and Brady might never truly feel like a Niner if he only played here 3 or 4 seasons, but I think the majority of non-Niner homers would give it to Brady.

And of course, to bring this back to reality, Brady isn't coming here, he will play hi entire career in New England, and hopefully never get the 4th Ring because Alex Smith will win every Superbowl until he retires. Or Nate Davis.. err Troy Smith, or Mike Vick, or Jake Locker
Tom Brady is also the luckiest man alive. He's the only guy that can be down by less than a TD in the 4th quarter of an AFC Divisional playoff game, throw an INT on 4th down, and end up getting a first down on the same play. He actually threw three picks in that game. He's been getting lucky like that his entire career. No one else has this kind of luck. I think he made a deal with the devil.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Tom Brady is also the luckiest man alive. He's the only guy that can be down by less than a TD in the 4th quarter of an AFC Divisional playoff game, throw an INT on 4th down, and end up getting a first down on the same play. He actually threw three picks in that game. He's been getting lucky like that his entire career. No one else has this kind of luck. I think he made a deal with the devil.

this guy married gisele???

Originally posted by znk916:

discuss

. . . . and then lost in the Superbowl . . .

discuss
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

discuss

discuss

on one of the luckiest receptions in NFL history.

Brady didnt lose that game by himself. Give the Giants credit. They brought their A+++ game and had the lucky ass catch by tyree
[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 7, 2010 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Man, I figured I would get flamed then locked for starting this thread and it has actually caused a little debate.

Personally, Montana will always be #1 to me but I think it is almost out of mythical legend more than actual skill vs Brady or anyone else. Joe has 4 RIngs, no turnover and along with Walsh set this franchise on a path that is pretty much unparralleled in the NFL.

He wasn't the only great player we had though, and the Niners did suffer some pretty big losses during his time as well.

Regardless of a couple of FG wins, I would say the teams Brady took to and won Superbowls were not nearly as talented as the Niners of the 80's. Also, although Montana went up against some legendary teams and players, the NFL in general is faster, rogher, and more skilled than in Montana's era.

Lastly, again I am not trying to compare Brady today, I am trying to hypothetically compare Brady in 2015 with 5 Rings, with the last couple coming with us. I might still answer Montana out of loyalty, and Brady might never truly feel like a Niner if he only played here 3 or 4 seasons, but I think the majority of non-Niner homers would give it to Brady.

And of course, to bring this back to reality, Brady isn't coming here, he will play hi entire career in New England, and hopefully never get the 4th Ring because Alex Smith will win every Superbowl until he retires. Or Nate Davis.. err Troy Smith, or Mike Vick, or Jake Locker

I would disagree the NFL is rougher today. I think it was MUCH rougher in the past. Today, you can't REALLY hit the QB. You can't REALLY smack the hell out of a receiver if he isn't looking (Ronnie Lott would be fined every game in this league). As far as speed... Darrell Green, Rod Woodson were pretty damn fast, also Dieon Sanders (young). The NFL always had speed. But, back then... it had grit. Players today (generally) just don't have enough of that in my opinion.

I wouldn't be so sure about skill being higher today either. Rules make it easier for QBs, WRs to play. That doesn't really raise the bar requiring higher skill level. Players get paid more also, as we've seen players disappear after a payday.

Teams today are in no way comparable to the dynastic teams of the 70s, 80s, and 90s. They were stacked top to bottom. It was a problem because the lower teams couldn't compete. That is the reason for free agency, salary cap, and rules changes (also for high offensive football).
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

discuss

discuss

on one of the luckiest receptions in NFL history.

Brady didnt lose that game by himself. Give the Giants credit. They brought their A+++ game and had the lucky ass catch by tyree

He didn't win it himself either. He had the best offense in the history of football and they lost. He's never won a big game when it was all on him. Joe did that on a regular basis.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by bigmur49:

Joe Montana 4 SB wins in 9 years only player to win 3 SB MVP
Terry Bradshaw 4 SB wins in 6 years 2 MVP
Tom Brady 3 SB wins in 4 years 2 MVP

There's your top three QB's of all time

Interesting tidbit Montana grew up just outside of Pittsburgh as a Steelers fan and Brady grew up just outside of San Francisco as a 9ers fan
Share 49ersWebzone